Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default PSL Basketball back in the day....

from 1968-1984, i can say without fear of successful contradiction, some of the best basketball players in the state of Michigan played in the PSL, River Rouge, Flint, and Highland Park. i went to River Rouge high School from 68-70, and graduated from Detroit Northwestern in 1971. i saw all the PSL championships at CoboHall, and all the State A-B-C-D finals at Crisler and old Jenison Fieldhouse. while im here i'll give an old school shout out for some of the best i saw. if you are a witness, add on....i wont forget anyone, but i'll be back to see how this thread goes. from Pershing, Spencer Haywood and Ralph Simpson...later, Robert 'Bubbles' Hawkins....from Kettering, Lindsay Hairston, Coneil Norman and Eric Money [[Con and Eric played plenty in the NBA)....i'll never forget Larry Fogle, but IMHO, Antoine Joubert was best. i'll shout for Johnny Davis who from Murray-Wright went to Dayton, won a World Championship with Portland in the NBA.....Joe Cosey of Northwestern may have been one of the purest shooters ever, but Clifford Pratt, Jeff Walker, and michael 'Setback' Gray of Mackenzie had great careers. before i stop here, it's time to 'show you where i'm from' [[River Rouge)...Bill Kilgore, Dewayne Johnson, Marvin Dunson, Malcolm and Leighton Moulton, Al Boswell....these guys all rate, because i went to school with them. i'll be back to this thread, but in the meantime, add on, and if know where these guys are....pull my coat! props and respect.

Here's a link to a very good site specializing on PSL basketball

http://www.detroitpslbasketball.com/

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Here's a link to a very good site specializing on PSL basketball

http://www.detroitpslbasketball.com/
    thanks for the reply. i've got that link, and i use it often for total recall. props!

Being from Flint I can sure tell you a lot about the Flint Basketball scene in the 70's and 80's.
    Flint Central had what I think was the best of the group in 81-83 when they won 3 straight Class A Championships. They had so much talent it was crazy. Following close behind was Flint Northwestern who won back to back in 84 & 85. Check this lineup for Northwestern.
    Seven players from that team went on to Divison I schools:
    Jeff Grayer [[Iowa State & NBA)
    Glen Rice [[Michigan & NBA)
    Andre Rison [[Michigan State football & NFL),
    Anthony Pendleton [[USC)
    Tim Nunn [[Wisconsin-Green Bay)
    Michael Avery [[Central Michigan)
    Darryl Miller [[Central Michigan)
    Last edited by kenp; April-13-10 at 02:06 PM.

Default Flint for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Being from Flint I can sure tell you a lot about the Flint Basketball scene in the 70's and 80's.
    Flint Central had what I think was the best of the group in 81-83 when they won 3 straight Class A Championships. They had so much talent it was crazy. Following close behind was Flint Northwestern who won back to back in 84 & 85. Check this lineup for Northwestern.
    Seven players from that team went on to Divison I schools:
    Jeff Grayer [[Iowa State & NBA)
    Glen Rice [[Michigan & NBA)
    Andre Rison [[Michigan State football & NFL),
    Anthony Pendleton [[USC)
    Tim Nunn [[Wisconsin-Green Bay)
    Michael Avery [[Central Michigan)
    Darryl Miller [[Central Michigan)
    Kemp, you tell the truth here. no doubt or debate from me! there's more FLINTstones than MoPete and Mateen!! This team WAS a machine.

Dont forget guys like:
    Terry Mills - Romulus/U-M/1st road draft pick
    Derrick Coleman -Detroit Northern/Syracuse/ #1 draft pick
    Steve Smith - Pershing/MSU/1st round draft pick
    Mike Talley - Cooley/U-M
    Lyman Depriest - Highland Park/UConn
    Anderson Hunt - Southwestern/UNLV
    Willie Burton - St. Martin dePorres/Minnesota/1st round draft pick
    Loy Vaught - E. Kentwood/U-M/1st round draft pick
    B.J. Armstrong - Brother Rice/Iowa/1st round draft pick/3x nba champion
    Roy Marble - Flint Beecher/Iowa
    Demetrious Gore - Chadsey/Pitt
    Glynn Blackwell - Highland Park - Illinois
    Mark Macon - Saginaw Buena Vista/Temple - 1st round draft pick
    Matt Steigenga - G.R. South Christian - 2nd round draft pick

Check out Spike's TV pro's and Joe's and watch one of the PSL finest in the 90's
    Antonio Gates