Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Councilman? Mayor candidate?

I just cannot imagine this guy has a ghost of a chance to be mayor of Detroit. I wonder how he can stay a city councilman and still look in the mirror....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30311735?GT1=43001

Retroit Guest

This story came out a few weeks ago.

Personally, I think he is one of the saner Councilpeople. [[Not perfect, though.)

Figured it wasn't fresh news even though the feed on MSN said it was only an hour old... I live in Charleston SC now so most of the news I get about Detroit is, like this, old news.

You can't really blame him. He does seem to be fully aware of the consequences to his credit. You would think he'd hold onto it while in the mayoral race, just to avoid the negative publicity, but paying $3600 a month on a mortgage plus taxes and insurance for a house he bought at $250K that's now worth $100K? It may set a bad example, but really, it makes little sense to keep paying that much more than your home is worth just to maintain your credit. Someone should step up and get themselves a big brick house in a good neighborhood for $100K or less, and someone probably will after it goes on the market.

yikes... this is hard to read... I had a lot of respect for him... still do, this is just hard to read...

The article says the Wayne County Prosecuter's home is also in forclosure, Kym is having trouble with her mortgage? I never heard about that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    The article says the Wayne County Prosecuter's home is also in forclosure, Kym is having trouble with her mortgage? I never heard about that before.
    KK's people had a phone campaign to call Detroiters about this during his troubles. This was news a year ago.

Although I don't always agree with him politically, it seems to me that Kenyatta did the mature thing here, as he has done in office, and took care of his family's financial future rather than sink into a foreclosure situation and put at risk whatever savings he has. Even at the potential risk of some of his possible political future, to say nothing of his personal credit. But it's hardly like he's alone amongst Detroiters and people in the Detroit area in having to make these tough decisions. It's a shame for the neighborhood, for sure, but you're going to see a lot more of this kind of thing happening in nicer neighborhoods as values and saleability decline and more people find themselves way underwater with little hope of any near-term relief. I personally know of a few cases like this in Indian Village, Jefferson Ave. apartments, and Palmer Woods.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-21-09 at 11:09 AM.

Its is quite presumption to judge a persons over all character due to a ridiculously high mortgage payment, particularily during a recession in which its wise to keep as much money as possible available for food, gas [[that goes up and down daily) or whatever else may come up. Keep in mind everything is going up except for salaries, so rather than steal from the city like the Kilpatricks he made other moves to put his family in a better financial position.