Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Packard Proving Grounds - OPEN HOUSE

From a recent press release:

The Packard Proving Grounds Historic Site invites everyone to enjoy the annual Spring Open House on Sunday, April 25, 2010, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

The Proving Grounds are located in ShelbyTownship between 22 and 23 Mile Roads on the west side of Van Dyke. Look for the green watertower.

Admission is FREE, parking is FREE and the event is open to all.

Tour the Gate Lodge and grounds and enjoy a delicious hot dog and pop while listening to Johnny Trudell’s fabulous Big Band.

The beautiful Miss America X race boat will be a featured display. Gar Wood piloted this 38 foot, wooden beauty for a record run of 124.9 mph in 1932. Four massive Packard V-12 engines provided the power.

The Packard Proving Grounds Historic Site covers 14 acres and includes 8 historic structures, including the water tower and Albert Kahn-designed Gate Lodge, both clearly visible from Van Dyke. Pass through the massive wrought iron gates and explore the progress being made on this developing property and featured in the National Park Service-Motor Cities National Heritage Area.

We are a Michigan Historic Site and we're listed in The National Register of Historic Places.

If you have any questions please contact Tom Mitchell, Open House Chairman, at the Proving Grounds at [[586) 739-4800.

http://www.motorcitypackards.com/Spring%20Open%20House%204-25-10%20Flyer%20final.pdf

Packards, Big Band Sounds, Gar Wood, Albert Kahn and the Twin Pines, Divco milktruck will be on display. Only thing missing is YOU.

Heres some photos from a few years back:
    http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=581

LodgeDodger Guest

yay!

.................................................. ...................................

Okay. This one's on my calendar right now.

The Packard Grill next door is remarkable too. Big portions with low prices. Sports bar in the front, restaurant in the back. They're really happy to please. It's as if they're motivated by passion rather than profit. Great Packard art on the walls too.
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-03-10 at 09:59 PM.

Please go to this link to see a recent aerial view of the Packard Proving Grounds:

http://www.packardmotorfdn.org/Aerial_View.htm

The "Lindbergh Hanger" was moved from it's original location - the infield of the 2.5 mile, high-speed, oval track where it would have been demolished. The Packard Motor Car Foundation moved it to the last 14 acres for preservation. http://www.packardmotorfdn.org/Hangar%20page.htm

Hello Everyone:

Here is a link to photos from the October 2009 Open House at the Packard Proving Grounds:

http://www.packardmotorfdn.org/Open%...9%20photos.htm

I finally posted some more selects from my visit.

Default Packard Proving Ground -- OPEN HOUSE

Just wanted to remind everyone of the FREE Open House at the Packard Proving Ground next weekend - Sunday, April 25 from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM. The PPG is locate on the west side of Van Dyke Road, between 22 Mile Road and 23 Mile Road in Shelby Township.

I forgot to post my slideshow.

DC48080 Guest

This open house sounds interesting. I may check it out.

LodgeDodger Guest

Visited the Providing Grounds for the first time Wednesday night. What an amazing place. We plan to attend the Open House.

The old Packard Proving Grounds is a beautifully restored site. Much credit goes to the folks who have done restoration work there. Truly a historic landmark worthy of National Register and State historic designation. If you've never been, this is a fantastic opportunity to see it.

Default Packard Proving Grounds --OPEN HOUSE

Hello Rocko:

We appreciate the kind words. The group that is restoring the PPG is the Packard Motor Car Foundation www.packardmotorfdn.org.

Hopefully, we will have good weather a week from today and get a good crowd out to see our preservation efforts over the last 12 years. We've come a long way but please understand that we have a long way to go.

Coincidently, John MacArthur, a Trustee of the Packard Motor Car Foundation, will be speaking at the Great Depression lecture series at Macomb Community College. Location: Lorenzo Cultural Center. When: Tuesday, April 27 at 11:00 AM. Naturally, his topic is the Packard Motor Car Company.

Please click onto the article from yesterday's Macomb Daily:
    http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/...story_comments

BTW, that's my 1941 4-door convertible sedan in the overhead photo - tan top / maroon body.
    Hope the weather forecast improves for Sunday - rain is not welcome at car displays.

Ok, so tomorrow is the day and you’ve seen the same weather forecast as we have. So the crew at the PPG has been working at the site to bring all the special features indoors.

The Johnny Trudell Band will be playing in the Repair Garage.
    Funny as this sounds, Johnny has played in this building before and liked the acoustics so much that he made a live recording there for an upcoming CD. Now he claims he is back to being a “garage band.”

Miss America X will be displayed in the huge Engineering Building

The children’s petting zoo will also be in the Engineering building

The Packard Grille will be selling hot dogs, chips and pop for a modest fee.

The weather may keep the car count down, but when I was there yesterday three museum quality Packards, from a private collection, were being unloaded for display in the Repair Garage.

Our volunteers have been working hard at spring cleaning for this Open House. We hope to see you there.

The northern part of the high speed ring is still there. Can it be driven?

Reminds me of the Brooklands race track west of London. A major part of this historic racetrack is preserved. Sadly, a lap is impossible now. That is untill Top Gear's James May came up with an idea....

Default Pardard Proving Ground -- OPEN HOUSE

Hello Whitehouse:
    No, the track was torn out by the real estate developer and leveled several years ago -- there is nothing to drive on but dirt. What you are seeing in the Google Earth map is somewhat of an optical illusion. You are actually looking at land that is graded flat, but the work road that created by the land moving equipment it gives the appearance that the track is still there.

Notice on the right side of the map an East/West road that they label as the New York Central [[NYC) Railroad Yard. It is actually called Packard Boulevard and as you go west the road deadends at the Timing Tower and at 475' of the remaining test track. Now look how the work road is somewhat "off" the actual track.

Secondly, the land where you thought the track still existed is NOT owned by the Packard Motor Car Foundation, it is in private hands.

What you can drive on is the Packard Boulevard from Van Dyke to the Timing Tower and take a photo of you and your car there.

Anyway, come on out Sunday and we can show you around. It looks as if the weather forecast is improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post

Anyway, come on out Sunday and we can show you around. It looks as if the weather forecast is improving.
    That will be quite an achievement if I succeed in getting there, let alone park my car on the remaining part of the track...

...since I live on the other side of the Atlantic in the Netherlands.

It's a great excuse for me not to be there this weekend but if I do make it over there sometime it sure is a great destination to visit.

Here is a 1957 high-resolution aerial photo of the Packard Proving Grounds and test track.

We plan on going, close to 1:00, if you see a lady in a short green trench coat, that will probably be me.

DC48080 Guest

I'm looking forward to seeing the place. I should be there around 1:00 or so.

DC48080 Guest

I just got back from the open house. What a neat place and the cars were incredible! There seemed to be a good number of people there despite the weather.

Just one question, what was with the old Chrysler K car and the old Dodge Mirada parked on the boulevard with the classic cars? Those two are hardly collector cars.

We got back a while ago, and we had a really good time, too. There was a BMW coupe there on the blvd, too. We thought maybe they were volunteers or band parking. Or handicap parking maybe.

I really enjoyed the tour of the Lodge where the manager lived, and the nice pix of the time they lived there. We saw the pieces of the main entrance of the Packard HQ that was taken there to preserve it. I wonder where they will install it. There was quite a bit of info about restoration of the buildings, and you could get in on it by sponsoring bits. For instance, I saw someone's name on a second floor window box on the Lodge that was full of colorful pansies.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; April-25-10 at 03:43 PM.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    I just got back from the open house. What a neat place and the cars were incredible! There seemed to be a good number of people there despite the weather.

Just one question, what was with the old Chrysler K car and the old Dodge Mirada parked on the boulevard with the classic cars? Those two are hardly collector cars.
    betterhalf wondered the same.

We had a great time today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast