Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Let's regionalize Cobo so we can move forward with an expansion

Wasn't that the rallying cry?

Looks like it might not happen. Now the question is: Had this happended under Detroit control would there have been 'outrage' over the city's incompetence and dragging their feet on something so important.

Why do I expect the tone to be very different now that it is the region dragging their feet on the expansion? Why do I expect that people would be bitching about dropping 100K on a study if this were done by the city?

Cobo expansion may not happen

Jim Lynch / The Detroit News

Detroit -- The expansion of Cobo Center, considered by some to be necessary for keeping the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, may not take place.
    Officials with the Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority, which operates Cobo, have funded a market study to determine whether an expansion of the 50-year-old facility is necessary. In recent years, members of the Detroit Area Auto Dealers have said the convention center needs to be expanded to host the auto show, which is one of the biggest annual events hosted by the city.
    The authority hired Minneapolis-based consulting firm Conventions, Sports & Leisure to study the need for the expansion. That report, which will cost the authority as much as $100,000, will be delivered by June.
    Advertisement
    "We believe that once the strategic plan comes back evaluating Detroit's market as well as markets across the county and comparable facilities, we'll have a better idea of how we should move forward," said Jamaine Dickens, a spokesman for the authority.
    He added members of the auto dealers group will be involved at every step of the decision-making process.
    The authority, which took control of Cobo in September, is made up of representatives from Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties, Detroit and the state.
    Plans have been in the works for a $288 million expansion that could add at least 166,000 square-feet. The facility's current configuration features roughly 700,000 feet.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100413/...#ixzz0l0FRi2vQ

It needs to expand and update if Cobo wants to attract more conventions. NAIAS isn't going to cut it. If we want more, we need more space. I can't believe they're saying this!

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It needs to expand and update if Cobo wants to attract more conventions. NAIAS isn't going to cut it. If we want more, we need more space. I can't believe they're saying this!
    That's what's comical about this. The sakle for regionalizing [[which I supported) was that they would be able to move quicker on upgrades and an expansion. This would help bring in more conventions.

Well, we have a region with no vision running it and now questioning if money should be spent on it. I wouldn't be surprised if Cobo isn't expanded and some of the monies marked for Cobo are then distributed to other conventions centers in the region.

I can however guarantee that there will either be no talk of this or it will be supported as good financial sense. Had this happended under Detroit's authority people would be up in arms about wasting 100K on a study and getting nothing done to improve Cobo.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    That's what's comical about this. The sakle for regionalizing [[which I supported) was that they would be able to move quicker on upgrades and an expansion. This would help bring in more conventions.

Well, we have a region with no vision running it and now questioning if money should be spent on it. I wouldn't be surprised if Cobo isn't expanded and some of the monies marked for Cobo are then distributed to other conventions centers in the region.

I can however guarantee that there will either be no talk of this or it will be supported as good financial sense. Had this happended under Detroit's authority people would be up in arms about wasting 100K on a study and getting nothing done to improve Cobo.

Bait and Switch.

In lawmaking, "caption bills" that propose minor changes in law with simplistic titles [[the bait) are introduced to the legislature with the ultimate objective of substantially changing the wording [[the switch) at a later date in order to try to smooth the passage of a controversial or major amendment. Rule changes are also proposed [[the bait) to meet legal requirements for public notice and mandated public hearings, then different rules are proposed at a final meeting [[the switch), thus bypassing the objective of public notice and public discussion on the actual rules voted upon. While legal, the political objective is to get legislation or rules passed without anticipated negative community review.

And now they're going to do the same with the City of Detroit's Pensions.

Right now, in its current size, Cobo can host more than 90% of U.S. conventions. And the City of Detroit doesn't have the hotel package to allow Cobo to sell the other 10%. Did you ever hear the caution against building a church for Easter Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Right now, in its current size, Cobo can host more than 90% of U.S. conventions. And the City of Detroit doesn't have the hotel package to allow Cobo to sell the other 10%. Did you ever hear the caution against building a church for Easter Sunday?
    The regionalization of Cobo was predicated on moving forward with an expansion. One can argue if it is needed but it was moved to a regional authroity for two purposes [[1) better management and [[2) move forward with an expansion.

The debate whether the church needs to be built was already held and promises were made. Of course there will be no local outrage because a regional authority lied. Had the city lied you can damn well believe that there would be outrage in the news, sound bites from the drunk POS L. Brooks Patterson, etc.

The regional authority didn't "lie" - they are appointees of the regional govenments and were apponted to make these decisions after the legislation was proposed and passed.

Why not? Zoning regulations all over America require parking lots to handle the Saturday before Christmas.

What's another lousy $288 million of public money. It's not like Detroit is broke or anything.

Wasn't that the rallying cry?

Looks like it might not happen. Now the question is: Had this happended under Detroit control would there have been 'outrage' over the city's incompetence and dragging their feet on something so important.

Why do I expect the tone to be very different now that it is the region dragging their feet on the expansion? Why do I expect that people would be bitching about dropping 100K on a study if this were done by the city?

Cobo expansion may not happen

Jim Lynch / The Detroit News

Detroit -- The expansion of Cobo Center, considered by some to be necessary for keeping the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, may not take place.
    Officials with the Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority, which operates Cobo, have funded a market study to determine whether an expansion of the 50-year-old facility is necessary. In recent years, members of the Detroit Area Auto Dealers have said the convention center needs to be expanded to host the auto show, which is one of the biggest annual events hosted by the city.
    The authority hired Minneapolis-based consulting firm Conventions, Sports & Leisure to study the need for the expansion. That report, which will cost the authority as much as $100,000, will be delivered by June.

Advertisement

"We believe that once the strategic plan comes back evaluating Detroit's market as well as markets across the county and comparable facilities, we'll have a better idea of how we should move forward," said Jamaine Dickens, a spokesman for the authority.
    He added members of the auto dealers group will be involved at every step of the decision-making process.
    The authority, which took control of Cobo in September, is made up of representatives from Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties, Detroit and the state.
    Plans have been in the works for a $288 million expansion that could add at least 166,000 square-feet. The facility's current configuration features roughly 700,000 feet.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100413/...#ixzz0l0FRi2vQ
    The whole reasoning behind the renovation/expansion in the first place was to provide ample space and ammenities for the autoshow to keep them from leaving town. The NAIAS continues to plead for more space, so by passing the legislation last summer, we were looking to keep them there by providing more space, but now, we won't be providing them more space, so they will probably pack up and leave.

They had to spend $58 million on delayed maintenance just to get the hall in shape for the NAIAS 2010 - fix the roof leaks, get the dock upgraded, upgrade the electricity, buy insurance [[never had to have it before as City of Detroit self-insures), hire staff, develop financial systems,etc. Then there's more on-going maintenance that needs to be addressed . Cobo used to be a "loss leader" for city of Detroit but now, after 2012, it has to support itself with a balanced budget. Pretty hard to do all that and expand on $200 million left. I read the articles today and the authority is just saying they are looking for a real business case to support expansion. If future payback isn't there - why should they when they can make it the nicest hall in its class?

They had to spend $58 million on delayed maintenance just to get the hall in shape for the NAIAS 2010 - fix the roof leaks, get the dock upgraded, upgrade the electricity, buy insurance [[never had to have it before as City of Detroit self-insures), hire staff, develop financial systems,etc. Then there's more on-going maintenance that needs to be addressed . Cobo used to be a "loss leader" for city of Detroit but now, after 2012, it has to support itself with a balanced budget. Pretty hard to do all that and expand on $200 million left. I read the articles today and the authority is just saying they are looking for a real business case to support expansion. If future payback isn't there - why should they when they can make it the nicest hall in its class?
    $230MM [[It was $288 MM) left for capital improvements. The operational funding still comes in through hotel/liqyuor taxes.

So what happens to the $200 MM if they scrap their plans?

They have to pay the City of Detroit $20 million for the parking very soon.

The hotel/liquor tax is encumbered right now thru 2015 paying off the last Cobo expansion. Then that revenue stream will be applied to any new bonds sold - and there will have be some serious borrowing to expand.

I can't believe this thread. Even though some well noted Detroiters think Cobo is a "jewel"... it's a freaking $#itbox. Can you really blame the commission if they decide that the money is better spent upgrading the facility to be a competent convention center instead of using it to make a $#itbox a slightly bigger $#itbox?

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    I can't believe this thread. Even though some well noted Detroiters think Cobo is a "jewel"... it's a freaking $#itbox. Can you really blame the commission if they decide that the money is better spent upgrading the facility to be a competent convention center instead of using it to make a $#itbox a slightly bigger $#itbox?
    Every time I've been in there it looked pretty damm good to me. I never really notice anything wrong with the place.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    I agree that it is a tired, beat convention center. My issues lies with the fact that the intent of having regional oversight was to move towards expansion quicker with more regional cooperation. I also wonder if the media and local officials address this in the same manner than they would have if it was still city owned.

The entire driving force behind regionalizing cobo was expansion of Cobo. This makes me wonder about the integrity of regionalization. I also wonder if regionalizing Cobo was a ploy to move regional control to allow greater opportunities for shows in Novi and the new Macomb County facility being built.

I typically do not call out conspiracy theories but I am getting the feeling that the intent is to do the bare minimum with Cobo then allow the OC and MC facilities to compete for conventions.

I am a proponent of regionalization [[and anyone but CoD managing anything) but I suspect this will ultimately lead to mroe exhibitions being directed to other convention centers.

Absolutely nothing exists in Oakland County or Macomb County that can compete for anything but the smallest conventions. Nor is there likely to be any such thing built. and what about the hotel package that would need to be built. you have to have thousands of rooms within walking distance to make bids for conventions.

You folks sure are getting your feathers ruffled over 1 newspaper article...

Lets wait and see what the results are before manning the pitchforks and torches...

If the NAIAS has input in this entire process... then you may be worrying for naught!

Usually many of you are more often than not somewhat sceptical of media articles...
    Last edited by Gistok; April-13-10 at 04:38 PM.

I also wonder if the media and local officials address this in the same manner than they would have if it was still city owned.
    Yeah I got that from your first post. Which I was why I said I can't believe this thread. You're whining... not about real events, but about hypothetical events... and not even events that could hypothetically take place in the future, but events that could have hypothetically happened but didn't and never will. This "boo hoo the suburbs/media/etc are mean to us" attitude is getting old.

The entire driving force behind regionalizing cobo was expansion of Cobo
    Well that was part of it, upgrades to the facility were the other part. I thought that would be pretty obvious since upgrades have already started while expansion has not.

I also wonder if regionalizing Cobo was a ploy to move regional control to allow greater opportunities for shows in Novi and the new Macomb County facility being built.

I typically do not call out conspiracy theories but I am getting the feeling that the intent is to do the bare minimum with Cobo then allow the OC and MC facilities to compete for conventions.
    Yeah that makes sense... the regional commission is out to destroy Cobo's business, and you can see it in all their actions thus far! Fixing the leaking roof, upgrading electrical systems, etc are clearly all designed to keep Cobo down.

If the suburban powers that be really wanted to let Cobo go down the drain and steal all that convention business, they could have done something much easier and cheaper than regionalizing it. All they would have had to do is... absolutely nothing! There was no way Cobo was going to survive the way it was being run. The suburbs could have sat on their hands and accomplished what you think they are conspiring to do without lifting a finger or spending a dime.

Bottom line: you're being ridiculous.

"EFF it"

Let's just build a new convention center/arena and be done with it. If Cobo is a dump and the Joe is a dump then the region needs new buildings. The city and suburbs can build a new "Cobo" somewhere in FoxTown and connect the new arena to it and tear down those crappy eyesores down and open up the riverfront.

[[of course, Detroit would need to find a vein of gold or a diamond mine or perhaps some "unobtainium" in Detroit to make that dream happen)

For real, there is no money here. It is time to make do. The regional board cannot make anything happen without any money. If the money was there, this would be a moot point but this is different day.

I think they just didn't want people rushing to conclusions for whatever reason. I have a feeling that $100,000 study will just come to the conclusion that "Uh, yeah you need to expand COBO. We take Visa, Mastercard and American Express. Thanks for your business."

It's pretty damn obvious if NAIAS is demanding more space, then COBO needs to expand. I think it will expand into the arena, joe louis, or both.

"Let's regionalize Cobo so we can move forward with an expansion

Wasn't that the rallying cry? "

I thought the D-Town yell was "Tear That Shit Down!"?

Perhaps I'm wrong ... Bueller? Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanTom View Post
    I think they just didn't want people rushing to conclusions for whatever reason. I have a feeling that $100,000 study will just come to the conclusion that "Uh, yeah you need to expand COBO. We take Visa, Mastercard and American Express. Thanks for your business."
    Pretty much. I think that it will happen this time, especially if the rumblings about a new home for the Wings are true.

Anyway, Cobo isn't the crappiest convention center I've ever had the privilege to visit. That honor goes to the "Ice Cube" in Daytona Beach, Florida. It makes Cobo seem like a brand spankin' new facility.

Cobo could defiantly use some renovations and maybe an expansion, but of course the auto show people want it expanded. That doesn't mean they have to have it or they'll leave, even if they say that.

I think a more important issue for attracting conventions is the lack of a transit link to the airport. There is no rail and no express bus to the airport. This could be easily fixed with at the bare minimum an express bus that runs from Downtown to the airport along I-94.

How can we expect to have very many conventions if people can't even get from the airport to the city? Not everyone can afford or wants to rent a car. Taxis are grossly expensive. Why can't there be a 2.00 bus ride?

A transit link from the airport to Downtown should be included in any regional plan to expand the convention center.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Cobo could defiantly use some renovations and maybe an expansion, but of course the auto show people want it expanded. That doesn't mean they have to have it or they'll leave, even if they say that.

I think a more important issue for attracting conventions is the lack of a transit link to the airport. There is no rail and no express bus to the airport. This could be easily fixed with at the bare minimum an express bus that runs from Downtown to the airport along I-94.

How can we expect to have very many conventions if people can't even get from the airport to the city? Not everyone can afford or wants to rent a car. Taxis are grossly expensive. Why can't there be a 2.00 bus ride?

A transit link from the airport to Downtown should be included in any regional plan to expand the convention center.
    Agreed.....

I am a born Detroiter but years ago I left for California only to return to Detroit and I admit I looked at the area with different eyes. Living in the Bay Area, I found it very convenient to go to the BART station and take the BART either to Oakland's airport [[via shuttle) or SFO. In Minneapolis, they have a light rail that goes from MPLS/STPAUL to downtown. Same in many other cities yet Detroit never constructed a rail from downtown to Metro. Insane.... Not every traveler is willing to paid high fees to travel by car and why go downtown when you can lay your head at the nearest hotel....in Romulus.

Mass transit should have been a reality 40 years ago and Southeastern MI wonders why people avoid the state.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Agreed.....
    Mass transit should have been a reality 40 years ago and Southeastern MI wonders why people avoid the state.
    People don't "avoid`the state of Michigan because of the lack of mass transit. They avoid the state because of lack of economic opportunity. When the auto companies [[and their massive satellite of suppliers) were humming, Oakland County perennially was one of the five fastest growing counties in the US. Macomb County was not far behind. Both were growing in population much faster than the population decline of Detroit. In addition to Detroit, the northern counties and the U.P. have experienced population loss due to the decline of their extractive industries [[timber, iron ore, copper). If the auto industry comes back, southeastern Michigan will come back. Other industries will not move in because of the really bad business environment encoded in the state laws and regulations. A streetcar system in Detroit is not going to turn this around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast