Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    which is ironic in itself because if you read history, the Democrats opposed freeing the slaves. they opposed Civil Rights laws. they prided themselves on wars with native americans, and created and enforced the indian reservation programs. in fact, the president and vice president of the Confederate States of America were both democrats. funny how those facts are never talked about.
    Funny how you automatically equate "liberal" with "Democrat".

I do not dispute the facts you stated above. But if you have ever lifted a history book, you know that these facts applied to the antebellum Democrats when they were a regional party of wealthy, white, property-owning Southern males who sought to force a doctrine of popular sovereignty on the rest of the nation.

Oh, wait a second....

You might be interested in this, Papasito:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Strategy
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; April-07-10 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I do not dispute the facts you stated above. But if you have ever lifted a history book, you know that these facts applied to the antebellum Democrats when they were a regional party of wealthy, white, property-owning Southern males who sought to force a doctrine of popular sovereignty on the rest of the nation.
    Sounds eerily like today's Republican Party, just change the "exclusive southern males" part to "wealthy, elite corporate males".

Funny how you automatically equate "liberal" with "Democrat".
    yeah thats true. my bad. just like not all Republicans are Conservatives.
    Sounds eerily like today's Republican Party, just change the "exclusive southern males" part to "wealthy, elite corporate males".
    there ya go with the b.s. insinuation that Democrats in office are broke, while the Republican ones are rich. all you have to do is google who the wealthiest people are in Congress and Government, and Democrats are right there in the top spots. both parties are so wealthy and out of touch it's pathetic
    But if you have ever lifted a history book, you know that these facts applied to the antebellum Democrats when they were a regional party of wealthy, white, property-owning Southern males who sought to force a doctrine of popular sovereignty on the rest of the nation
    roots are roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    both parties are so wealthy and out of touch it's pathetic.
    I'll agree with that. I was just being humorous with the post about today's Repub Party.

for anyone who truly wants to understand the rep/dem BS, I suggest Joe Bagaent's "Deer Hunting with Jesus" [[esp the "deep-fried, double-wide lifestyle")

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3