Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default WNIC Dumps Morning DJs

I saw the story earlier today that WNIC was dumping Kevin O'Neill & Lisa Berry from their morning show in favor of a more "music intensive format". Apparently, the Arbitron ratings indicate people want more music & less talk in morning radio. If that's the case, then should we anticipate the demise of Jim Harper, et al WMGC who's level of music was similar to WNIC, Dave & Chuck the Freak @ 89X who have even less music, and Drew & Mike at WRIF who have no music on their programs? Any opinions?

I frankly don't give a damn about the DJs if the radio station's playing a wide variety of music. Of course I'm sure that won't be the case [[most of them now are just top 40 channels). I noticed the air time for DJs on WDMK have diminished as well, but they play the same pitiful songs every 15 minutes.

In any event, people like to hear some good driving music while flying into work with an occassional mention of news/traffic. However, many of these morning shows around Detroit lack any real pizazz or personality and people want something that will wake them up and get them moving, not put tehm back to sleep.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-05-10 at 09:39 PM.

I'd love to see ALL of the morning idiots dumped from all stations. Worst idea they ever came up with.

"Morning Radio" in this market is a fucking disgrace. FM is horrible, AM is just this side of tolerable.

If Capitalist Pig Dog is taking these hacks off the air; I can only see sunshine on the horizon.

PS - While we're at it, can one of you guys please shove a sock in "Albom". Pretty, pretty with extra cherries?

Thank you very much in advance.

Radio is almost an obsolete medium. Radio is too proud to admit that it is becoming irrelevant in today's world of technology. Want music? Go online. Can't go online in your car? Yes you can. It's called a cell [[smart) phone. Can never find the music you want to listen to? You can with your iPod. Radio refuses to evolve and, sadly, is becoming obsolete. Think about it. Today's generation does not care about nor needs radio. What does that say for the future of radio?

What happened to Chuck Gaidica and the Breakfast Club?

It appears to me that Talk Radio in the local FM dial is a threathened technological culture. However talk radio in the clear channel satellite dials are growing and getting better then every thanks to Howard Stern and Rush Linbaugh. Talk radio on the AM dial is already dead.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Radio is almost an obsolete medium. Radio is too proud to admit that it is becoming irrelevant in today's world of technology. Want music? Go online. Can't go online in your car? Yes you can. It's called a cell [[smart) phone. Can never find the music you want to listen to? You can with your iPod. Radio refuses to evolve and, sadly, is becoming obsolete. Think about it. Today's generation does not care about nor needs radio. What does that say for the future of radio?
    Radio isn't obsolete because of technology; radio is obsolete because of incompetent corporate management. If anything, they're killing radio by taking away local talk and personality, replacing it with national corporate narrow-focus playlists. I like that radio is free.

I refuse to pay Verizon $29.99/mo per phone for wireless internet, and while I pay for XM in the car, I find the variety to be lacking and the sound quality terrible. Don't get me started on the "digital" revolution [[what it lacks for in quality it more than makes up for in marketing).

I'm 28 and listen to talk radio almost all day; Drew & Mike in the morning, Valenti & Foster in the afternoon, WDET/NPR in the evening. A little Internet radio while at my desk at work during the mid-day. Music on the weekends - either from WDET, WCSX if I'm working in the garage or the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    Radio isn't obsolete because of technology; radio is obsolete because of incompetent corporate management. If anything, they're killing radio by taking away local talk and personality, replacing it with national corporate narrow-focus playlists. I like that radio is free.
    Hear, hear. After 1996, all those media companies went on a buying spree, with the reasoning that, once they got all those radio stations, they could fire most of the techs and DJs, use "content" produced elsewhere for pennies and turn radio stations into cash machines by boosting ad rates. What happened? The Internet, changes in listening trends, XM radio and more. The people in charge in the 1990s leveraged their companies heavily, leaving them in debt, holding a bunch of radio stations nobody wanted to listen to, and trying to sell ads for less. The more media companies tightened their grips, the more listeners they lost. Classic case of the capitalist selling the rope for his own execution.

I'm 28 and listen to talk radio almost all day; Drew & Mike in the morning, Valenti & Foster in the afternoon, WDET/NPR in the evening. A little Internet radio while at my desk at work during the mid-day.

I can't remember ever listening to talk radio. In fact, talk radio and morning morons are the main reasons I've stopped listening to the radio altogether. I'd rather drive in silence.

Stosh Guest

Who the hell listens to those stations? Maybe 89X , but the rest? No thanks.

And Danny, Howard Stern and Rush don't make ANY radio better.

There is only one reason I listen to the iPod instead of the radio. I have more than 40 songs on my iPod.

However, I have to either play random or pick specific artists, songs or albums [[whereby I don't usually remember the 500 artists that I might like and will probably pick from my own top 20)... both ends of a spectrum that would not be as good as a DJ playing new, local and obscure tracks.

A few people a thousand miles away decided that two people that live and work here were cutting into their bottom line. Without one trace of a hint that they care about you and why you listen, they replaced these two people with a computerized playlist. You were simply informed that you don't want to hear people talking.

From one extreme [[1930s radio... in-house orchestras and studios) to what appears to be broadcast radio's future [[a computer with an uplink, a transmitter, and a shared antenna in a non-descript cinder block building) radio is being killed by money men.

When Kevin O'Neill was on WHND in the morning, he had the ability to air notices of local events and often his comedic quips were of local interest.

Every time we lose access to local radio, we lose knowledge about things that matter to us locally.

Satellite radio is really a digitally packaged bundle of diversely formatted elevator music. Try phoning an XM channel and voicing your thoughts.
    Last edited by goggomobil; April-08-10 at 08:59 AM.