Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Local road rage shooting

Now that they have come out with all of his YouTube rants about the Government, this road altercation with a wounding, might be a blessing in disguise. Political views aside, this guy seems to be a mentally unstable loose cannon. I hope they do a closer background check on him to prevent this happening again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxeq9gihn7k&feature=player_embedded#
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExVMPSIugds&feature=related

oh man, i thought he looked familiar....a little on the unstable side, i guess

If only we had light rail then this would have never happened.

It's against the law to tap your brakes? This guy will get away with this, it is going to be self defense. Might make people think twice the next time they have the urge to flip someone off. Or act tough and try to scare someone by approaching them.

He is clearly emotionally/mentally impaired to some degree. Unfortunately, his statements of, "I was afraid he was going to spit on me" didn't more closely resemble something like, "I was afraid for my life".

Oh my god.... at 4:21 of the third video you link to, he hoists up his gun and talks about how it'll never be taken away from him. Then the gun goes out of view, and you can hear him casually playing with the revolver like it's a toy, clicking it and tossing it around.

Paging the prosecution!

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Good one Izzy.

Ya gotta love a shout out to all those on here who think that a nifty choo-choo will solve all of the region's problems!

Incidences occurring on all of the public transit systems in the world related to carelessness, rage, or straight up crime are a drop in the bucket compared to what happens just on US roadways each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    It's against the law to tap your brakes? This guy will get away with this, it is going to be self defense. Might make people think twice the next time they have the urge to flip someone off. Or act tough and try to scare someone by approaching them.
    Ya think so?

I'm not saying he won't but isn't there some rationale where the shooter has to come up with evidence that he felt as though his life was threatened in order to fire off a gun in defense? It's one thing to have a person yell at you, maybe even point a mean finger, or shout profanities but is that justification for the gun play? Is this going to be his defense?

Yeah, instead it would just be fighting on that! LOL! [[just joking)... what maybe not.

I am not anti-second amendment, but he sound sorta kooky... and playing with guns willy-nilly can be dangerous. Just keep it cleaned and put it up unless for real defense... ala a life and death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    Oh my god.... at 4:21 of the third video you link to, he hoists up his gun and talks about how it'll never be taken away from him. Then the gun goes out of view, and you can hear him casually playing with the revolver like it's a toy, clicking it and tossing it around.

Paging the prosecution!

So, given this loser's anti-government and anti-tax feelings, who do you suppose will be paying for his defense attorney?

If there's no jobs, no one can afford to ride the train.
    The economy still stinks.

In one of the videos, did this guy say he was not Christian and didn't want to be indoctrinated only to go on to say that the U.S. was founded as a Christian nation and thus should remain as one?

It is a shame that this incident happened and I don't know what the mentality of the shooter was, but having knowing the victim for years, I am not surprised this happened. People just need to realize that when people act like idiots tapping on their brakes and acting stupid is a reason to go around and get away from the person - not confront him, or antagonize them more!

Well I guess this nut job flies under the local news radar, while we get constant updates on "Dancing with the Stars" and "The Biggest Losers" and "Oprah".
    Well what about that buried arsenal in Michigan ? Or local murderers ?
    I want news, not fluff.

Posted: Aug. 7, 2010
    Crying forces judge to halt trial
    Suspect in shooting is facing jail time

BY L.L. BRASIER
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A judge had to call a brief recess mid-trial Friday after the defendant, charged with shooting a man in the elbow during a road rage episode, began to cry inconsolably.

Carl Mintz, 27, of Farmington Hills is charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm in the shooting of Faith Said, 20, of Commerce Township during an April 12 confrontation on Orchard Lake and 13 Mile roads.

Mintz says the shooting was in self-defense.

As defense attorney Mitchell Ribitwer described in his opening statement to the 10 women and four men on the jury how Said stormed to Mintz's car, screaming and spitting on him, Mintz put his head down and began to sob.

Oakland County Circuit Judge Leo Bowman sent the jurors out of the courtroom and Mintz continued to cry, his shoulders shaking. He continued to cry after jurors were brought back in.

Prosecutors contend Mintz shot Said in a moment of fury after Said confronted him for repeatedly hitting the brakes on his car, forcing Said, in the car behind him, to also slam on his.

"Armed and angry is a bad combination," Assistant Prosecutor Ricardo Polanco said of Mintz. "And he was armed. And he was angry."

But Ribitwer said that Mintz, who had a license to carry a handgun, was frightened for his life as Said screamed and threatened him outside his driver's side window. Ribitwer said when Said turned and appeared to be reaching for his pocket, Mintz thought he was going for a weapon.

"Said was out of control, which led Mr. Mintz to believe he was a serious threat," Ribitwer said.

Said was shot in the elbow. He was treated at a nearby hospital and released. He is expected to testify at trial, which resumes next week.

Mintz, who has no prior criminal record and has a degree in criminal justice from Wayne State University, faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted. Jurors also can consider the lesser charge of felonious assault, a four-year felony. He is also charged with using a handgun in the commission of a felony, which carries a two-year sentence.

Contact L.L. BRASIER: 248-858-2262 or brasier@freepress.com

Read more: Crying forces judge to halt trial | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2010080...#ixzz0vzG6ctq1

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Well I guess this nut job flies under the local news radar, while we get constant updates on "Dancing with the Stars" and "The Biggest Losers" and "Oprah".
    Well what about that buried arsenal in Michigan ? Or local murderers ?
    I want news, not fluff.
    C'mon man, you know better than that...real news covered from our local media?
    not happening...don't forget to watch Guy Gordons report on peanut butter! What do local people prefer?.... smooth or crunchy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    I sincerly hope you don't ever cut someone off on accident SST.........

This guy can't seriously justify shooting a human being because of words and spit. Sad day when you have to worry about being shot because you flipped someone off. Whoever pulls out a weapon because of tailgating, or gettin the bird, has SERIOUS mental issues and should not be part of mainstream society.
    I was under the impression, that if you remove your gun from wherever you keep it, be it for self defense or the aid of another, and point it at a target, you MUST have every intention on destroying that target. No wingin' him.......head or chest, that's it, period, end of story. What if I was in the next lane and watched the altercation. I could see that the agressor had no weapon and was nothing more than irate and spitting, then a shot rings out and he hits the road. Am I justified in blowing the shooters head off? Is this coming to the defense of another or just plain old murder? I understand being really scared about the situation, but c'mon.
    No weapon? Roll up your window and drive away.

ja!mz - both are good, the problem is when you have a centimeter of oil on top

Last Updated: August 16. 2010 12:32PM
    Road rage shooting trial ends with hung jury
    Mike Martindale / The Detroit News

Pontiac -- An Oakland Circuit judge declared a mistrial this morning in a road rage case after jurors told him they were unable to reach a unanimous verdict in their fourth day of deliberations.

Carl Mintz, 28, of Farmington Hills is charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm and felony firearm in an April 12 incident in which he wounded another motorist in the arm during an altercation on Orchard Lake Road in Farmington Hills. Mintz said he acted in self-defense after Faith Said of Commerce Township got out of his car behind him, approached Mintz's vehicle in a threatening manner and made a motion as if reaching for his own weapon.

The jury of nine women and three men sent Judge Leo Bowman a note about 11 this morning that said: "We are at a deadlock and there is no chance of anyone changing their mind."

Advertisement

Bowman said he had no choice but to declare a mistrial because of the hung jury and rescheduled a new trial for Oct. 14.

On a motion from defense attorney Mitchell Ribitwer, Bowman modified Mintz's bond to $50,000, with 10 percent to be posted. Mintz, who has no criminal history and has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, has been in jail since April because he has been unable to raise the $50,000 cash bond.

Bowman said conditions of the 10 percent bond will require that Mintz not possess any weapon -- "gun or other dangerous weapon" -- and that he wear a GPS tether and restrict his movements to work, home and his attorney's office only.

mmartindale@detnews.com [[248) 338-0319

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100816/...#ixzz0wpnlYh1M