Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Krogers; Rebuilt in one year

The Krogers store in Grosse Pointe has closed. It is in the village. The plans are for a new Krogers erected in that very same spot within a year.That will be amazingly fast. If Krogers could raze their store then erect a new one up in a year what does it say about the inconpency of Detroit's building program. The Port Authority Terminal will be a two level structure which has taken the city of Detroit two years to erect with no completion date in sight. That say a lot about the way the incompetent leaders of Detroit do things

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The Krogers store in Grosse Pointe has closed. It is in the village. The plans are for a new Krogers erected in that very same spot within a year.That will be amazingly fast. If Krogers could raze their store then erect a new one up in a year what does it say about the inconpency of Detroit's building program. The Port Authority Terminal will be a two level structure which has taken the city of Detroit two years to erect with no completion date in sight. That say a lot about the way the incompetent leaders of Detroit do things
    Just a note, the Detroit Kroger store on Gratiot & 7 Mile [[which is/was probably twice as large than the Grosse Pointe store) was built in one year as well, and that is including the demolition of the old Montgomery Wards.

I guess the whole point is Kroger is not one to play around with their valuable time & money.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-01-10 at 08:23 PM.

there's a Kroger store in Detroit proper?

There was a Kroger in Detroit it lasted one year when they did an audit and realized they lost over a $100,000 in merchandise they closed the NEXT day and sold the store

Meijers seems to be taking their time over on Woodward north of State Fair They've been shuffling dirt around for a year now.

neighbor Guest

STOP!!!

It Kroger not Krogers. Just like it's Ford not Fords, or Meijer not Meijers, or Target not Targets.

Why do Detroiters do this? I haven't heard this in any other part of the country.

I've seen big-box hardware/lumber stores built, stocked and open for business in 6 months.

Government vs corporate in terms of timing for building, turned into suburbs vs Detroit?

Lame.

Relax, have a pop from Krogers and stop the nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor View Post
    STOP!!!

It Kroger not Krogers. Just like it's Ford not Fords, or Meijer not Meijers, or Target not Targets.

Why do Detroiters do this? I haven't heard this in any other part of the country.
    Actually, it's "Krog's"

Bearinabox Guest

STOP!!!

Because not everybody speaks exactly the same form of English? Why do people in Alabama say "y'all?" Why do Canadians say "eh" and "aboot?" Why do Bostonians "pahk the cah?" I say "Krogers" and "Meijers" because that's how I learned to talk, the same as I say "party store" and "pop" and "drinking fountain." Why does this bother you so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    "drinking fountain." Why does this bother you so much?
    What do other people call it?

STOP!!!

Lack of understanding on how to use the possessive apostrophe?

I think the o/p was intending to say "Kroger's", not "Krogers". Kroger's is the store that Kroger owns.

The explanation that I heard for why Detroiters add the unnecessary "s" is that it originated from the days when individual families owned the automobile companies. You didn't work in "the Ford factory", you worked in "Ford's factory".

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Most people I've met from the coasts call it a "water fountain." Confused the hell out of me at first because all fountains have water in them.

Definitely K-Mart

Because the leaders of Detroit are personally building the new Port Authority Terminal?

I hate to have to defend Detroit politicians but... Big difference between building a boat terminal on a riverfront along an international border crossing, and building a grocery store on a lot in a suburb.

STOP!!!

it DOES happen all over the country. Haven't you been outside of Michigan?? People call Kmart 'Kmarts', Walmart 'Walmarts', etc. A friend of mine moved from Tennessee to Texas and worked for Target for a while and griped that people were always calling it 'TargetS'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post

I have heard drinking fountains referred to as "bubblers".

well before we all go patting "Krogers" on the back for a job well done, they did do a few things in typical detroit fashion. A couple years earlier they announced with much fanfare some grandiose plans for a two story Kroger store and a huge multi use building. What is ACTUALLY being done is about half of what was originally promised and about 3 years later than it was originally to be done.

You forgot people who call Saint John Hospital "Saint Johns Hospital".

Default "Kmarts" and "Lasher"

My other two pet peeves not yet mentioned here: Kmarts and Lasher Rd.

STOP!!!

Is there a Krogers anywhere on Lasher?

Quote Originally Posted by gregster View Post
    My other two pet peeves not yet mentioned here: Kmarts and Lasher Rd.
    Liver-noise [[should be "liefer nwa")

Detroit's "inconpency" ??

My mother calls IHOP "ihops". When I extrapolate the acronym for her and say "International House of Pancakes's" ?......she just stares blankly. She also says "CVS's". Like its a local RX store owned by old man CVS. She also says "Chrysler's" and "VW's" for those companies.

Note that the Labatt beer maker prints special labels and taps for our market - because people in this region can not pronounce the name with out an "s"

"Labatt's." lmao - How laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Sahn-ders or Sand-ers? My mom always said Sahn-ders, so do I.

The Port Authority is not a political arm of the City. It is its own independant govt entity. Did it ever occur to ou that one of the reasons why it takes so long is because of things that it cannot control? For example, they are using a ton of federal funding on it, which means that not only does it need permits and inspections by the City but by the State and Feds too. Does a Kroger Store need all of that beauracracy? No.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast