Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wonderful lost Sundays

My weekend did not go as planned. So on Sunday, we just checked out on all responsibility. Took the dog and went up to Mariners Park at the foot of Alter. We even bought McDonald's which is something we haven't done in years. We met so many nice [[and a few not so nice) people. It was a beautiful day and very relaxing to watch people fish and view our river. One lady even sang us a beautiful hymn that she called 36 Jesus.

I see so many negative comments about my city, Detroit. I just wish people would lose their fear and come enjoy the very rich flavor that this community still has.

On an honest note, not all there, were cool. The druggies and drunks sat at one end trying to act tough. One ass hole had his dog chained to the fence and kept warning from afar, telling people to stay away from his "vicious" dog. The poor dog got all tangled up in his chain and a sweet old lady with a fuzzy dog the size of a donut went over and untangled him.

All in all though, it was a delightful day. Met new friends and walked away with some sweet memories.

What a pleasant post!

The word "flavor" is important here. Suburbs may have more safety than the city, but only a few suburbs have flavor. In a world that is becoming increasingly generic, Detroit is vitally real and flavorful.

The problem is many Americans are perfectly satisfied with blandness.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal_Son View Post
    What a pleasant post!

The word "flavor" is important here. Suburbs may have more safety than the city, but only a few suburbs have flavor. In a world that is becoming increasingly generic, Detroit is vitally real and flavorful.

The problem is many Americans are perfectly satisfied with blandness.
    Yes, bland might be the right word. Yesterday we picked up a friend who had out patient surgery and took her home. Decided to drop into a local "dive" bar. A little surprised to run into some friends. Talked to a few other patrons, one of which was playing ganzo piano, sang a few songs, bought a few drinks for others. Price tag for 2 hours of fun and great conversation was $14 dollars and a three dollar tip.

Where in the Burbs can one have such fun for under $20 dollars?

Heh, got it for under fifteen last night at the Park.

Met this amazing young woman gravitating from Birmingham to the City via Yellowstone this summer...with a little help from her friends.

She mesmerized me for over an hour...

...so I'd add that it is most certainly the people we meet in the city who spice up our life so much...the city/farburb divide acts as a filter. I noticed it as this very self-aware young person described her lingering suburban attitudes fading away the longer she spent downtown.