Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DC48080 Guest

Default Sign of the times?

Geez, you can't even go for breakfast in the early hours without risking your life.

http://detnews.com/article/20100412/...on-Avenue-IHOP

The problem isn't the guns themselves, the problem is criminals and drunks with guns.
    Last edited by DC48080; April-12-10 at 02:59 PM.

Old news. That IHOP has been frisking its night time customers for years.

I liked the Phil Marcus Esser Detroit song.

http://download.gannett.edgesuite.ne.../0411esser.mp3

I would say that if you're *anywhere* after 2AM when the bars let out, you're at higher risk for something bad to happen to you. Even with that said, you're probably safer at IHOP on Jefferson than you are driving on the road, at that point.

Just sayin'.

The article says that Anita Baker's ex-husband, alter Bridgfort Jr. tore down a historic building for the IHOP. What building was that?

The historic 1850 built Chene House [[formerly Little Harry's Restaurant), built in a Federalist style.

There was a court ordered stay of demolition order on it... but CAY ordered it to come down on a Sunday morning with a backhoe... since court wouldn't be available until Monday AM.

It was reminiscent of the sleazy stealth way the Madison-Lenox came down....

Have never been to the IHOP, nor will I ever set foot in it... day or night.

Walter Bridgeforth Jr. promised "a very exciting development" [[his words)... yawn....

He and Anita Baker divorced in 2007.
    Last edited by Gistok; April-12-10 at 04:05 PM.

That was a sadly typical Detroit moment. Go to great trouble to tear down a historic structure to replace it with "a very exciting development" that turns out to be a friggin' IHOP. Wow - that makes downtown Detroit approximately as "exciting" as, what? A freeway exit outside Ft. Wayne or Youngstown?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That was a sadly typical Detroit moment. Go to great trouble to tear down a historic structure to replace it with "a very exciting development" that turns out to be a friggin' IHOP. Wow - that makes downtown Detroit approximately as "exciting" as, what? A freeway exit outside Ft. Wayne or Youngstown?
    Hardly. THEIR freeway exits have Waffle Houses...

Great, now the criminals know they can rob the customers in the parking lot.

Not that I ever had any great desire to go there in the first place, but that bit of bullshit will keep me out for sure. I really don't think they have the legal right to do that in the first place. Does the management of that place really think that any of their "rowdy patrons" are CCW holders? Neal Rubin sounds like a real dumbass with his "revolvers tucked in the waistbands of their pants" comment.

I would say that if you're *anywhere* after 2AM when the bars let out, you're at higher risk for something bad to happen to you. Even with that said, you're probably safer at IHOP on Jefferson than you are driving on the road, at that point.

Just sayin'.
    I would go to that IHOP before going to a National Coney Island in the suburbs after the bars let out. I have seen a great of shit happen at National in Warren and Royal Oak. Lots of girl fights, gangs of ~~~~~~~~~ged frat boys looking to start and shit and more.

They have that right. It is private property. But we also have the right not to spend our money there.

Quote Originally Posted by unclefrank View Post
    Not that I ever had any great desire to go there in the first place, but that bit of bullshit will keep me out for sure. I really don't think they have the legal right to do that in the first place. Does the management of that place really think that any of their "rowdy patrons" are CCW holders? Neal Rubin sounds like a real dumbass with his "revolvers tucked in the waistbands of their pants" comment.

I'm not interested any either at that time of night, but you should be a little more afraid of the teenage killers in Detroit than the young rowdy punks.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I would go to that IHOP before going to a National Coney Island in the suburbs after the bars let out. I have seen a great of shit happen at National in Warren and Royal Oak. Lots of girl fights, gangs of ~~~~~~~~~ged frat boys looking to start and shit and more.

FYI, normal people are usually home sleeping at 2 AM in the morning unless they're forced to be out [[jobs, medical emergency, etc.). Heck, even the party people are usually at home [[or at some hotel) satisfying each other or passed out drunk by that time.

Anyone who's out unguarded that time of night just trying to get some breakfast/dinner needs their head examined.

Argh... sounds like the making of that diner scene in Pulp Fiction! ROTFL!!!!!!!!! The thought of people drunk and stumbling around over you while eating. And or you got to get frisked too--by someone wearing a mask -- eggs over easy! Maybe now the criminals know just were to go for their hold ups.... the gun free zone! No thank you.... I'll just pop some pop corn when I get home! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-12-10 at 11:01 PM.

I'm picturing in my mind waitresses frisbeeing pancakes into the air so the patrons can nail them like clay pigeons.

Screw iHop, you can't go to CVS in the 'burbs either:

Posted: 5:09 p.m. April 12, 2010 | Updated: 10 p.m. April 12, 2010
    Police: 1 arrested in road rage shooting in Farmington Hills

By Gina Damron and Zlati Meyer
    Free Press Staff Writers

Police have arrested a 27-year-old local man they say shot another driver in a road rage incident outside a CVS store in Farmington Hills today.

Farmington Hills police Sgt. Alan Patterson said the shooting occurred in the parking lot of the store near Orchard Lake and 13 Mile roads about 4:30 p.m. He said police are still investigating.

Patterson said the person was shot in the arm and the wound was non-life-threatening.

I think this is the one where the shooter called the police.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    The problem isn't the guns themselves, the problem is criminals and drunks with guns.
    Sorry, but I have to snicker at this because of the CVS shooting. And, no one's even accusing him of being drunk [[!).

I guess, if guns aren't the problem, only the idiots who use them foolishly. Well, since guns don't come with idiot-locks or breathalyzers attached, we might want to rethink our gun policies.

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    Sorry, but I have to snicker at this because of the CVS shooting. And, no one's even accusing him of being drunk [[!).

I guess, if guns aren't the problem, only the idiots who use them foolishly. Well, since guns don't come with idiot-locks or breathalyzers attached, we might want to rethink our gun policies.
    Oh sure, leave us to the "protection" of the Police. You can be your own Sheep, just leave the rest of us alone!

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post

And there is a "policy" that says you have to have a license to drive a car. How many people are out there on the roads with no license? There is a law that says you cannot drive over 55 mph on the freeway. How many people drive faster than that?

Gun control is not the answer. Criminals don't register their guns. And even registered owners should be dealt with harshly when they break the law.

Aggressive prosecution of people who commit crimes with guns will do much more to further our safety.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    FYI, normal people are usually home sleeping at 2 AM in the morning unless they're forced to be out [[jobs, medical emergency, etc.). Heck, even the party people are usually at home [[or at some hotel) satisfying each other or passed out drunk by that time.

Anyone who's out unguarded that time of night just trying to get some breakfast/dinner needs their head examined.
    Oh no! I just found out that I'm abnormal...! But, damn, it's hard to find a shrink at 2 AM Guess I'll just have to settle for some food instead.

That IHOP on Jefferson was where I saw a dude sitting on the hood of an old Buick slugging back a jug of Carlo Rossi. Ya know, those big suckers with the handles. It was last summer in the middle of a Saturday afternoon in June so I guess he just needed a refreshment. The song "Carlos Rossi" by E40 came to mind with its fatass Oakland bassline.