Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: bakers update

Default bakers update

Can anyone please update me on the fate[[s) of Baker"s Keyboard Lounge
    & Carls Chop House. Thanks.

Baker's Keyboard Lounge is still going strong. We were there just last weekend and they had a good crowd. The problems that rose last year and the rumors of the club closing have subsided. Of course, we have to keep supporting the club, if it is to remain viable.

http://www.bakerskeyboardlounge.com/index.html

Carl's Chop House has been closed since October 2008.

Did Don Mayberry pass away? Thought I remember reading that some time ago. Haven't seen him in awhile, but he used to play bass at Baker's with Teddy Harris before he died, and then with Tad Weed Trio after that.

Donald Mayberry

Photo by Russ Marshall.

There you go, Brazzman.

It's nice folks are concerned about Don, but asking if someone has passed away right off the bat is pretty unsettling. He's fine and busy, as always, works with Aretha Franklin among many others. He's a regular at Baker's and if you visit somewhat regularly you'll see the Big Bass Man...

DetroitDad Guest

Great atmosphere! I got to go here for a friend's Christmas Party, great place!

I was contacted a few months ago by a local rep. for a California production company. They're suppose to be working on a documentary about Bakers and needed some photographs of Claude Black who was/is the house pianist. I also sent shots of Marcus Belgrave and Pepper Adams I took there years ago.
    I've wondered if anyone else here has been contacted also.
    The shot above of Don Mayberry is from a gig he did with Lionel Hampton at a high school on the west side around 1993.
    These and more jazz photos on my web site:
    http://www.russmarshallphotographs.n...aphs_JAZZ.html

Wow, this is great news. I have not been to Bakers in a while. I love the place. It certainly is a Detroit landmark.

Ref. the Baker's documentary, was involved at the beginning a couple of years ago, not sure of its current status.