Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What's Really Killing Detroit

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...ses/index.html

.I don't know how old this series is, and I don't think there are any surprises here.

What's not killing Detroit would be a better question...

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...ses/index.html

.I don't know how old this series is, and I don't think there are any surprises here.
    The publish date is in the url: 8/11/2008.

What's killing Detroit?

Segregation, Charles Bowles, Albert Cobo, suburban sprawl, freeways, restictive covenants to keep blacks at their own neighborhoods, the 1967 riot, white flight, economic flight, Coleman A. young, city corruption, failed Detroit Public Schools, poor police force, street gang growth in the 70s, black growth to once white Detroit neighborhoods, Devil's Night, the crack epidemic, failed Downtown Detroit becoming a instant ghost town, and King Kwame's Manoogian Parties.

That's what killing Detroit.

Bearinabox Guest

I killed Detroit. Sorry, guys.

Add city council bride scandals and singing Jesus songs in council chambers to the list.

This report was prepared the Citizens Research Council and is required reading as to what it will take to fix the FISCAL problems of Detroit.
    http://www.crcmich.org/PUBLICAT/2010s/2010/rpt361.pdf

I killed Detroit too..... After I left there just wasnt enuff sex left to sustain

Bullet Guest

I knitted Detroit new mittens, but it did no good.

Someone bit Detroit's nails through your mittens?

Bullet Guest

Da, indeed!

Most of what's killing Detroit has already been listed. Even I'm considering leaving.

But this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aktLR...h_response_rev

is what's truly killing the D.

Default It's the samething that killed the radio star.

Video...........

"....black growth to once white Detroit neighborhoods"

Please clarify what you specifically mean. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    What's killing Detroit?

Segregation, Charles Bowles, Albert Cobo, suburban sprawl, freeways, restictive covenants to keep blacks at their own neighborhoods, the 1967 riot, white flight, economic flight, Coleman A. young, city corruption, failed Detroit Public Schools, poor police force, street gang growth in the 70s, black growth to once white Detroit neighborhoods, Devil's Night, the crack epidemic, failed Downtown Detroit becoming a instant ghost town, and King Kwame's Manoogian Parties.

That's what killing Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    "....black growth to once white Detroit neighborhoods"

Please clarify what you specifically mean. Thanks.
    In the 1960s Detroit Real Estate Brokers hired black kids to ride their bikes into mostly white Detroit neighborhoods to scare white homeowners to sell their homes to a black family and buy a home in the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    In the 1960s Detroit Real Estate Brokers hired black kids to ride their bikes into mostly white Detroit neighborhoods to scare white homeowners to sell their homes to a black family and buy a home in the suburbs.
    That began around 1950. A group of real estate guys would buy a home in a neighborhood and move a black family in. Then they would go around and tell all of the white home owners that the blacks were moving in and they better list their home and sell and sell it cheaply before the home prices in the neighborhood dropped too much more.due to it becoming a black neighborhood. Sometimes it worked and sometimes the neighborhood would band together and purchase the house at a high price to keep the blacks out. The word would go around "you are not safe east of Chalmers" and the prophecy would become self-fulfilling as only blacks would buy a home in that area. Some people moved several times in the city before giving up and moving to the counties. Other people moved to the counties right away. Detroit was very segregated residentially by race.

What killed Detroit and continues to kill Detroit is CRIME. Thats the core problem and everything else is secondary.

I agree 110%!
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    What killed Detroit and continues to kill Detroit is CRIME. Thats the core problem and everything else is secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    Bullshit. That's what people that don't live in the city want to believe and scapegoat behind. What killed Detroit primary was racism, urban sprawl, politics and crime. Crime wasn't the primary reason.

I live near Oakland Ca. and San Francisco; San Francisco crime is just as bad as Oakland, it's looking more like Detroit with fights and shootings on the transit buses. Guess what? No one is leaving or moving out.

What killed, and continues to kill, Detroit, and has been eating away at our entire area for a few decades now is a shrinking and under-diversified economy.

Answer: It's own residents.

Example: Midtown development sparks battles

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...sparks-battles

There are plenty more and maybe better examples, but this is just one example of misaligned visions where narcissism overcomes the goal of a greater good which leads to selfdestruction. The story of Deroit repeatig itself over and over and over and....

LL Cool D Guest

Crime's not the cause, crime's the effect. Crime makes it permanent, but crime didn't cause it.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Answer: It's own residents.

Example: Midtown development sparks battles

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...sparks-battles

There are plenty more and maybe better examples, but this is just one example of misaligned visions where narcissism overcomes the goal of a greater good which leads to selfdestruction. The story of Deroit repeatig itself over and over and over and....
    Haven't we lost enough old apartment buildings already in this town? I fail to see how knocking down that row of buildings there is "the greater good." Can't this guy find an empty lot to build on?

OK, I hear that, it was not the main issue "before", but it is a primary problem now, IMO. And I live and work in the city right now, though I have also worked in the suburbs for over two decades... so I've seen other areas and experienced other amenities.

As a Detroiter striving to remain one must adapt daily to the crime level as it is now.

Not fun... Crime informs rather I will go in a given store or gas station or restuarant in the city. It impacts good and services, even down to banking with more and more banks leaving the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by dove-7 View Post
    Bullshit. That's what people that don't live in the city want to believe and scapegoat behind. What killed Detroit primary was racism, urban sprawl, politics and crime. Crime wasn't the primary reason.

I live near Oakland Ca. and San Francisco; San Francisco crime is just as bad as Oakland, it's looking more like Detroit with fights and shootings on the transit buses. Guess what? No one is leaving or moving out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast