Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Vacant Land at Michigan & Trumbull

If I recall correctly, the Tiger Stadium Conservancy stated that there were plans to do something on the site anyway. Are they still active? I tried going to their old website and it appears that it's now a Real Estate site.

There's so much vacant land in Detroit, why would anybody try to redevelop it there as opposed to somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    There's so much vacant land in Detroit, why would anybody try to redevelop it there as opposed to somewhere else?
    Location, Location, Location.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Location, Location, Location.
    I think Ilitch still has plans for it this summer. I believe his spokesperson said they'd be sending crews to the parcel to "salt the earth so that nothing may grow."

I think there's still the money that was earmarked by Levin that could be used. Or does everything, including the money by Levin, fall under the authority of the DEGC?

I drove by there today. The corner looks so strange without Tiger Stadium anchoring it [[almost scary).

Anyways, does anyone know why they left the gates in place?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Anyways, does anyone know why they left the gates in place?
    To protect it from vandals.

Tiger Stadium Conservancy [[TSC) is still in possession of a federal appropriation of 3.8 million [[Carl Levin). The bill states: "Preservation and redevelopment of a public park and related business activities in the Corktown neighborhood." Even though the stadium is long gone, the money is still available.

A monthly Corktown Resident's Council Meeting will be taking place at Nemo's Bar and Grill Tuesday, April 6 at 6:30 [[today) and the TSC Board of Directors has been invited to discuss their plans and answer any questions the public may have in regards to the appropriation.

At the CRC meeting last month at the IBEW hall, the TSC was in attendance and told the audience that they are not physically in possession of the monies, that they must present a plan to the DEGC that must be approved in order to have access to the funds. If a plan isn't approved, then they are in danger of losing the funds, since they were only appropriated for the 2010 fiscal year. There is some controversy regarding this money and the TSCs involvement in what redevelopment will be in store for the Corktown neighborhood, who will be involved, and who will stand to gain from the future development. Several different non-profits are involved in the conversation.

To protect it from vandals.
    Hah hah! Or to help us collect the spring trash that it catches and displays for passing motorists...

With how much they were rushing to clear this land for that development, I'm sure it's coming any day now...

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Tiger Stadium Conservancy [[TSC) is still in possession of a federal appropriation of 3.8 million [[Carl Levin). The bill states: "Preservation and redevelopment of a public park and related business activities in the Corktown neighborhood." Even though the stadium is long gone, the money is still available.

A monthly Corktown Resident's Council Meeting will be taking place at Nemo's Bar and Grill Tuesday, April 6 at 6:30 [[today) and the TSC Board of Directors has been invited to discuss their plans and answer any questions the public may have in regards to the appropriation.

At the CRC meeting last month at the IBEW hall, the TSC was in attendance and told the audience that they are not physically in possession of the monies, that they must present a plan to the DEGC that must be approved in order to have access to the funds. If a plan isn't approved, then they are in danger of losing the funds, since they were only appropriated for the 2010 fiscal year. There is some controversy regarding this money and the TSCs involvement in what redevelopment will be in store for the Corktown neighborhood, who will be involved, and who will stand to gain from the future development. Several different non-profits are involved in the conversation.

Great information [[this is one of the reasons that I love DetroitYes). Thank you.