Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    This is unlikely. First, because unlike say schools where age cohorts are tightly grouped and you see major ups and downs in student populations with birthrates, people of the same age die in a much more dispersed fashion. The youngest boomers are only 50--most of them will still be around in twenty years, and there will be many of them around in thirty years.

Second, in 30 years you will have the echo boom reaching 65.

Third, the generation in the middle isn't that small. See, for example, http://i.imgur.com/L5vCrNM.gif Even the smallest cohort is bigger than the 60-64 cohort is now. Yes, that cohort will be smaller then, as some of them won't make it to 60, but we aren't talking a huge drop.

There may be other reasons why our health infrastructure will be inappropriate, but I don't see a demographic problem.
    Agree.

I looked at that demographic profile with the 5-year age groupings and I don't see a population bust in the U.S. Nor do I see a 'hollowed out' population where there will be a significant loss of population for certain population groups [[e.g., 65 - 69 in 20 years) in certain years going forward.

This has to be good news for the U.S. as we won't face 'boom or bust' in schools, nursing homes, etc.

It appears our population will grow steadily and I'd presumably led by net in migration.

I believe ACA [["Obamacare") will drive health care utilization over the next 5, 10, 20 years by increasing demand for a relatively stable population [[persons will continue to utilize more health care).
    Last edited by emu steve; January-09-15 at 05:07 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4