Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default YWCA E. Jefferson possible demo...

Another of Detroit’s historic but vacant structures faces an uncertain future and possibly the wrecking ball.

The University Club at 1411 E. Jefferson, used in recent years by the YWCA of Metropolitan Detroit, has been sold to Detroit party store owner Albert Ammori. Reached today, Ammori declined to discuss his plans for the site, but he told the Free Press that he has no idea how to reuse the historic building. He declined to say if he planned to demolish it.

“I don’t want to talk about it. What do you want me to do with it? I don’t know. … What are you going to do with it if you had it?” he said before hanging up.

Built in 1931, the club was created as a social gathering spot for collegegraduates in Detroit. It flourished for many years but declined along with many other private clubs as jobs and residents fled Detroit in the decades after World War II. The club finally filed for bankruptcy and closed in 1992.

The YWCA took over in 1994, using the club for its headquarters. But storm damage in 2008 on top of ongoing maintenance bills and vandalism made the building too expensive to repair or operate, YWCA President Emma Peterson said.

“It was just too much of a struggle for us,” she said this week. “At some point in time, you just have to make a decision for the survival of the organization.”

Designed by architect William Kapp of the firm Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, the University Club was notable for its leaded glass windows and interiors rich with paneling and carved beam ceilings.

In the mid-’90s, Ammori was involved in a legal dispute over his plans to build a party store selling liquor in the 1300 block of East Jefferson, not far from the University Club.

A neighbor, attorney Richard Goodman, went to court hoping to deny Ammori a liquor license, saying the party store was incompatible with the city’s promises to keep any new development in character with the stately Victorian-era mansion next door where Goodman maintained his law practice. The suit failed.

Contact JOHN GALLAGHER: 313-222-5173 or gallagher@freepress.com

Sounds like a real winner acquired this property:

What do you want me to do with it? I don’t know. … What are you going to do with it if you had it?” he said before hanging up.
    Well, you bought it you dumb ass......sorry its too much to ask what your plans are. Not like they just dropped a beautiful building with some awesome windows and architecture on your stupid lap and left you with it.

I really hope this building can be saved....the beautiful leaded diamond pane windows and architecture are amazing. It fronts both Jefferson and Larned; it seems like a good location but I'm not sure what the best adaptive use would be.

Welcome to the conversation.

http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=5122