Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit - A Manual for Citizens

I recently was told about a book titled "Detroit - A Manual For Citizens"
    and some of the pages that were scanned for me date it from the 1960's [[fallout shelter in schools as part of the chapter on Civil Defense in Detroit)
    And just this week I got a copy of this book. And it is not the same. there is no information on fallout shelters but about air raid shelters.
    This copy is the 5th edition but is copyrighted in 1958.
    Time to dust off those books and lets see how many different editions there are?
    My copy is 374 pages long. And has Detroit Public Schools at the bottom on the cover.

[[ I am interested in purchasing the first 4 editions prior to the 5th edition and those that come after)

Default try Amazon...

I just looked on Amazon, they have a 1965 & a 1968 version available. Good luck...

I think I have the 1973 edition. I'm away from home now but whe I get back I'll scan the cover.

It's a great civics book for middle and high school students. [[Do they teach civics in school any more?) Got mine at John King Books; I would check there first before buying online.

Mike, I already did, and they don't have any at this time.

I've seen this book before. I wish I remember where.

I have a similar Detroit Public Schools book titled "Detroit At Work" published in 1966.

It was a friend's Salvation Army find.

Attachment 5676

6th Edition, 3rd Printing, February 1973

Copyright pages says:

Under the title "Citizenship in Detroit", previous editions as follows: First Edition, Copyright 1938; Second Edition, Copyright 1942; and Third Edition, Copyright 1945 by C. C. Barnes; Fourth Edition, Copyright 1949 by Stanley E. Dimond and Mies E. Beamer.

Under the present title: Fifth Edition, prepared under the supervision of Elsie M. Beck, Copyright 1958 by the Board of Education of the City of Detroit.

Sixth Edition, prepared under the supervision of Elmer F. Pflieger, Copyright 1968 by The Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit, 1968 Revision by Fred Schoen.

First Printing, April 1968
    Second Printing, April 1971
    Third Printing, February 1973 [[not updated except as to end-papers).
    Last edited by MikeM; April-06-10 at 01:17 PM.