Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Weather update

The Dude Guest

Default Weather update

There will be NO MORE SNOW in the Metro Detroit area until at least November 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    There will be NO MORE SNOW in the Metro Detroit area until at least November 2010.
    Can I quote you on that?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Can I quote you on that?
    I think you just did.

I wouldn't count on that at all. Some of the biggest snows I can remember were in April.

When that May snowstorm arrives I'll be sure to rub it in your face...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I wouldn't count on that at all. Some of the biggest snows I can remember were in April.
    While this is true, Detroit averages only 3-4" of snow in April.

After April 15th [[tax day), things are USUALLY pretty safe.

I remember one year we got 6" of snow on April 15. I'm pretty sure it was 1990, because I remember it was Sunday, a whole extra day to work on taxes.

It was on April 16th one day after our contract [[a nw detroit neighborhood association) with the snowplower ended. I called and he told him the contract ends on the 15th. He had only plowed twice that winter. It was worth $10,000. He couldn't do it. My phone was ringing off the hook. I left the house.

Well, it was all melted by afternoon.

You folks back in SE Michigan sure have short memories.

I took this photo on April 6 last year when I briefly visited friends in New Hudson. Detroit proper got it just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

I took this photo on April 6 last year when I briefly visited friends in New Hudson. Detroit proper got it just as bad.
    With the warmer air off Lakes St. Clair/Erie along with the Detroit River, the east side of Detroit and the shoreline communities had mixing issues. Those areas ended up with a coating of an inch. The 6" measurement was at Metro Airport [[that area up through the Oakland/Macomb County hills got the worst of that storm, 4-6") I did recall City & Metro Airport did reporting thudnersnow at one point.

That wasn't major by any stretch [[if anything, overhyped) since it occurred on a Sunday and at night. Also it mainly stuck on grassy surfaces, so it didn't cause any road problems. Finally, it all melted immediately the next day.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-02-10 at 08:41 PM.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Don't forget, last year, it did not get up to the 80's in early April.

If it did snow in April after hit the 80's would that be Indian Winter?

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    When that May snowstorm arrives I'll be sure to rub it in your face...
    HA! It won't even snow in the U.P. this May.

The Dude Guest

Put your snow shovels, snow plows, rock salt and skis away. Winter 2009-2010 IS OVER, BABY!

I wish. I remember the beautiful balmy May we had one year, the year the International Bridge opened. The Friday before Memorial Day weekend, we had a blizzard. The temperature plummeted from the 70s to the 20s while we were at school and we had to walk home with the wind whipping snow all around our freezing little bodies.

I graduated from Eisenhower H.S. in 2004, I think Junior and Senior year or Sophomore and Junior year we got snow in April and had 2 snow days. I hate April snow showers especially when you think that Winter is done for.

Hey weatherman! Have you been outside or looked out the window today [[April 15, 2010)

I remember taking my mother out for brunch on a Mother's Day and when we went out to the car, it was snowing. Weather around here can't be much of a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Hey weatherman! Have you been outside or looked out the window today [[April 15, 2010)
    That depends on where in Metro you are. Here in the central city there is no snow. Unless I'm blind.

The Dude Guest

It may have been cold, but still no snow.

At 1:30 PM, snow was falling all around me. Just another Michigan day. [[After 80 degrees).

The Dude Guest

April 15th was sunny out.

Friday wasc just a little rain.