Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Bullet Guest

Default Return to the East Side

After living in Ferndale for the last 12 years or so, I am returning to live on the east side of Detroit. I have been no stranger, I have family and friends who are rooted here, and my work takes me to the far east side daily. I will be near my old 'hood at 7 and Hayes. Funny how things circle around

Buy American Guest

7 and Hayes was my old neighborhood from 1968 to 1993.

I once lived at 7 and Schoenherr. It was very nice, then. 7Mile Rd and Hayes, today, is an area where one must watch his back, car, and home, constantly. Some feel that it is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the City. Too many drugs, too little hope. Sorry, but I wanted to give a heads up.
    I would love to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I once lived at 7 and Schoenherr. It was very nice, then. 7Mile Rd and Hayes, today, is an area where one must watch his back, car, and home, constantly. Some feel that it is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the City. Too many drugs, too little hope. Sorry, but I wanted to give a heads up.
    I would love to be proven wrong.
    It's hit or miss. Quite frnakly most of this area held up nicely until the dot.com & sub-prime mortgage bubble bust.

Areas south of 7 Mile and North of Gratiot/Houston Whittier from Gratiot to Hayes are pretty rough. However, the area bounded by State Fair, Schoenherr, 8 Mile and Kelly are still very nice. It's somewhat hit or miss between Gratiot, Hoover, 7 Mile and 8 Mile too, but largely a hit. Then the area bounded by south of 7 Mile bounded by Hayes/Kelly/Harper/I-94/Morang [[I think you understand where I'm talking about, in/around Denby) is holding up quite nicely. Then between McNichols, 7 Mile, Schoenherr and Hoover is also hit or miss. Areas between Mt. Olivet and Hoover/Gunston are holding up too.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-04-10 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    After living in Ferndale for the last 12 years or so, I am returning to live on the east side of Detroit. I have been no stranger, I have family and friends who are rooted here, and my work takes me to the far east side daily. I will be near my old 'hood at 7 and Hayes. Funny how things circle around

Well then I expect you to be a frequent participant in the St. Jude thread!

Buy American Guest

Between Hayes and Brock, 7 Mile and State Fair are terrible. It looks like a bomb hit it. When we left [[1993) at least the homes were still there; although they were becoming quite run down from lack of caring.

Bullet Guest

I’ll be on Lappin, between Hayes and Queen. I figure that since Detroit has had a Democrat Mayor, in a county with a Democrat Executive, in the State of Michigan with a Democrat Governor, and now a Democrat President of the United States, I will be living in a paradise, like New Orleans or something! I know you guys are just pulling my leg with all that crazy talk. I’ll be close to the St. John ER too!

Bullet, your situation is similar to mine. I've been in the 'dale since ' 04 and I'm pretty happy here, but sometimes I miss the ol' eastside. I was born & raised there [[ DLS-'82). I visit my dad on Tacoma once in a while and I'm always struck by the level of deterioration I see. You guys are spot on when you say there are some very dangerous areas. Those areas keep St. John's trauma center supplied with customers. But enough "Debbie Downer" talk- I applaud your choice to move back & wish you the best of luck.

Welcome back to the "hood"! I'm on Eastwood between Hayes and Brock. When I bought my house last year there were 5 vacant houses on the block. Only one eyesore remains, and it will sell when the tax auction is held end of summer. I'm in one of those fortunate brick blocks that remains decent down to Kelly, but I don't cross Hayes... My block is good for me, hopefully you will have the same success!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Much of the discussion about the 7 and Hayes area have been documented in the St. Jude thread or the Heilmann thread. Yes there are pockets of nicely kept up homes [[especially east of Hayes) however that is not the general trend. Hopefully, Bullet, your return is one of hope and can make a positive difference. I have to agree with Bobl. Be cautiously optimistic.

Bullet Guest

Hey, I'm all about making a difference, always have been. I leave places better off then they were found, and perhaps you may think in this case that would be a no-brainer.

Bullet Guest

@EMG:
    I plan to be back on the 'East Beat' with some photographic reporting, including St. Jude.

Sorry but that is a real rough area. That is where that Matt Landry kid's body was found after that shithead kidnapped and murdered him. Own a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterhuntPrincess View Post
    Welcome back to the "hood"! I'm on Eastwood between Hayes and Brock. When I bought my house last year there were 5 vacant houses on the block. Only one eyesore remains, and it will sell when the tax auction is held end of summer. I'm in one of those fortunate brick blocks that remains decent down to Kelly, but I don't cross Hayes... My block is good for me, hopefully you will have the same success!
    I have fond memories of Eastwood. My grandparents were on Eastwood between Hayes and Gratiot [[I know, that stretch is horrible now) from 1936 to 1944, and then moved down the street to one of those brick homes just east of Brock and stayed 'til 1961.

Bullet Guest

Let’s do that MIWP, strength in numbers my friend. I will be staying with a brother, and yes, Patrick we have firepower enough. He showed me where the body of that poor young man was found, just a block away from his crib. Let’s see if this move back does make a difference in a city that could care less.