Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Thoughts and Prayers to Our Polish Brothers & Sisters

Such a sad day in my ancestral homeland...

http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=An9WGmZM6Y...08599198107500

And the irony is they were going to mark the 70th anniversary of such a tragic event in the nation's history:http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/tim...821863,00.html
    Last edited by Detroitej72; April-10-10 at 11:55 PM.

This saddens me greatly. For a nation that has come so far in such a short period of time, it is an absolute tragedy to lose so many influential and historically important people at once.

I'll be in Poland less than two weeks from now. I think it'll be interesting to gauge first-hand how the nation is dealing with this tremendous loss. In my heart, I know this is but one more challenge that the ever-resilient Poles will overcome.

I hate to say it, but the crash of the plane on such a momentus occasion with the top Polish officials aboard seems strange.

the candle is lite in our hearts that Poland will recover and elect a person of character and strenght..our hearts go out for all the families...

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I hate to say it, but the crash of the plane on such a momentus occasion with the top Polish officials aboard seems strange.
    It's because that land is cursed from the slaughter by the Soviets.

So was this pilot error or a mechanical malfunction?

terribly sad news

and the last i heard on the news was the Ruskies were saying it was purely pilot error...
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...SS&attr=797093
    The plane crash that killed President Kaczynski and 95 others was not caused by mechanical failure, Russia’s chief investigator said yesterday.

They are trying to determine if it was a directive [[from higher ups) to land the plane at that airport so they wouldn't miss the memorial to the Soviet massacre of Polands office corps during WWII.

It was foggy, and the captain probably would have preferred to land the plane elsewhere [[with better weather conditions). But then they would have missed the memorial.

This may be the most likely scenario... but that's just a guess on my part.... a tragedy nonetheless...

Seems like the pilot was hellbent on landing that plane, but I bet he was under strict orders to land on time. I guess the late President pulled some shit with a pilot on another flight forcing the plane down under horrible conditions.

We had a vigil tonight in Hamtramck:http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=AqGYUR8lOy...1409%252Frss36

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Seems like the pilot was hellbent on landing that plane, but I bet he was under strict orders to land on time. I guess the late President pulled some shit with a pilot on another flight forcing the plane down under horrible conditions.
    And what do you base these allegations on?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    And what do you base these allegations on?
    It's all over the news.

In August 2008, a different pilot of Kaczyński’s plane was threatened with dismissal when he refused to land in Tbilisi during the South Ossetian war between Georgia and Russia.