Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

The Dude Guest

Default 12 year old busted for writing on desk

Did you see the story on aol.com about the 12 year old girl who wrote on her desk and was arrested, taken in handcuffs? PIGS arrest kids for writing on their classroom desks, not THE PROFESSIONAL POLICE OFFICERS.

If there are any police officers out there, care to chime in?

aolnews.com

Are you the guy from that movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnLweMNQoiE

Didn't this happen a while ago?
    http://mydeathspace.com/smf/index.php?topic=24092.0

Couple of months ago. What, is there something new to report?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Couple of months ago. What, is there something new to report?
    Not that I know of, but I did post a link to another discussion about it. One of the members there is a NY teacher.

If the principal pressed charges, there is not much a cop could do other than arrest the child. Being arrested is tramatic but it is not the same thing as being convicted. Sounds to me the school athorities have issues with the young lady, or with children in general.

But I'm not seeing where the cops did anything really wrong. Granted, Andy Taylor would have handled things differently and the whole episode would have been over in 22 minutes; but Andy lived in Mayberry, not NYC.

I must confess that as a small gnome I too wrote on my desk chair. In ink. All the names of the girls in my heart that week. I was not treated too well by Sister Joel and her henchfiends dressed in black and starch. Granted, my crime was horrid and my punishment was to resurface all the other chairs that had been marred by the furtive hands of other wayward youths.

It took me about a week of staying after school sanding, staining and varnishing. Out of that punishment I learned never to write an anything I didn't own in full, and I learned how to refinish furniture. Sister Joel, I hope is spinning on a skewer over a boiling fetid pit of pig poo, but that is another story.

Michigan Guest

One less graphitey artist to deal with.
    Good work!

Gnome, I didn't post the news link, but the little graffitiess is suing the schools for some ridiculous amount of bucks.

in the old days before all this politically correct B.S.
    the school would have made her clean her desk and everyone else's
    or just give the student a good swat on the butt

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    If the principal pressed charges, there is not much a cop could do other than arrest the child. Being arrested is tramatic but it is not the same thing as being convicted. Sounds to me the school athorities have issues with the young lady, or with children in general.

But I'm not seeing where the cops did anything really wrong. Granted, Andy Taylor would have handled things differently and the whole episode would have been over in 22 minutes; but Andy lived in Mayberry, not NYC.

I must confess that as a small gnome I too wrote on my desk chair. In ink. All the names of the girls in my heart that week. I was not treated too well by Sister Joel and her henchfiends dressed in black and starch. Granted, my crime was horrid and my punishment was to resurface all the other chairs that had been marred by the furtive hands of other wayward youths.

It took me about a week of staying after school sanding, staining and varnishing. Out of that punishment I learned never to write an anything I didn't own in full, and I learned how to refinish furniture. Sister Joel, I hope is spinning on a skewer over a boiling fetid pit of pig poo, but that is another story.
    If the police had to take her in they should have acted like professional police officers, not PIGS WITH THE HANDCUFFS. tHIS WAS A 12 YEAR OLD GIRl, whose only "crime"was writing on her classroom desk. She didn't do anything violent. She wasn't drunk, high, or disorderly, nor was she running away from the officer[[s), nor did she resist. I'll give the officer[[s) some slack and say maybe the the REAL PIGS were the higher up [[police chief, schol chief, mayor) who told the cops to handcuff the girl.

Happy Easter.

Michigan Guest

Dude, are you cockpunching?

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Dude, are you cockpunching?
    ?????????????????????????

I agree they went way too far arresting her like that, if writing on the desk is all she did. "Zero tolerance" policies were supposed to restore order to the schools and quell parents' fears after Columbine, but what they ended up doing is relieving teachers and school authorities from having to make normal, everyday judgment calls. They get to pass the buck to police instead of putting a kid in the corner with a dunce cap. It can be an easy cop-out in some cases.
    That said, a good teacher knows damn well what's going on with their kids. They can't always prove it, but if they're paying attention they know which kids did what. There may be some details to this story that only the people in the classroom know about.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If the police had to take her in ...
    Please read:

Gonzalez was doodling her name on her desk at JHS 190 with an erasable marker when adults at the school caught her, slapped handcuffs on her and marched her to the police precinct directly across the street.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    ...was arrested...PIGS arrest kids for writing on their classroom desks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard
    I agree they went way too far arresting her like that...
    Nowhere in the article does it mention that she was arrested by law enforcement.
    Last edited by Retroit; April-05-10 at 11:50 AM.

Now we 're arresting kids just by doing petty crimes. Kids don't come with instruction manuals. We the parents [[ Adults) must train our kids to know the difference between right and wrong. Kids will do right and wrong by their own choosing when they possess by the knowledge of good and evil, but it's up to us balance that equation.

Kids doing petty crimes will be punish by the parent[[s). Kids who did serious crimes will punishment by the law.

Here are some crimes the national media made it soft news.

1. A 15 year old girl who been bullied and teased commited suicide.

2. A another 15 year girl who had been receiving threats on-line had been beaten by a two teens. She is now in the hospital bed recovering from her wounds.
    Last edited by Danny; April-07-10 at 11:12 AM.