Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default March Madness downtown

I have friends coming in to town from Chicago and they want to watch the Final Four downtown. I had a few ideas of what bars we should go to, but I was curious if anyone had any good suggestions. Thank you.

They are a year to late, head to Indy.............

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    They are a year to late, head to Indy.............
    Surely this thread was an April Fools joke...

Well, there is the Frozen Four coming to Ford Field.

For the standard multi-TV screen SportsBar venue, Hockeytown Cafe should be rocking. The warm weather will mean the deck will be open and a fair number of "Girls Gone Wild" rejects from Trenton will be on site showing their tramp stamps.

For a more divey experience The Checker should have the game on. Great burgers.

The Anchor Bar has a pool table and a few televisions, expect to run into a few Freep staffers. ok food.

The Post is dark and moody/moldy. Always leaves a powerful impression on outsiders.

Forans has a good beer selection and great atmosphere.

Coaches Corner is in Harmonie Park and will impress your guests with its environs, the downside is that it is owned by famed slumlord, Dennis K.

Upscale: Flood's will have the game, and if they'd turn down the music you might be able to hear the announcers. The Elwood Grill or the Detroit Beer Company are all fine.

Up Michigan, Nemos, O'blivions, Gaelic League ... all good choices.

I suggest you pick a different place for each quarter. You could easily park at Cheli's for the first quarter, walk to The Elwood for the 2nd, Detroit Beer Co for the 3rd and finish up at Hockeytown. Still within stumbling distance of your car.

+1 for the Detroit Beer Company. They have been having a great time during the lead up. I was at the Brew Club party during one of the games and both levels were rocking.

gnome,

college basketball is played in 20 minute halves. Not quarters like the NBA.

Thank you for that correction El Jimbo, need all the help I can get. Oh, yeah, remember to wear your gas mask while rockin out at Cedar Village. Here is your official MSU Riot status

https://www.msu.edu/~creswel1/riotstatus/

'cmon jimbo...I know you're better than that!

As for suggestions...I'll go with Pappy's any day of the week when it comes to sports downtown.

Lucky's is the best place to watch a televised sporting event. Hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I suggest you pick a different place for each quarter. You could easily park at Cheli's for the first quarter, walk to The Elwood for the 2nd, Detroit Beer Co for the 3rd and finish up at Hockeytown. Still within stumbling distance of your car.
    There are only two halves in NCAA basketball.

Thank you for that correction Izzy.

p1acebo, where ever you end up, could you please report back with a detailed replay of the night's events including your guests' impressions of our fair city.

Thank you for that correction Izzy.

p1acebo, where ever you end up, could you please report back with a detailed replay of the night's events including your guests' impressions of our fair city.
    Haha sounds good gnome, will do. And for the record this WAS NOT an April fools joke. I actually went to the final four last year in Detroit and had a blast... we bar hopped a lot which was good [[until my friends wanted to go to the Ol Shillelagh and wait forever for a beer). It is too bad we lost in the championship though, although it would have been hard against UNC that year. Anyways I can't make the trip down to Indy this weekend so I am going to head back down to downtown with my friends, I will let you know where we go. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

p-bo, it is always tough making suggestions for unknown groups of people. If you're 60 or 20 the range of places are quite different.

For the single most unique experience for anyone is Tom's Tavern on 7 mile just west of Wyoming. It is a shack. To call it ramshackle is to offend rams. It leans sideways and back with swaybacked ridge line and a strange connoctions of sidings. Plywood, ashalt shingles, tossed off this and that.

Inside the place runs downhill to such a degree that the chairs have their legs cut to various lengths to accomodate the slope. But the beer is cold, the food is great and the customers sometimes serve as bartender. Lawyers and actors, bums and millionares, preachers and sport stars all frequent Tom's.

If you've never been it is worth the experience. Your friends will never forget it. Regardless of their ages.

p-bo, it is always tough making suggestions for unknown groups of people. If you're 60 or 20 the range of places are quite different.

For the single most unique experience for anyone is Tom's Tavern on 7 mile just west of Wyoming. It is a shack. To call it ramshackle is to offend rams. It leans sideways and back with swaybacked ridge line and a strange connoctions of sidings. Plywood, ashalt shingles, tossed off this and that.

Inside the place runs downhill to such a degree that the chairs have their legs cut to various lengths to accomodate the slope. But the beer is cold, the food is great and the customers sometimes serve as bartender. Lawyers and actors, bums and millionares, preachers and sport stars all frequent Tom's.

If you've never been it is worth the experience. Your friends will never forget it. Regardless of their ages.
    Thanks for all the suggestions, we actually grabbed a few beers at hockeytown because he really wanted to. We also got some coneys at american coney island, it was a good time. I showed him around a bit down town but we didn't have enough time to check out other bars before the game. Maybe next time.