Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default A Highland Park retailing question

The discussion about the S&C Diner kicked around all sorts of memories and thoughts on retail in Highland Park, specifically the "downtown" shopping area between Sears and Manchester, across Woodward from the old Ford plant. In the late 60's I sold shoes at the Mary Jane store in that block. I remember a Kresge, Davidson's Jewelers, and a Manufacturers Trust Bank branch, but I can't remember any other shops on the strip. Was there a Cunningham Drugs?

Any help?

Cunninghams right on the corner. witha Kresge that had an entrance on Woodward and also one on Sears ave. It sort of formed a l-shaped building around the Cunninghams,Also there was a Neisners 5 & 10 store more near the DRS building that had a stairway right as you walked in where the toys and marbles and all that were down stairs. Also there was a J.C.Penny.
    But the store of stores was Fromm's hardware at Labelle and Woodward, They had everything a boy would ever want. Models, guns,bikes, sport equipment, etc. The motto was "You;ll find it at Fromm's"

I like where this is going. Let me set the table with some Woodward today scenes.
    Model T HQ from parking lot of Aldi on former Sears site.

Around the corner on Bartlett. Was this a Wrigley's?

You probably clipped your coupons from the Highland Parker.

Two long malls line Woodward on both sides in front of Model T starting with the obligatory CVS.

And of course McDonalds...

This strip seems to do quite well with few vacancies.

The 'Straits' of Highland Park begin at Manchester and run to Davison. This narrow stretch of Woodward that was the heart of old downtown Highland Park is on hard times. This is looking south and west at Victor.

The Pretzl Bowl was next to a utility company store, the gas company was it?

Across the was Highland Appliance which grew to a large metro chain then died off. I think this is the only fossil vestige of that mini electronics empire. I think I bought a CB radio from them.

I will use this picture on the S&C Diner thread as the little Caesar's sits on the site of the diner. It is part of a mall-ette surrounding a mega gas station.

This shot from the drive through circle of the Kentucky Fried, across from the Little Caesars, highlights some of the magnificent architecture of Highland Park. Right to left is the YMCA, YWCA and the ruins of the Philby Apartments.

Moving down the street is the YWCA in full splendor next to the New Mt. Morah Baptist Church.

And I will pause this tour at the monumental Highland Towers rise with its line of shops.

Cool photos. There's a fairly new Aldi up on the side where the Sears use to be. Sadly, the Hollywood Video store is going out of business. A Blockbuster used to be on the opposite side of the street about 7 years ago.

Bearinabox Guest

What's the deal with Highland Towers these days, anyway? Is the power still shut off?

Back in the 80s I used to go to the long-gone Park Club on Woodward south of 6 mile. A seedy dive with good burgers, and the people who ran it were nice. There was a strange business across the street - something to do with radio - does anyone know the business I'm talking about?

Uptown Radio. It was like a Best Buy in the old days

I found an old picture of the Highland Parker as above. It was way spookier in the thirties...

Quote Originally Posted by jgavrile View Post
    Uptown Radio had all the high end radios and t.v.'s, consoles etc.

Lowell, I lived in the Philby Apts. from 1940 to the 60's. Where the McD drive thru is now was, going south to north, Cunningham's, Gas Co., Sanders, Barber shop, D.J. Healy's and Montieth Millnery. The block south had Bank of the Commonwealth, Mike's Grocery, Mickey's Barber Shop, a sewing store, a restaurant and the U.S. Post Office.

The picture on Bartlett was indeed a Wrigley's.
    Last edited by Jman; April-10-10 at 03:04 AM.

We had our first apartment at 10 Moss in 1960, the same apartment building my parents had when they were married in 1930. And the same landlord, too!
    Speaking of retail, what was the name of the FUNERAL HOME that was on the West side of Woodward, north of Sears and South of Moss? It was near Highland Appliance I think. It was a busy place in the 60's, as was Snethkamp Motors.. There was an A and P behind the Sears parking lot.. And Sydney Krandall's Jewelry store was tucked in there too.

McInnes-Desmond Funeral Home.
    Here is a history from their website;
    http://www.desmondfuneralhome.com/_m...page_10773.php

Jgavrile, Popeye was laid out at McInnes-Desmond on Woodward and Puritan.

the rock, the funeral home was next to Uptown Radio. I bought my first new car, a 1960 Valiant at Snethcamp. Sydney Krandall was on the SE corner of 2nd and Sears.

Quote Originally Posted by jgavrile View Post
    Thanks. It had a cool window - very retro, with a 60s hi-fi look well into the 80s.

Downriver Gal;......

....would the Park Club per chance be the old Dew Drop Inn, on the east side of Woodward just south of 6 Mile?

And, is that the old Highland theatre next to Highland Appliance? I used to deliver the Ferndale Gazette-Telegraph which was published by Parker Publications. Memory says they had a string of suburban and neighbourhood Detroit newspapers.

BTW, those are some great pictures. It sure has changed since I worked down there. Was there a diner/cafe in the block in question? Memory says I didn't eat lunch at Kresge or Cunninghams.

Originally the A& P was on the Southwest corner of Sears and Second.. Across Sears ave. was Kroger's. on the Southe east Corner was Sydney Krandall and sons. and on the Northwest corner was a covered bus stop next to the Sears parking lot. Sometime in the 60's a new larger A & P was built just a little South of Sydney Krandall's on the East side of Second ave.
    Further down on from Kroger's , on the West side was Cadillac Plastics.
    During the 50's I had a go-kart ,and I would bring it down to the Sears parking lot and run it around on Sunday's. Back then,everything was closed on Sundays , so I could whiz around that lot and no other cars were parked on it. Lot of fun.

douglasm, the Dew Drop Inn was in the first block south of 6 Mile. The Park Club was almost 4 blocks south of 6 Mile. Played lots of pool in the Park Club in the 60's.

No cafes where you worked. The closest was The Majestic Cafe on the east side of Woodward just south of Manchester next to Capitol Cut Rate Department Store.

That was the Highland Theatre.

Around the corner on Bartlett. Was this a Wrigley's?
    http://detroityes.com/webisodes/2010/101-hp.jpg
    I think that Wrigley's was called Big Bear before at this location.

At this corner was the Good Housekeeping Store
    The 'Straits' of Highland Park begin at Manchester and run to Davison. This narrow stretch of Woodward that was the heart of old downtown Highland Park is on hard times. This is looking south and west at Victor.
    http://detroityes.com/webisodes/2010/106-hp.jpg

And the Pretzel Bowl was called the Blossom Bar in the 50;s
    The Pretzl Bowl was next to a utility company store, the gas company was it?
    http://detroityes.com/webisodes/2010/107-hp.jpg

That Marqui sticking out next to Highland Appliance was the Hiland Theater. All day on Saturday matinees for 12 cents
    Across the was Highland Appliance which grew to a large metro chain then died off. I think this is the only fossil vestige of that mini electronics empire. I think I bought a CB radio from them.
    http://detroityes.com/webisodes/2010/108-hp.jpg

A couple of 1930s pics of HP from the WSU/VMC

Attachment 5721

Attachment 5725

Attachment 5722

Attachment 5723

Attachment 5724
    Last edited by Hornwrecker; April-10-10 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added image

jgavrile, I believe you are right about Big Bear.

Good Houskeeping was originally on the south side of Gerald. First store off Woodward. My Dad bought our first t.v. there.

Look at Homewrecker's picture # 302. Bussings Office Supplies just north of Medical Arts Bldg. and further down was Shifman's Menswear. Looks like Highland Parkers had trouble with their teeth.

Blossom Bar, first illegal drink. Right around the corner from the Police Station. I wasn't too smart.

Why was the signage so much better looking 50, 60, 70 years ago???

Today's signs, anywhere, look so cheap and trashy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    What's the deal with Highland Towers these days, anyway? Is the power still shut off?
    I drove by the building not long ago. Scrappers have started taking metal off the tower caps, and the beautiful stained-glass transom that crowned the entry is gone. The entrance is boarded up.

Quite sad.

Man, I used to love the Pretzel Bowl...good draft beer and excellent burgers...just right for this then 21-year old. And when there, it was always crowded.

Fury 13.....
    .....somewhere in my memory it tells me that at one time after the above pictures were taken, Highland Park outlawed signs that hung off buildings over the sidewalks. There are no pictures posted of the era I remember, but I believe all the shop signs on the buildings were flat against the buildings exterior like the Highland Appliance building shown above. I don't know how the exceptions for the movie theatres [[Highland, Krim and Uptown) were written as all of them had marques.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast