Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sterling Heights woman tries to run down cops

http://www.hamtramckreview.com/2010/...-over-officer/

http://www.candgnews.com/Homepage-Ar...ot-crashes.asp

Who was this person? Nobody has released a name to my knowledge. Why was a 53-year-old Sterling Heights woman on an apparent rampage last week? Am I right in guessing that this would be all over the news if she were from Detroit doing this stuff out in the burbs? Yikes!

lilpup Guest

Am I right in guessing that this would be all over the news if she were from Detroit doing this stuff out in the burbs?

No.

Retroit Guest

Am I right in guessing that if this woman was from Detroit there would be allegations of police brutality?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Am I right in guessing that this would be all over the news if she were from Detroit doing this stuff out in the burbs?
    Or better yet, instead of saying it was a Sterling Heights woman running down a such & such, they'll do their usual spin and say "a Metro Detroit woman tried to run down a law enforcer at such ans such intersection..." so when/if the national media ever picks it up they'll think it was all in Detroit proper.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-30-10 at 03:51 PM.

COOL! Wish I could have witnessed the incident...

DC48080 Guest

Come on everybody, let's put the "Defend Detroit against all enemies and negative publicity either real or perceived" hyper-sensitivity on the back burner for a moment.

The real story here, the real sad part of this is that several police officers were damn near seriously injured or killed while trying to defend society from a criminal. Isn't that more important than where the criminal lived or where the offense occurred? Wrong is just as wrong no matter if it is in Detroit or any place else.
    Last edited by DC48080; March-30-10 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Am I right in guessing that this would be all over the news if she were from Detroit doing this stuff out in the burbs? Yikes!
    Yup. Complete with all the usual comments in the Detroit News comment section about "uncivilized animals," "baboons" etc.

Oh, and the inevitable complaint about Coleman Young, despite the fact tat he's been dead for more than decade.

Wow, you are all a bunch of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    The real story here, the real sad part of this is that several police officers were damn near seriously injured or killed while trying to defend society from a criminal. Isn't that more important than where the criminal lived or where the offense occurred? Wrong is just as wrong no matter if it is in Detroit or any place else.
    I agree with that 100%. But that's just the point, our local media, and particularly those who comment on it incessantly, don't see it that way. Around here some people are "animals" and "savages" when they get themselves in trouble, while others who do the same thing are just folks who did something they shouldn't have and got themselves in an unfortunate situation.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I agree with that 100%. But that's just the point, our local media, and particularly those who comment on it incessantly, don't see it that way. Around here some people are "animals" and "savages" when they get themselves in trouble, while others who do the same thing are just folks who did something they shouldn't have and got themselves in an unfortunate situation.
    I read at least two newspapers per day and watch a lot of TV news. I have never seen a professional media person refer to Detroit residents as savages, animals or anything of the sort. Those who use those terms are ignorant and not members of the media. And believe me there is plenty of ignorance inside Detroit as well as outside.

People are getting angry and lashing out.. The Michigan group plotting to kill law enforcement official en mass, the widespread threats to politicians recently, the biker situation in California, this could be a crazy summer. People are being pushed into a corner and feel helpless, bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    People are getting angry and lashing out.. The Michigan group plotting to kill law enforcement official en mass, the widespread threats to politicians recently, the biker situation in California, this could be a crazy summer. People are being pushed into a corner and feel helpless, bad situation.

Oh stop with the hysteria. Every spring someone has to put on here 'watch out for this summer'. I bet you gave Dunham's gun section some business over the past year too?

People have been plotting against the government for ages. In fact if it wasn't for those people plotting all the time and doing no good we wouldn't have law enforcement in the first place. Plus, I am glad I live in a country that has law enforcement that can stop these things from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Or even beyond the name-calling and hardly concealed bigotry, there the nightly TV newscast, where "if it bleeds, it leads." You know, all those segments about people who have run-ins with the law? Perhaps these segments are so often about Detroiters because the people they're covering can't get adequate legal counsel. Perhaps it's because the people they're covering have their names released by police. But they're juicy, extended looks at people who are, all to often, poor, black Detroiters.

But this woman may have a better lawyer. She certainly hasn't had her name released by police. This is one of the weirdest stories ever [[including the allegation that her little dog escaped from her getaway car and scampered away on the service drive!) and we have no name no face. It's curious to me.

For the record, this post says none of these things:

1) Detroiters never commit crimes.
    2) Suburbanites are all criminals.
    3) Detroiters should be forgiven for any and all crimes they commit because it's all the suburbanites' fault.
    4) The problem in Detroit is one of perception, not of actual problems.
    etc. etc. ad absurdum