Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    9mile&seneca Guest

Sorry, I forgot filthy kitchens, lousy service, and wait staff with 3 inch nails handling your food.

Well, I stopped here while I was out and about today and I have to say it was very, very tasty [[and I thought reasonably priced for the penny-pinching contingent on here).

I had breakfast, the plain old pan [[? I think it was called). It consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, crisp hash browns and toasted Avalon bread - very, very good and they get extra points from me for not piling enough food on my plate to feed an NFL linebacker. Most places give you WAY too much food - Mae's is just right.

I also didn't have any problems finding it and was able to park right on the side street.

Staff was very nice without being annoying or condescending; this place is going in my restaurant rotation for sure.

Ravine Guest

We were there yesterday. I liked it quite a bit, and got more than enough to eat.
    Biscuits with Sausage Gravy: Terrific; home-made biscuits, I'm assuming, but all I really need to know is whether or not I liked them, which I did.
    The Parmesan-Crusted Grits: Nice idea, and tasty, but I think I prefer grits as just grits. A crust on top doesn't work for me. But that's what I ordered, and they did a good job with them.
    Roq ordered latkes. They were great; next time, latkes for Ravine.
    Service: No complaints. Waiter was quite efficient. Owner came to check on us.
    Decor was cool. Loved it.
    Walked right in, found a table, waiter attended to us ASAP.
    No overwhelming swarm of hipsters, but frankly, if there had been such a swarm, I wouldn't have cared, as we were there to enjoy the meals and the place, not to people-watch or to feign some over-dramatized ambient trauma based on the presence of folks who were neither sharing our table nor eating from our plates.
    Oh, and the apple-cinnamon glop they gave Roq for the latkes was positively bitchin.'

Sausage and gravy!? Latkes? Do they have defibulators table-side?

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Sausage and gravy!? Latkes? Do they have defibulators table-side?
    Har!! I guess that's a good point. I hadn't thought about that.
    Still, given my generally emaciated condition and frantic metabolism, I probably ignited & burned up all of that stuff before it could deliver too many fatty deposits into my arteries.

They had a mention on "Dining in the D" on PBS. One sandwich they had was chicken strips rolled in crushed Captain Crunch, fried, and drenched in Red Hot sauce, with hot pepper cheese on grilled French bread. That's something you won't get at your local McDonald's. Yum.

^^^
    That sounds very tasty. Might have to try that at home.

Stromberg2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3