Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Private Security Patrol recommendations

As crime keeps picking up in the area, I have been asked to look into other models from around the city of how they deal with crime and private security.... Anyone have any recommendations on models to use and company's to look at?
    Thanks,
    urban

I guess a better question to ak is what neighborhoods do you know have security patols and how effective are they for reducing crime in the area? Also do they do anything like a citizens patrol to add an additional layer of what?

I've seen private security driving around in Midtown [[it was a red Celica with an overhead beacon). I've also seen private security in the newer subdivision just west of the Lodge between Grand River and Warren. It was a beat up station wagon.

I've heard talks about private security patrols in Boston-Edison and EEV. I drove through B-E a few days ago, and noticed "resident watch" signs.

Hope it helps.

-Tahleel

This page has some information regarding Boston-Edison's security company.

Here is the the EEV info...email the president and he should be able to answer any questions you may have.

http://www.eastenglishvillage.org/Security.htm

Indian Village/West Village/Berry Sub/English Village uses DSS [[Dusing Security Systems) from Anchorville for their patrol and everyone is very happy with them.

DetroitDad Guest

Wow, Boston Edison seems to have a better program than most other communities in the area, including many of the suburbs.

I know there is still a security company that patrols Plymouth Road and Old Rosedale in Livonia. The office parks out in Livonia and Southfield have the means to hire full time police officers, as do some big box stores.

Neighborhood watch programs were affective out there; training or just informing everyone of what to do when something happens. The other night a car alarm was going off near my apartment, I couldn't seem to find a non-emergency number on the DPD's web site [[tired, sleep aide, and had to be to work in the morning), so I figured it was annoying enough that everyone probably was reporting it by that point... the next morning it was still going off.

In Livonia they also had the "helping hands" program. Members who were home during the day would place a silhouette of a hand in their window so that those passing by, especially children, would know that that house was "safe" should there be a problem or threat while walking to school.

I do walk around the blocks surrounding my building, and choose to drive or walk from work... slowly, through Brush Park and Grand Circus Park, ever vigilant. The landscape is bad, but it's safe...
    Last edited by DetroitDad; April-04-10 at 01:50 AM.

Our program with DSS is basically the same as the one they provide Boston-Edison. We have one regular patrol person [[TJ) and 2 others part time. We currently have 80 hours/wk. patrol time. More subscribers = more patrol time.

Rosedale Park tried setting one up last fall. It required a voluntary contribution from residents. They got enough money to do 3 months. It did absolutely nothing. Instead of residents watching crime happen, it was paid security guards and residents watching crime happen. They weren't able to get it going past 3 months due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    Our program with DSS is basically the same as the one they provide Boston-Edison. We have one regular patrol person [[TJ) and 2 others part time. We currently have 80 hours/wk. patrol time. More subscribers = more patrol time.
    Hurray for TJ!

More than a few times, he's earned his check!