Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Real Reason Conservatives Abhor Global Warming

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2387203.ece

There might be some culpability on their part.

Ahem.

Fat Cats, indeed.

ccbatson Guest

Why not, it makes just as much sense as what Al Gore has been...saying...hey, wait a minute....Al Gore fits that description, maybe this CO2 business has been a decoy all along.

Objectivists abhor warnings of climate change simply because it affects the growth and spread of capitalism.

They also are by and large relatively unconcerned over land, sea, and air pollution or deforestation, as well as being in favor of strip mining and mountaintop removal for coal and drilling to use up our remaining oil reserves for basically the same reason.

And yet they scream about saddling future generations with debt, but apparently do not mind leaving them a polluted, climate ravaged, and resource drained country and planet.

Go figure, it all about the $$$, NOW... no matter how they spin it.
    Last edited by Flanders; April-21-09 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    Conservatives abhor warnings of climate change simply because it affects the growth and spread of capitalism.

They also are by and large relatively unconcerned over land, sea, and air pollution or deforestation, as well as being in favor of strip mining and mountaintop removal for coal and drilling to use up our remaining oil reserves for basically the same reason.

And yet they scream about saddling future generations with debt, but apparently do not mind leaving them a polluted, climate ravaged, and resource drained country and planet.

Go figure, it all about the $$$, NOW... no matter how they spin it.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you, sir. The root of "conservatism" is "conserve". Unfettered capitalism, as preached by the modern right-wing, doesn't conserve a damn thing, and in fact requires extraneous inputs--whether they be environmental destruction or George W. Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy at the expense of a balanced budget.

Teddy Roosevelt was a conservative. The current crop of radical capitalists are anything but.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you, sir. The root of "conservatism" is "conserve". Unfettered capitalism, as preached by the modern right-wing, doesn't conserve a damn thing, and in fact requires extraneous inputs--whether they be environmental destruction or George W. Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy at the expense of a balanced budget.

Teddy Roosevelt was a conservative. The current crop of radical capitalists are anything but.
    I won't argue over semantics, so I edited my post to replace the word "conservatives" with the more fitting objectivists.

ccbatson Guest

Consefving the founding principles of liberty/individual property rights is what is meant by the term.

Naomi Klein says that climate change and the free market don't mix. I say, What free market? The only people I see struggling in the free market are small business. The big businesses are all lobbying the gov. for handouts.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/02/29-4

"...They feel that any government intervention leads us to serfdom.."
    Actually, Naomi, the right fears a reduction of their own fabulously high standard of living. They don't mind making the rest of us into near serfs with right to starve laws, fees on everything, etc.

http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews...ens_humankind/

David Suzuki: How the Profligate Use of Fossil Fuels Threatens Humankind