Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Reuben?

Default Best Reuben?

McVees in Southfield!

Foran's is one of my all time favorites. Noah's in Dearborn is a real good one too

Eph you all..... :-)

Go to Eph's! My favorite sandwich place, even though I don't get there enough. Although, I have been remiss in not trying the Reuben at Foran's [[Technically now Foran's Grand Trunk Pub). I should go do that this week.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvision View Post
    Eph you all..... :-)

Go to Eph's! My favorite sandwich place, even though I don't get there enough. Although, I have been remiss in not trying the Reuben at Foran's [[Technically now Foran's Grand Trunk Pub). I should go do that this week.
    I tried going to Eph's on a couple different occasions when was in downtown a week ago, however, they were never open...this despite arriving during "business" hours? What gives?

I loved Eph's in downtown. I had the best turkey sandwich ever. Also, the two young ladies working there were cute.

No arguments that Eph's makes some damn good food but you can't get a proper Reuben.

DV: Thanks for the correction. I will get the hang of it sooner or later.

Nocturnal,

Precisely when did you stop by Eph's this past week?!

We are open from eleven in the morning during the week, twelve on the weekends...to eight Sunday through Wednesday, then eleven Thursday through Saturday.

We are flirting with super-late hours those three nights, but haven't come to any conclusions. Enough draw and I'll stay late...or early. Whatever.

Try us again, and don't tell me you're the fellow who called the other night and dropped in at eight-thirty after calling earlier. I put up a sign on the locked door saying I would be five minutes. Those three guys didn't wait a moment, because I ran from the back room the instant I saw them walking towards the door. I had seen them park in front another moment earlier, but was busy washing dishes and cleaning everything up for the next day.

Before this week, I cannot say, because the owner has been closing until recently. He'll be happy to learn the truth of what you very publicly report here.

That said, our famous Mable Clark...number sixteen for regulars...is not technically a Reuben. We use our fresh-cut three-to-four-times-made-weekly cole slaw instead of Sour Kraut, with Onion Rolls baked that morning, some Russian dressing, and great Swiss cheese.

NOW we're bordering on advertising...heh. But, gotta keep the record straight.

Now I've got to have one before I leave. Dammit.

Cheers, and DO try us again. We're worth it.

Sincerely,
    John

Gannon - My initial attempt was Thursday, April 9th at around 5:30-6PM. I checked the posted hours to be sure, but to no avail. The second attempt was on Saturday, April 11th, but it may have been a bit before 12 PM. I know that I'll make it back for sure some day, because I have yet to try it. Thanks for the info.

Zef's is a safe bet on any sandwich... plus they're great people. They're stuck in our Trolley Market at the moment but that's soon to change... also their "Zef's Favorite" [[turkey, swiss, cole slaw) is unbelievable!

btw where is ephs?

Nickstone, it's at Congress and Woodward Avenue on the east side of the street. Look for the pickle sign.

Nocturnal,

So it was earlier rather than later...wow, sorry. I thought you got caught in the late hours adjustments that happened these past few weeks, but those were Sundays-Wednesdays after eight.

That isn't the first time I've heard of an after five temporary close...if there was no sign, we have no excuse. Had an experience myself walking in one night.

That day manager is being phased into a less demanding position, starting today. Anyone who ever experienced any friction is encouraged to come back to their Eph's favorites.

If you get near, please try again, either Scott or myself will be here. We'll take care of you.

Cheers,
    John

Nocturnal,

I just checked the calendar, and that was a bad day for our day manager. A friend who'd been in an accident was finally able to get up and out...and requested her as company. There wasn't anything that would get between her and this chance to see this woman who'd been a coma the week previous.

I can't make this up.

She closed not long after the lunch rush, and neither the owner or I could get down there before six.

So yeah, sorry. We'll make it up to you.

Cheers!

What I love about the McVee's sandwich, its THICK sliced, slow stewed corn beef that disintegrates into flavor once you take a chomp. Their kraut is warmed, liberally served and vinegary the way it's supposed to be, the bread is buttered and skilleted with the juices from the meet and kraut cooked in to it for utter perfection. A pickle on the side and a good midwestern beer finish it off nicely.

9mile&seneca Guest

Default Reuben

I've been wondering for years, I like mine with mustard instead of thousand islands dressing. Is this still a Reuben, or just a corned beef sandwich?

The Russell Street Deli in Eastern Market makes a mean reuben.

House of Reuben on 8 Mile Rd. with a bowl of beef barley.

There is no question that all of the places listed above have great sandwiches but when it comes to a Reuben there is simply no better place than the Hy-grade Deli. It has consistently been the best Reuben I have ever had.

Believe it or not, the old kitchen at Rock and Bowl [[Majestic) made my favorite Reuben. My buddy and I would always go ahead and order 2 each because one was never enough. We weren't happy when they shut down that kitchen because of that horrid pizza place.

if the Schnelli Deli is still there by Wayne State, that used to be my favorite. Moved to TN in '82, and miss the place. Their pastrami was also to die for.

foran's has the best hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

russell st deli makes a good reuben.

Lunch counter at Kresge's at the 7 Mack Center

Gotta love Wikipedia! The origins remind me of that 'Curb Your Enthusiam' episode where Larry David contradicts an aquaintence that claims his relative invented the Cobb Salad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_sandwich

When did Reuben's Deli close in Manhattan?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast