Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tom Barrow to ask court to remove Dave Bing as Mayor.

This guy is losing it.

Is this a April Fools joke?

If removing a mayor was that easy, Kilpatrick would have been gone much earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Is this a April Fools joke?

If removing a mayor was that easy, Kilpatrick would have been gone much earlier.

No joke. It's for real.

Here's the link. My apologies for not posting it earlier. I couldn't remember which paper it was. http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...yoral-election

I feel bad for Mr. Barrow. For years, he has dreamed of only one thing: being mayor of Detroit. Coleman Young thwarted him twice and now Dave Bing denied him what probably will be his last chance to run the city.

I would hope this was a April Fools joke but since it is not then Barrow is looking like a sore loser. Detroit does not have any money for more special elections.

He's starting to sound like the male counterpart to Sharon McPhail....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    He's starting to sound like the male counterpart to Sharon McPhail....
    Now that you mention it, put a little more fur on that upper lip and SM could pass for Barrow.

Tom is the Harold Stassen of Detroit politics [[You young'uns won't understand).

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Tom is the Harold Stassen of Detroit politics [[You young'uns won't understand).
    Enlighten us......

He continues to talk about misuse of public time and resources... he must be spending a lot of time looking at the mirror. The best thing he can do is accept defeat and wait three more years. Detroit can't afford another election now, literally, so in "helping" Detroit, he would just be hurting more.

If there are any Tom Barrow supporters out there, this may change your mind... he calls himself an "accountant," I am an accountant, and any "accountant" who is convicted of tax related charges should not be trusted... it is just something you don't do...

ESP, I drive by Detroit General Hospital every day, where he also mismanaged funds. We call it Eminem General after it made the movie. It still sits boarded up.

I would hope this was a April Fools joke but since it is not then Barrow is looking like a sore loser. Detroit does not have any money for more special elections.
    It sounds like you think his case has merit.

Enlighten us......
    Other than being rather unrealistic about his election chances, Stassen was an honorable man.

Stassen was later best known for being a perennial candidate for the Republican Party nomination for President, seeking it twelve times between 1944 and 2000 [[1944, 1948, 1952, 1964, 1968, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996 and 2000) but never winning it or, after 1952, even coming close. He did receive votes at the Republican National Convention as late as 1968 when he won two votes for president [[one from Minnesota and the other from Ohio).
    Stassen also ran for:

• Dakota County District Attorney [[he won in 1930 and 1934)
    • governor of Minnesota on four occasions [[he won on his first three attempts 1938, 1940, 1942),
    • governor of Pennsylvania twice,
    • United States Senate twice, and
    • mayor of Philadelphia once.
    • U.S. Representative [[He was the Republican nominee against Bruce Vento of Minnesota in 1986).

Sounds like Tom has too much time on his hands. He should get a life.

Thanks, Hermod...I was just getting ready to enlighten when you posted. When the term "perennial candidate" is mentioned, it is Stassen who most often comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Thanks, Hermod...I was just getting ready to enlighten when you posted. When the term "perennial candidate" is mentioned, it is Stassen who most often comes to mind.
    I remember at one of the GOP conventions, someone put his name into nomination and called for a massive demonstration to support a "grand old member of the Grand Old party" and about four guys with Stassen signs strolled up and down the main aisle.

Barrow....[[notice I did not say Mr....as that would mean I respect him and I don't) would turn the hands of time back to when it is a us [[Detroiters) vs them [[suburbanites) mentality....and I think we are now just starting to move past that and its a good thing for the region. We need each other like it or not.....Just my humble opinion.

Sour grapes !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Barrow....[[notice I did not say Mr....as that would mean I respect him and I don't) would turn the hands of time back to when it is a us [[Detroiters) vs them [[suburbanites) mentality....and I think we are now just starting to move past that and its a good thing for the region. We need each other like it or not.....Just my humble opinion.
    Exactly, that is what has stagnated growth in the city for a long time, and what caused everyone to move to the suburbs in the first place. In a region, there can only be one "us," and it is ALL OF US. Barrow has continually campaigned for office on the bill of "keeping what's ours." Barrow was critical of the Cobo deal, saying Detroiters gave up what is rightfully theirs [[even though it was originally built by people who now live in the suburbs), also saying that Bing will give in to the wants of the suburbs. All of the money in the region is in the suburbs, and the key is to bring it back into the city, which Bing is working to do. Barrow would seal the city off to anyone on the outside and people would continue to flee the very difficult business climate, just furthering the problem. The good news is, however, if it doesn't change, eventually everyone will move out of the city and then the people who can fix things can move back.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    The good news is, however, if it doesn't change, eventually everyone will move out of the city and then the people who can fix things can move back.
    Whoa, wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Whoa, wait, what?
    At some point, change is inevitable, and the good news is, that it will eventually happen. The question is when.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    It sounds like you think his case has merit.
    His case is a joke just as it was reported on April Fools Day. Barrow is doing what typical losers do when things don't go their way. They cry and scream of overturning the process. [[Sounds familiar doesn't it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Other than being rather unrealistic about his election chances, Stassen was an honorable man.
    Thanks for enlightening the young'uns.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    At some point, change is inevitable, and the good news is, that it will eventually happen. The question is when.
    Maybe my codespeak detector is overly sensitive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast