Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Matty & Motown

Default Matty & Motown

New article in the Freep today. Haven't read it yet, but are they holding his feet to the fire?

Link:

http://www.freep.com/article/2010041...un-and-Detroit

A great writeup. I was very happy to see the press cover Maroun. They really didn't beat around the bush. It is straightforward, neither painting him as the bad guy or glorifying him as a good samaritan, which is what most of the writeups on him tend to do. His actions speak for themselves.

I was most surprised to see that he owns so many residential homes & parcels. Matty's got bigger plans cooking than his bridge & depot...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    New article in the Freep today. Haven't read it yet, but are they holding his feet to the fire?
    The Free Press reporter got no assurances at all from Moroun. Moroun did, however, get the opportunity to say that he's an asset, not a detriment, to the city.

This quote really stood out to me:

Patrick Moran, Moroun's corporation counsel, said someday people would appreciate the fact that Moroun did not demolish the station.

"Matty takes a lot of heat," Moran said, "and in years to come, he's going to be seen as a preservationist."
    If only declining to demolish a building was all it took to "preserve" it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    This quote really stood out to me:

If only declining to demolish a building was all it took to "preserve" it.
    No shit! What a dirtbag.

This shit pisses me off. Have you ever driven through the area west of the airport? When the DPD/ Macomb County Sheriffs started doing those drug arrests on the Smart and DDot buses, THIS was the neighborhood those drug addicts were going to. If you look up at the power lines streching across the street, there are tied up gym shoes everywhere. The worst part is that little old folks still live there, keeping their homes and yards up while this douschbag leaves vacant rapedens WIDE OPEN and vacant lots full of dumped tires and construction garbage strewn everywhere. It's been like this for years, yet the city won't pick up a finger to sue his ass for the harm he's caused to people and neighborhoods across Detroit. I'll just call it like I see it. He's been greasing palms at city hall and in the state capital for years while we sit here taking it in the rear with no grease whatsoever. We need to organize and fight this guy. Who has Fieger's number?????

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    If you look up at the power lines streching across the street, there are tied up gym shoes everywhere.
    I see what you mean.

Attachment 5755
    Gilbo & Mt. Olivet
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-13-10 at 06:02 PM.

A couple of boats on Lyford St.

Last edited by Jimaz; July-13-10 at 06:02 PM.

This shit pisses me off. Have you ever driven through the area west of the airport? When the DPD/ Macomb County Sheriffs started doing those drug arrests on the Smart and DDot buses, THIS was the neighborhood those drug addicts were going to. If you look up at the power lines streching across the street, there are tied up gym shoes everywhere. The worst part is that little old folks still live there, keeping their homes and yards up while this douschbag leaves vacant rapedens WIDE OPEN and vacant lots full of dumped tires and construction garbage strewn everywhere. It's been like this for years, yet the city won't pick up a finger to sue his ass for the harm he's caused to people and neighborhoods across Detroit. I'll just call it like I see it. He's been greasing palms at city hall and in the state capital for years while we sit here taking it in the rear with no grease whatsoever. We need to organize and fight this guy. Who has Fieger's number?????
    Why are you singling Matty out? There are TONS of other properties in Detroit that are neglected by banks, companies and even the residents themselves. Why not try making a change house-by-house instead of bashing Matty? Maybe that would influence him to do the same when he sees surrounding areas are changing. At least he pays his taxes to the city, the article stated $1.3 million a year. Many of the other land owners, banks and resident's don't even do that..

-Tahleel

It would seem more efficient to try to change stuff starting with people who own many properties, rather than house-to-house, no?

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    It would seem more efficient to try to change stuff starting with people who own many properties, rather than house-to-house, no?
    Not when the resources of that one person seem unlimited compared to those who try to fight him.

-Tahleel

I don't agree, but even if I did, that wasn't exactly your original argument. In some respects it should be easier to pursue Maroun because you could potentially show a pattern of behavior that isn't visible in a smaller landowner. Another reason to pursue Maroun is precisely to show that the City is serious and is going to go after the larger and more influential landowners. When you are changing an enforcement regime, you want to make the change highly visible.

Once people know you are serious, you don't have to do as much enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't agree, but even if I did, that wasn't exactly your original argument. In some respects it should be easier to pursue Maroun because you could potentially show a pattern of behavior that isn't visible in a smaller landowner. Another reason to pursue Maroun is precisely to show that the City is serious and is going to go after the larger and more influential landowners. When you are changing an enforcement regime, you want to make the change highly visible.

Once people know you are serious, you don't have to do as much enforcement.
    The City, State, and the people use Matty as a scape goat. I'm sure someone will blame him for Michigan's economy, high unemployment rate, high crime and high cost of living. He's a huge target because he holds the keys for something that many hold dear to their hearts: the MCS. As stated earlier, there are other property owners that leave their property in the same or even worse conditions. No one goes after them.

Matty is a businessman, and dollars and cents, make sense. I'm sure there's a price tag he's willing to sell the building for. He allowed countless films to be shot in or near the MCS, which he profited from. Why don't all the supporters for "Preservation of MCS": work over time/put in another shift, save their pennies and buy it from him? It will never happen because the only thing people like to do is bitch and whine and hope something changes from it. Sure there are people that clean it up once in awhile, but do they really think cleaning up the garbage would change what he plans to do with the property? I doubt it, because he could pay for it himself easily if he chose to do so.

As far as his resources, who is up to challenging him? The city, state and people have all failed. The press tries to peg his business endeavors as failing but what they fail to realize is that the ball is definitely in his court and he is in charge.

-Tahleel
    Last edited by tahleel; April-11-10 at 08:13 PM.

Hey Taheel, do you work for this guy or something?

And nobody was talking about his trainstation, that alone has sprung several threads here and I won't beat a dead horse [[or is that a dead homeless guy?, like the one they found stickin halfway out of the ice at the bottom of an elevator shaft in a manny owned warehouse left wide open with no regard to me and my neighbors!!!).

Since I deal with vacant structures and property regularly, being the chair of the Vacant Property Task Force for my district and all, I feel very confident when I say that going after one property owner who is probably broke compared to targeting a BILLIONAIRE who ownes over 625 parcels of land are two totally different kinds of social justice. And that's what this is really about. If it were up to me, the county would go after every ***hole who leaves their property open to the elements, twice the penalty for those whose homes show evidence of illegal activity or ones near schools. But the county is so backed up with nuisance abatements, it will be years before they force the ones currently in the system to do anything about those structures. Therefore, the system is the problem, not someone like me who is rightly bitching about the guy who isn't subject to the system because of his wealth, who claims to be " a benefit" to the city and not an irresponsible schmuck.

By the way, just because he's willing to sell his properties for the right price doesn't mean he shouldn't be held to the same ethical standards that the rest of us are.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; April-11-10 at 11:28 PM.

I was really unaware that his empire reached to the east side as much as it does. Most of the focus seems to be centered around the MCS and the bridge. I actully read the paper today. Giving the Freep a reprive.

Hey Taheel, do you work for this guy or something?

And nobody was talking about his trainstation, that alone has sprung several threads here and I won't beat a dead horse [[or is that a dead homeless guy?, like the one they found stickin halfway out of the ice at the bottom of an elevator shaft in a manny owned warehouse left wide open with no regard to me and my neighbors!!!).

Since I deal with vacant structures and property regularly, being the chair of the Vacant Property Task Force for my district and all, I feel very confident when I say that going after one property owner who is probably broke compared to targeting a BILLIONAIRE who ownes over 625 parcels of land are two totally different kinds of social justice. And that's what this is really about. If it were up to me, the county would go after every ***hole who leaves their property open to the elements, twice the penalty for those whose homes show evidence of illegal activity or ones near schools. But the county is so backed up with nuisance abatements, it will be years before they force the ones currently in the system to do anything about those structures. Therefore, the system is the problem, not someone like me who is rightly bitching about the guy who isn't subject to the system because of his wealth, who claims to be " a benefit" to the city and not an irresponsible schmuck.

By the way, just because he's willing to sell his properties for the right price doesn't mean he shouldn't be held to the same ethical standards that the rest of us are.
    For the record [[or at least from what I've been told by the higher ups) is that DIBC doesn't make any money from Hollywood, big films take out large insurance policies that exempt liability, and are asked to make a decent donation to a community charity [[i don't know which).

That's it or at least so I've been told by different people at different times

I'm not aware of any financial goings on involving DIBC other than what I read in the paper. If what you said is true, than I wonder which community charity he's donating to. It sure as hell isn't any of the ones I'm involved with.

I'm not aware of any financial goings on involving DIBC other than what I read in the paper. If what you said is true, than I wonder which community charity he's donating to. It sure as hell isn't any of the ones I'm involved with.
    they're not doing the donating it's whatever production, or at least that's what i understood

DC48080 Guest

So he owns some properties that are open and dangerous. Guess what, the City of Detroit owns more vacant properties than Moroun does. I would be willing to wager that more of the city's properties are open and dangerous than Maroun's.

There is nothing wrong with holding large tracts of property in hopes of future development. At least Moroun pays his taxes to the city. The city owned properties generate no tax revenue at all.

I think that what this is really about for many people who bitch about Matty is the fact that he is wealthy and lives in the suburbs.

Don't damn him for letting his property deteriorate when the beloved City of Detroit does the same thing. Matty is not the one ruining the city. A major cause of the city's present condition is people who show no respect for their own neighborhood. People who throw trash out their windows, throw crap in the empty lots across from their homes, scrappers who strip buildings in their own neighborhoods, these folks are far more to blame than a guy like Moroun.

And I don't want to hear that it is because they are "disadvantaged" or some other politically correct buzzword. I grew up poor and would have never thought of stealing anything or vandalizing anything.

But I guess it is more fun to go online and get on a high horse and attempt to claim moral superiority. Afterall, that is the DetroitYes way, is it not?

And no, I do not work for Moroun nor have I ever met the man.
    Last edited by DC48080; April-12-10 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    So he owns some properties that are open and dangerous. Guess what, the City of Detroit owns more vacant properties than Moroun does. I would be willing to wager that more of the city's properties are open and dangerous than Maroun's. There is nothing wrong with holding large tracts of property in hopes of future development.

At least Moroun pays his taxes to the city. The city owned properties generate no tax revenue at all.

I think that what this is really about for many people who bitch about Matty is the fact that he is wealthy and lives in the suburbs.

Don't damn him for letting his property deteriorate when the beloved City of Detroit does the same thing. Matty is not the one ruining the city. A major cause of the city's present condition is people who show no respect for their own neighborhood. People who throw trash out their windows, throw crap in the empty lots across from their homes, scrappers who strip buildings in their own neighborhoods, these folks are far more to blame than a guy like Moroun.

And I don't want to hear that it is because they are "disadvantaged" or some other politically correct buzzword. I grew up poor and would have never thought of stealing anything or vandalizing anything.

But I guess it is more fun to go online and get on a high horse and attempt to claim moral superiority. Afterall, that is the DetroitYes way, is it not?

And no, I do not work for Moroun nor have I ever met the man.
    Trust me, if you're not jumping on the Moroun bashing bandwagon, someone is always going to claim you're working for him. It happens to me all the time. Never mind that you're taking an objective view at the situation.

The fact is that the City of Detroit is going to go after Moroun based on this article. While ignoring a lot of homes that need to be on the list. Meanwhile, as soon as he starts to seriously start demolishing some structures, a bunch of neighborhood groups are going to jump up saying that the structures can be saved and run to the City to make him stop. At which point, everything will be right where it is right now.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Trust me, if you're not jumping on the Moroun bashing bandwagon, someone is always going to claim you're working for him. It happens to me all the time. Never mind that you're taking an objective view at the situation.

The fact is that the City of Detroit is going to go after Moroun based on this article. While ignoring a lot of homes that need to be on the list. Meanwhile, as soon as he starts to seriously start demolishing some structures, a bunch of neighborhood groups are going to jump up saying that the structures can be saved and run to the City to make him stop. At which point, everything will be right where it is right now.
    You're probably right about that. If you or I tore down houses we owned nobody would care. But some idiots will complain about him if he trys to tear them down in hopes that he'll write them a check to shut up.

It is all about the fact that he has more money than most folks and they don't like him for that.

Regarding the maps in the Free Press article,
    What is Matty up to?

I suspect the neighborhood between French Rd. and Van Dyke west of City Airport was a target of opportunity, based on the expectation that the airport may one day attract business investment. But what of the area between Mt. Elliott and the railroad? Presumably this is against the time when the combination of the old Plymouth Assembly plant and the railroad makes this area valuable.

The one I can't figure out is the area north of Harper and west of Van Dyke. I don't see that area being redeveloped for anything any time soon. What am I missing? What would this neighborhood turn into if the Packard plant is finally flattened [[or redeveloped)?

Note that all the Maroun properties are close by road, rail, or air infrastructure.

bartock Guest

What I couldn't get past in reading the articles was why Maroun would do an interview now. Is it the bridge situation? Do the feds actually have something on him? He's been fighting the bridge fights for years, why do an interview now? The other thing that came to mind is that perhaps with CCK possibly losing her seat this year, he's worried about what might be coming next. Just doesn't make sense that he would simply decide to do an interview for PR reasons.

The guy's a slumlord and the city's lax/nonexistent code enforcement with him allows it. Plain and simple.

A well-written article by the Free Press. I've noticed the Sunday edition tends to have better articles that are less blown out of proportion and tabloid in nature. I'll keep my Detroit News for the week and actually read the Free Press on Sunday....but this is beside the point.

The article was pretty objective, they just printed his quotes and it allows the reader to draw conclusions for him or herself:

"I'm a benefit to the city. I'm not a detriment," he said.
    "I'm not a speculator. I don't sell anything."
    "For me to own land in Detroit, it was a badge of honor, and it was support for the city."
    "I know it won't sell papers telling anybody I'm a good guy. ... I don't want to be in the damn paper, but I can't stop you guys. You've got a frenzy going, and the motivation of it is not very good."
    I suppose one could argue that Moroun is a preservationist. Preserving the shell of the depot by preventing the city of someone else from demolishing it, perhaps. But under his domain, the building has been gutted and salvaged, further destroyed, and still it remains open to the elements.

"What would you suggest I do with it?" he asked. "I can't keep the thieves out until I put something in it, but what can I put in it? I'm willing, anxious. Where is the fairness? Where is the reasonableness? Give me something that I could put in it."
    YOU, SIR, can afford to spend the money to actually keep people out. Do not beat around the bush. You can put up ten razor wire fences and no one would ever get in. But you do not, and the building remains open for further deterioration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast