Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tigers Opening Day

Any rituals from longtime attendees out there? Despite it being a "Good Friday" for many, I'm certain that St. Mary's will not be as offended as last year's Good Friday extravaganza.

hey i dont have tickets but wanna be downtown , anyone reccomend a good bar to watch the game?

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Knocturnal View Post
    Despite it being a "Good Friday" for many, I'm certain that St. Mary's will not be as offended as last year's Good Friday extravaganza.
    Cross-post to "Huh?" Did you miss the news...Good Friday was last week.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Cross-post to "Huh?" Did you miss the news...Good Friday was last week.
    I believe this reference was to what happned last year when there was a controversy about the opener being on Good Friday and Catholics were upset that the starting time of the game wasn't pushed back to accomodate people in the Noon-3:00pm time slot.

This will be my first Home Opener ever! I can't believe I'm going...Tim Allen is going to thrown the first pitch I hear. I live for summer and baseball.

Spring Break Detroit!! Woo! Yah!

Zitro

Good Friday and Catholics were upset that the starting time of the game wasn't pushed back to accomodate people in the Noon-3:00pm time slot.
    I thought the controversy was no hot dogs at the stadium because of Good Friday.

have fun, wherever you go. I did many an opener at Tiger Stadium.

For those looking for a bar, Nancy Whiskey's has promised to be up and running by Openning Day. I drove by the other day, They have fenced the yard to south and it looks like they also added on to the kitchen. Hence, I'm confident that even if the inside isn't ready, they'll have tents up in the yard.

They had the tents up on St. Patty's day this year, so confidence is high they'll be open on Openning day.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Zitro

I thought the controversy was no hot dogs at the stadium because of Good Friday.

have fun, wherever you go. I did many an opener at Tiger Stadium.
    Just a random blog pulled form the interwebs, here's a cut from it.

"The Detroit Tigers have upset some Catholics who are unhappy that the club's home opener is scheduled during holy hours on Good Friday."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportspros...t_ires_so.html

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Just a random blog pulled form the interwebs, here's a cut from it.

"The Detroit Tigers have upset some Catholics who are unhappy that the club's home opener is scheduled during holy hours on Good Friday."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportspros...t_ires_so.html
    Right, I know about that. What confuses me is the comment about Good Friday being this coming Friday. Maybe it's my fault for expecting something to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Right, I know about that. What confuses me is the comment about Good Friday being this coming Friday. Maybe it's my fault for expecting something to make sense.
    Good point, maybe Knocturnal can answer it when he/she wakes up after the sun goes down.

I'm not a baseball fan but went downtown last year for the first time. It was a beautiful day and we hit a few different places and had a blast. The weather last year was awesome and the fact it was Good Friday I feel thickened the crowds!
    Sucks that tomorrow its supposed to be cold and gloomy...

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Good point, maybe Knocturnal can answer it when he/she wakes up after the sun goes down.
    I thought maybe it was Orthodox Easter this weekend, but that was last weekend too, so I have no clue what Knocturnal meant either.

Maybe he meant that it's going to be a good Friday just like you can have a good steak or a good work out. A little play on words is all I am sure.

Any other bar suggestions, places with alot of good flatpanel hd tv's ??? So far i got chelis chili and nemos. I imagine these places are gonna be crowded real fast.

Anyone?? And what about parking??? Looks like parkings really gonna suck

You could park at Compuware or Michigan Theatre. Those two are usually well priced and are not too far to walk.

All the bars will be crowded. Nemos perhaps less so due to its location.

Just saw someone put a flag up at Tiger Stadium for opening day...
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...4916417&ref=mf

Yea, I noticed that this morning also. Thats awesome that someone thought enough to put up the flag at Tiger Stadium for opening day

It was jammin downtown this afternoon for opening day. I work in the Cass Corridor and it was a huge party goin on despite the cold weather! Great to see and great for the City of Detroit

Brush St. was my savior for getting past all the traffic on Woodward and the Chrysler! Had to get on the Chrysler by the time Brush ends at the Davison.

What an awesome day! Me and my friend took two French xchange students and they enjoyed themselves very much, we also took them to a Wings game last week too! During the 1st there was a girl, drunk and crying, sitting two rows in front of us wanting her dad. Her dad had passed recently and she was hysterical. We don't know where she came from though, it wasn't her seat and she was all alone. The woman who complained, understandably, then said, "She needs a grevience counselor" to the ushers. That was the bitchiest thing to say!

Other than that it was quite the game day!

Oh...and when we all started to clap 'cause the sun came out...for like 2 seconds.

Ues i had a great time to with exception of all the smoke! Haha cant wait till may so i dont have to breathe that schit anymore! We ended up at the filmore, which is non- smoking inside, so everyone smoked outside the side door, and all the smoke blew back into the building. Not very enjoyable. The should of made smoking outside illegal also