Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Henry Ford

Default Henry Ford

Does anyone have information regarding the Detroit Edison building at Warren and Livernois with a tunnel that led to an apartment owned by Henry Ford? My neighbor was telling me bits and pieces of this. Apparently Henry was fearful that buildings were going to be bombed in Detroit during WWII and had this apartment built for him to escape to. Any information is much appreciated.

That was the Lincoln factory until they moved to Wixom in the late '50s. There was mention here before about a tunnel that led from there to the Detroit River around Ft Wayne, used to transport munitions to dockside, but I'm skeptical. There was a tunnel connecting parts of the plant, probably a utility tunnel like any college campus would have, but I doubt anything more than that.

lilpup Guest

wouldn't be surprised if it had a utility tunnel or two with space converted into bomb shelters and the necessary provisions stocked

A lot of Ford Buildings that have more than one building in a certain area, have utility tunnels under them leading from one to another. The Engineering center and test track area in Dearborn area are littered with tunnels. There were several reasons for these. Foremost was the need to supply utilities from the central powerhouse along Michigan avenue, also there was a big fear at one time of kidnapping due to the Lindberg child being kidnapped. Henry Ford always carried a pistol on him for this reason also. During UAW strikes the tunnel were used to move material underground and equipment between various buildings without interference from striking workers.
    He was always thinking.

There's also an extensive tunnel structure under the Willow Run Airport Buildings where the planes were built during WW II [[Ray Dahlinger played a role in the construction). The Tunnels exist today with machines still intact, although outdated.

In Macon [[near Saline/Clinton/Tecumseh) Ford had a mill complex. There are tunnels around the complex leading to all the older buildings.

This property became Boysville quite a few years ago.

The tunnels did get set up as fallout shelters with crackers, bottled water, etc all over, but it was obvious these tunnels pre dated the Red scare years.

Quote Originally Posted by jgavrile View Post
    A lot of Ford Buildings that have more than one building in a certain area, have utility tunnels under them leading from one to another. The Engineering center and test track area in Dearborn area are littered with tunnels. There were several reasons for these. Foremost was the need to supply utilities from the central powerhouse along Michigan avenue, also there was a big fear at one time of kidnapping due to the Lindberg child being kidnapped. Henry Ford always carried a pistol on him for this reason also. During UAW strikes the tunnel were used to move material underground and equipment between various buildings without interference from striking workers.
    He was always thinking.
    There was also a tunnel that led from the Albert Kahn designed Powertrain Building [[POEE) on Oakwood to William Ford's [[Henry's brother) house on the other side of Michigan Avenue. The home was on Garrison and was moved around the block about 10 years ago. The story is that Henry would utilize this tunnel to go visit his brother. And there was a tunnel that went from POEE to Greenfield Village but a former facilities manager at POEE had told me that this particular tunnel had been converted to a steam tunnel.

Let's not forget the tunnel, mentioned here previously, that ran from the Manufacturers Bank [[SE corner of Woodward & Manchester) to Ford's Model T plant to address security when workers were paid in silver and cash.

It is interesting to note the paranoia and fear that gripped our country during WWII after Pearl Harbor.

Many cities had blackouts at night. The Fisher Building removed the golden tiles of the tower. Also many movie palace owners took down their main chandeliers [[and later also sold them in pieces) because of the fear of bombing American cities.

Lowell , it sounds like you were in Highland Park , to know about the paymaster tunnel at Manufacturers bank. It hand a hand crank that would send a metal paybox under the street over to the Model T plant to pay the workers.

lalynch, I worked at the EEE bldg. later renamed POEE bldg for many years and those tunnels were fascinating to go down into. In later years , there sure were some big rats living down in them. There was also a short tunnel that led from the basement of the EEE bldg out to the parking lot near the power house and unto a freight elevator that was right next to a railroad siding that was brought onto the parking lot. The freight elevator had the two folding metal doors that laid flat in the parking lot and split open as the elevator came up. I think the elevator was taken out in the 80's maybe.
    From what I know , when Henry and Clara would go on a train trip in their private railroad car, they would go down the freight elevator that was in the EEE bldg. then walk through the tunnel over to the other freight elevator next to the rail siding and come up next to the railroad car and get in.
    Now the EEE bldg. is closed up with Henry Ford's old office inside and the Henry Ford Museum controls the bldg. I am not sure what they are going to do with it.? It was a neat bldg. for sure inside.

Quote Originally Posted by jgavrile View Post
    lalynch, I worked at the EEE bldg. later renamed POEE bldg for many years and those tunnels were fascinating to go down into. In later years , there sure were some big rats living down in them. There was also a short tunnel that led from the basement of the EEE bldg out to the parking lot near the power house and unto a freight elevator that was right next to a railroad siding that was brought onto the parking lot. The freight elevator had the two folding metal doors that laid flat in the parking lot and split open as the elevator came up. I think the elevator was taken out in the 80's maybe.
    From what I know , when Henry and Clara would go on a train trip in their private railroad car, they would go down the freight elevator that was in the EEE bldg. then walk through the tunnel over to the other freight elevator next to the rail siding and come up next to the railroad car and get in.
    Now the EEE bldg. is closed up with Henry Ford's old office inside and the Henry Ford Museum controls the bldg. I am not sure what they are going to do with it.? It was a neat bldg. for sure inside.
    I had worked on the 2nd floor of POEE or EEE building from about 2004 - 2006. It was the old library, directly above Henry Ford's office. My cubicle was directly across from a wonderful old fire place. There is a story that a dumb waiter existed to bring books down to Henry Ford's office. Along the wall of the fire place was a series of built in closets. I checked each of them for that dumb waiter. LOL.

While I was at POEE I tried to convince the Powertain management as well as Ford Land to get the building on the National Register of Historic Places so that they could take advantage of the tax credits. Ford Land felt it would hinder them from future uses of the building. Of course, once the rumors circulated about the building going to The Henry Ford they became more interested once I pointed out about how a non-profit such as The Henry Ford could sell the tax credits. Rumors at both Ford and The Henry Ford the last few years were that The Henry Ford would get the building and that they were especially interested in the garage area for storage.
    While we were at Greenfield Village last summer a Henry Ford employee told us that The Henry Ford had recently discovered some old cars in one of these old tunnels and that they they didn't know the stuff had been stored there or existed.

POEE needs some TLC. I read in a book once on Henry Ford's square dancing that there once existed a ballroom in POEE. It would of been on the first floor down towards the Automotive Hall of Fame.

Yes I remember the old cars in the tunnels and also many experimental engines that were stored down there. A lot of those engines were eventually moved over to the museum. There was an engine I remember that was an experimental "X-8". Many other "V-8"s" too.
    The old square dancing was done in that area you mention ,on the Southeast corner of the building. Originally the Eastern part of the building was a brickyard and then when Ford bought the property , the building was used to build Fordson tractors. There use to be 2 large ponds in the front of the building,. these were dug out to get the clay to make the bricks at that sight. In the 80's the Northern pond was filled in to make use of more parking space for employees. Before that only supervisory employees and executives ,along with test vehicles were allowed to park in front of the bldg. Regular employees had to park ever the tracks near Michigan ave. and walk over to work at EEE.
    The original ceiling was all glass with controls that would open some of the pains of glass for ventilation. there was a rolling gangway along the ceiling that allowed workers to clean and service the glass ceiling. It was said that the beams that made up the roof of the building were bows of WW I Liberty ships left over from that period that Henry used to build the EEE bldg. but that was just a myth. They did indeed look like the bow of a ship. The floor in the bldg were all wood and there were rubber runners placed all along the areas needed for employees to walk. They didn't wan the floors damaged. Later years there were hi-lows and everything runnig along the floors with experimental engines for evaluation and display , having been built in the back of the building in what was called engine buildup. Most of the Ford engine used in Nascar during the 60's and 70's that Ford supplied to all the Ford sponsored drivers , were built in the EEE bldg. and sent to the various car racers down South. It was quite an exciting place to work at one time.
    One they started abusing the use of the hi-lows and younger workers complaining about the heating and cooling in the building, they carpeted the entire floor of the bldg. and lowered the ceiling, covering over the original glass., making it look more like a conventional office of the time.
    One time in the early 70's I was working late in the bldg and there was a crew in there re-painting the walls.I didn't think much about it and then all ofg a sudden I remembered where there was pillar in the building that Henry Ford and others stood up against the pillar and with a pencil drew off the height on the pillar, and signed their names. These guys that were painting were jusrt about to cover over that pillar with fresh paint, and I ran over there and stopped them, much to their complaints. I then called someone that was in the Personel department that I had a phone number to and told them of the situation and they came and told the painters not to paint that area. Subsequently a frame with glass was put over that little historical area to preserve it. It is still there as far as I know, saved from being painted over.
    lalynch, you say you worked upstairs, there was the company safe and next to that was a barber shop ,and next to that that beautiful library area you worked in with the fireplace.
    That safe was an interesting place in that, old man Ford would write on the walls, how much money was taken in each year, and he would deduct the next year's amount on the wall and this is what he payed taxes on . This was his method of accounting. He really didn't have any use for accountants even though Edsel had a whole slew of them over at the older world headquarters on Schaffer and Rotunda, that was torn down.
    I don't understand how that was allowed, as it too was a historical building to Dearborn. It was sort of torn down during the night to prevent any protest from people wanting to preserve history.
    It was built at the same time as the EEE bldg. amd also designed by Albert Kahn.

A question about Henry Ford's burial place - I heard years ago that he is buried at St. Agatha church on Joy Rd. in Detroit. Would anyone know if that is true? If so, is the cemetery open to the public?

I am pretty sure Henry Ford and Clara are buried at St. Marthas Episcopal Church on Joy road in Detroit. The cemetery used to be named Ford Cemetery. I Found this information on Findagrave.com

Quote Originally Posted by carterjan48 View Post
    I am pretty sure Henry Ford and Clara are buried at St. Marthas Episcopal Church on Joy road in Detroit. The cemetery used to be named Ford Cemetery. I Found this information on Findagrave.com
    This is correct. It should be noted that both Henry and Clara's vaults are covered in tons of cement and iron grids were place above the gravestones. This was to prevent the theft of the gravestones, and to prevent people from digging the bodies up for ransom or for the millions of dollars that were rumored to have been buried with them.

jgavrile, that column is still protected. There was also a glass door that protected Henry Ford's office. The safe still exists upstairs. I heard it was because there was a period of time that Henry Ford did not trust his employees, accounting people, or something to that affect so he felt the necessity to lock up money or something. Barber shop was still there too. I know a retired Ford employee that worked in the building in the 1950's. He said that they used to shine that wood floor every day in that main first floor area. I heard that there was a bar in the building years ago, back of the cafeteria, or somewhere.

An aerial view of the building was displayed outside the facility managers office showing the two ponds. There is one pond with a path going all around it.

I would love to write a book on Ford architecture. I last worked at Building 5 and those buildings are marvelous examples of mid-century architecture despite, again, the buildings not being kept up. Our escalators were often down and on a weekly basis.

Most of the old Ford architecture was done by Albert Kahn. Like I said, I can't believe they were allowed to tear down the old administration building on Schaefer. That was almost criminal..
    I don't think that there was a bar in EEE bldg. as old man Ford was against drinking. There was though, an executive dining room that the managers and above used to eat lunch and maybe have a drink after the old man had passed..
    In the foyer, under the carpeting they added, was a giant brass Ford oval imbedded in the marble floor. It was pretty neat looking. They use to polish the doors at the entrance all the time as they too were brass.
    Yea when they use to polish the wood floors, you were not supposed to walk off the rubber runners. There was also a turntable at the South end of the building where they would view new models, as all the design, modeling, body work, etc were done totally in the EEE bldg. It was basically the whole of Ford Engineering in the old days . Where drafting ended up across from the cafeteria, there was a huge machine shop. Anything could get made in there when I first started. They even had a blacksmith in there. Further South were the Shock labs, engine build-up, silent room testing for engines to make sure they didn't leak after build-up,battery testing, ignition .
    development, carburetor development , and the company printing shop. A couple of executive garages too for The guys at the top including the old man.
    It was like a small city in that building with all kinds of activities and engineering stuff.

LDoolan Guest

If you want to see some old interior pics of the EEE building, pick up a copy of the book "Edsel Ford and E.T. Gregorie" written by Henry Dominguez. It shows quite a few interior photos.

"Albert Khan Architect of Ford" by Federico Bucci is another good book with some seldom seen photos.

Relating to tunnels, "Rouge Pictured in it's Prime" by Ford Bryan has a few tunnel photos, but doesn't elaborate much. It starts at pg. 269 if you have the book.

Henry Ford had a well dug behind the Fordson plant around 1914-15 and they got as far as 4,100 ft deep. When Elm St. was being replaved in the 80's, they discovered the capped well.
    Turns out he did this out of curiosity.

Great information you all have posted, I'm enjoying the read!

Right about where the Lincoln-Mercury dealer is and near the train tracks used to be a Ford flour mill, where grain was milled and put into sacks and sold through Ford dealerships. Ford also had some kind of company store near there. He did a lot of farming, even while he was making cars.
    I also think most people know the story about Kingsford charcoal and the plants in the U.P. and how the scrap wood from making car bodies and such, was used to make the charcoal
    I remember where Fairlane shopping center and the Hyatt regency hotel were all in corn fields, even into the 60's. Also the land where Wal-mart on Ford road is was also farm land into the 80's. They still plant sunflowers on any bare land they have around there.

Fascinating posts thanks. The Ford gravesite
    can be seen on this site here http://www.detroityes.com/webisodes/2002/west/07.htm along with St. Martha's and its stained glass Model T.

yes, it was within the executive dining room at EEE where management could have drink. It was something that I overhead a few managers talking about while I was still at EEE.

Default Henry Ford

WOW, what great responses to the Henry Ford question. This is a wonderful site.

9mile&seneca Guest

I don't think Ford was against management drinking. he was however against workers drinking. He was a big time player in the Volstead act being passed.

He sure didn't like the fact that Edsel would drink. I think he blamed the drinking on Edsel's early death.

LDoolan Guest

It should be noted that William Cameron, Ford's 'spokesman' was a heavy drinker. But HF had a tendency to overlook it. The main reason being it was Cameron who selflessly took the blame for the Jewish articles published in the Dearborn Independent.

Harry Bennett was another drinker that Ford paid no mind to his 'adult beverage libations'.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast