Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rare Earth is playing Alvin’s in Detroit this Friday

Hello DetroitYes!
    Rare Earth is playing Alvin’s in Detroit
    Friday Apr 16, 2010
    10.00pm.
    Come check ‘em out! Hope to see you all there.
    God Bless
    Johnnie Sue

Is it still the original members?

Only Gil Bridges. Ray Monette is with them, starting in '71[[?)

I would love to post some really great photos of the band, but I cannot figure out how to upload them. Help!

By the way, Gil is the one single member that has played on every recording Rare Earth ever recorded, including when they were called the Sunlinners. I think that is a cool accomplishment. I am very proud of him for keeping Rare Earth alive and still recording and touring after all these years.

Rare Earth Band Members

Gil Bridges.... sax, flute, vocals, lead vocals for 49 years
    The longest serving member of both Rare Earth and The Sunliners

Since1961

Ray Monette.... lead guitar for 39 years
    Since 1971

Ray does play with the Funk Brothers, as well, and was a session musician on many of Motown’s hit records of various artists.

Randy Burghdoff...bass guitar for 26 years
    Since 1984

Floyd Stokes.... drums and lead vocals for 17 years
    Since 1993

Mike Bruner...keyboards for 13 years
    Since 1997

Here are some pretty interesting Rare Earth FYI excerpts taken from my up and coming book, “Rare Earth—The Real Story”

In 1961 a group of high school buddies formed a band and called it "The Sunliners". After playing for about seven years the group decided to change the name of the band. Henceforth comes "Rare Earth".

Rare Earth played the Ed Sullivan Show September 24, 1970. It was quite the experience to see a skating swan princess being caught by surprise when Rare Earth broke out with “Losin’ You.” The band was playing on a bed of ice while psychedelic hippies with yellow, green and purple hair danced on skates circling around the guys.

Rare Earth apperaed on American Bandstand three times.

There were a total of 207 episodes of my most favorite show of the day—Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert, and my most favorite band—Rare Earth, played two of those shows.

Rare Earth played Midnight Special three times.
    The Midnight Special premiered as a “special” on August 19, 1972, and then began its run as a regular series with a full cast and crew on February 2, 1973, stamped as episode #1.1. It was on that very date when Rare Earth was cast as one of The Midnight Special’s performing artists. Jim Croce was a guest on that first show as well. Gil Bridges quotes, “The broadcasting stage of The Midnight Special was set up for the entertainers to pantomime or lip-synch, whatever you wanted to call it. When we—Rare Earth, showed up at the studio, we insisted on singing live. This sent the entire crew scrambling to find real microphones and equipment. The show was to air live in just a few hours and they had to work at mock-speed if they were gonna pull that together in time. Although this did bring about a lot of pandemonium, over all, the crew and the producers were extremely excited. However, it did scare some of ‘em; this was a new thing for them to pull off—but for the most part they were all geeked. We blew ‘em away! After that, the producers of The Midnight Special asked us back a total of three times.”

Default Rare Earth is playing Alvin’s in Detroit this Friday

Rare Earth across the River

I tried to upload some photos and cannot figure it out. Sorry Detroityes!

Im going!!! yayy this will be fun.. I cant believe they are playing a bar venue.. They never do. Sweet ok see u there JS

SMK

Hey some of my girls are going too!

Rare Earth Rocked Alvin’s in Detroit Last Night

On behalf of myself and Rare Earth, I would like to thank all the wonderful Detroiters that packed Alvin’s last night. The dance floor was rockin’ in harmony, especially with “Get Ready.” We had an absolute blast. As always, Rare Earth’s goal is to play their very best at every concert, and they certainly do that every single time! Hometown gigs are always nail biters for the band, and for me. Even though pleasing the crowd is never a problem for Rare Earth, there is just something about playing at home that brings about an unexplainable excitement. We love Detroit. May the music always bring happiness to all the people!

And might I add: no matter what is being said about Detroit, I got news for ya—us Detroiters know how to rock! We were driving around the inner city streets of Cass Corridor at 2: am this morning. The city was astoundingly beautiful. The streets were clean and there was no sign of violence whatsoever! I love Detroit; the city rocks! Come see Detroit. We got a lot of great stuff going on here. And it has only begun. Summer is around the corner and that’s when Detroit lights up and the people come out!

God Bless Detroit!

Johnnie Sue Bridges

I thought I'd post this here, as well. Just in case we missed saying thank you to a fan.

I'm so upset that I missed this.

Rare Earth trivia.

The bands first name was not "The Sunliners", it was "The Glowworms", back when they were kids.

We went last nite to the concert.the band was great! I've always wanted to see them.fabulous performance

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Rare Earth trivia.

The bands first name was not "The Sunliners", it was "The Glowworms", back when they were kids.
    RickBeall,

You are correct. Here is another snippet from “Rare Earth—The Real Story”

In short, this is how the story goes. The Glo-Worms approached John Persh and asked him to join the band. John was scared to perform to a live audience, so he refused their offer. John went to Gil Bridges and told him he should call the Glo-Worms because they said they were possibly looking for another sax player and he had already told them about Gil. Fred, Ralph and Gil met in the local library. This is where Gil agreed to join the band. However, there was one stipulation on Gil’s part. He refused to play in a band called The Glo-Worms. He insisted on the name of the band being changed, and the guys agreed. One of the fellas suggested The Sunliners—after Gil’s car. At the time, Gil was driving a hot new, black 1956 Ford Sunliner. Not only would Gil’s car provide the band with wheels and freedom, but henceforth a new name, as well. The Sunliners were born.

Johnnie Sue-does Gil and Ray live in the metro area?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Sue Bridges View Post
    I tried to upload some photos and cannot figure it out. Sorry Detroityes!

Go to www.tinypic.com

Very easy to upload there and copy/paste the link here.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Johnnie Sue-does Gil and Ray live in the metro area?
    Yes, they do live in the Metro area. In 1972 they both packed up with Motown and moved to California, but Gil returned to the Detroit area in 1984 and Ray returned in 1982.
    Last edited by Johnnie Sue Bridges; April-17-10 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    We went last nite to the concert.the band was great! I've always wanted to see them.fabulous performance
    By the way pgn421, thanks for coming. We had a great time,as well. Rare Earth does rock; that's for sure. Did you see the two guys dressed in the "way cool street clothes"? I will try to upload some photos of those guys. They rocked, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Go to www.tinypic.com

Very easy to upload there and copy/paste the link here.
    Thank you Whitehouse, I will try.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I'm so upset that I missed this.
    Don't worry jerrytimes, Rare Earth will certainly play Detroit again. I will keep Detroityes! posted. Also, you can keep an eye on their schedule at www.rareearth.com

Johnnie-you talking about the 2 that had buttons all over?

Default Detroit Rare Earth Fans

Loved these two!

Default Rare Earth Detroit Fans 2

Gil and Ray on stage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast