Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default F-15 Flyover of Downtown

A formation of four F-15s has been zipping around the downtown the past few minutes. Anyone know what this is for? Frozen Four doesn't start until tonight [[and they're in a roofed stadium so doesn't make sense).

They're getting ready. They always do some preliminary flyovers to get their bearings straight.

Quote Originally Posted by BVos View Post
    A formation of four F-15s has been zipping around the downtown the past few minutes. Anyone know what this is for? Frozen Four doesn't start until tonight [[and they're in a roofed stadium so doesn't make sense).
    Hmm, are there any large events taking place soon in an outdoor stadium? It would have to be something pretty big and important, I'd think. Something that gets everybody excited every year, as though they've been waiting for it all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Hmm, are there any large events taking place soon in an outdoor stadium? It would have to be something pretty big and important, I'd think. Something that gets everybody excited every year, as though they've been waiting for it all winter.
    Hint: The event they're preparing for

1) Happens downtown.
    2) Tomorrow.
    3) In an open-air stadium.

4) has a weak bottom of the order.

I just saw them too!! I thought they were the ones scrambled for the diplomatic cigarette smoker.

I love working downtown...not sure the my customers appreciate me standing at the window looking at planes instead of handling business ....but I sure like it

Quote Originally Posted by BVos View Post
    http://detnews.com/article/20100408/...ver-in-Detroit

Thats just Kwame's security team doing a dry run for his next visit. Has anyone seen the helicopter thays drops off his Escalade, now thats really cool.

I thought the Hutaree had escaped from the federal courthouse!

It's the Tea Party Express!

What does oppening day have to do with spending money on 4 jets to fly over the stadium?? I guess I don't see the significance?

i heard it and i was afraid

Retroit Guest

Maybe they should have a tribute to the Chinese for loaning us the money to waste on such unnecessary frills.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Maybe they should have a tribute to the Chinese for loaning us the money to waste on such unnecessary frills.
    A Chinese New Year parade is scheduled for Saturday outside Comerica Park, to celebrate the Year of the Tiger from the Chinese zodiac.

The Air Force doesn't consider flyovers to be "unnecessary frills" because such missions are looped in with maneuver training, which includes formation flying. I also suspect most taxpayers who paid for the jets and pilots don't mind seeing them, either.

Most, but not all, I should say. I understand that some people believe any public display from the armed forces is wasteful and dangerous militarism that is a bread-and-circuses distraction by imperialist fascists bent on global domination by the U.S. military-industrial complex at the expense of much-needed communal social programs.

I keed! I keed!

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    I understand that some people believe any public display from the armed forces is wasteful and dangerous militarism that is a bread-and-circuses distraction by imperialist fascists bent on global domination by the U.S. military-industrial complex at the expense of much-needed communal social programs.
    Thanks, BShea!

I'm in Hazel Park and I could hear them over my house! Was on a conference call so could not stick my head out the window, but it sure did sound cool!

good call comrade. it is purely the capitalist pig flaunting their wealth.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jgavrile View Post
    What does oppening day have to do with spending money on 4 jets to fly over the stadium?? I guess I don't see the significance?
    *eye roll*

To me, it's a sure sign of spring.

Quote Originally Posted by jgavrile View Post
    The flyover is the climax of the National Anthem, which is sang right before the game begins. It occurs just as the vocalist sings the final words.

It's meant to get everyone feeling all patriotic and raise their already-heightened level of excitement even further, especially the kids.

I'm in my 30s and even I have to admit that its pretty neat to see a squadron of jet airplanes roar across the sky, flying low enough that you can see the pilot's helmet.
    Last edited by artds; April-08-10 at 04:11 PM.

Originally Posted by jgavrile
    Why do we have fireworks for the 4th of July? Why do we have a parade for Thanksgiving/Christmas? I just don't see the significance.

The downtown jet annoyance aint nothing new. they were flying around on a regular basis this past summer. the first time i heard them i thought a passenger jet was crashing.

I was on break at work when they flew over [[noonish) and that was around 8 mile and Mound.

There is a fly over at The Big House every year for the first game and then the pilots land and come to the game. And if you want to see the best mix of planes and buildings then come to the Chicago Air Show every August. Practice Thur-Fri, show Sat-Sun and free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast