Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Movies at the DFT [[behind the DIA)

It has been too long since I've visited the DFT. They always have something interesting playing, and Elliot Wilhelm is the sort of guy who can talk about movies [[and keep the conversation interesting) for hours.

Sadly, the DIA is low on funds these days, because donations are down with the sagging economy. I think I owe it to myself and to the theater to stop by and show the place some love.

In fact, I wish I'd seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcQ22qpXpFA

you can see the schedule of upcoming movies for the DFT here:
    http://www.dia.org/detroitfilmtheatr...-schedule.aspx

It's a real gem. I especially like the fact that Wilhelm doesn't let himself be overly guided by what's hot in New York or L.A. -- he books what he likes. He's done a series of European thrillers over the last couple of years, for example, and they've been good without exception. There was one called "Lorna's Silence" about a young Albanian woman in Belgian who gets mixed up with immigration rings. I paid for the whole seat, but I only used the edge.

I started going to DFT around 1980. I have consitently seen the best movies there. It's a wonderful place and Wilhelm does a superb job. It is one of the local institutions that really stands out for Detroit nationally.

I second that emotion about the DFT. I have attended it regularly over the years and most of the films of my 'best ever' list have been seen there.

For those in the dating world I can't think of a better or more sophisticated place to impress your date especially by mixing in dining/snacking at the elegant Chrystal Cafe. It is in an gorgeous vaulted room behind the balcony and serves a fabulous quiche and soup along with wine, good beers, hot beverages and great pastries.

As an example of its quality, just this Saturday I viewed the Red Riding trilogy, an outstanding set of three films by three different directors that surround the same set of events, the Yorkshire ripper cases, and employ the same actors in the same roles. It started at 7 and finished at 12:30 including intermissions [Chrystal Cafe for coffee and snacks to the rescue!] One did have the option to selectively watch them at different times over the two weekends but I prefer doing these in run. You do this nowhere else -- or likewise seeing John Woo's uncut 5 hour Chinese epic 'Red Cliff'.

Side note, the West Yorkshire [England] set locations connected visually with me through its physical and social similarities to parts of the old industrial areas of Detroit albeit more rural -- broken and abandoned buildings, closed coal mines, bleak lives, political impotence and corruption.

Coming up this weekend is 'Vincere' a 2009 film by famed Italian director Marco Belloccchio, set in Mussolini's Italy, and a restored print of Akira Kurosawa's 'Rashomon', the 1950 film that is almost universally cited as one of the best films ever.

Love the DFT and try and get down there as often as I can. I also try and plan group outings and try and get newbies down there. DFT is really a jewel in the city.

I will be at Rashomon for sure. A few years ago they did a Monday night series of all Kurosawa movies. I think I missed only 1 in the series.

The 1,200 seat DIA Film Theatre was designed not by Paul Phillip Cret [[designer of the DIA)... but by Detroit's own movie palace architect... C. Howard Crane. Albert Kahn, who was on the DIA's planning board suggested Crane's involvement to Cret... an architect not familiar with theatre design.

High browed DIA patrons were dismayed that Crane used Scagliola [[plaster made to look like marble), rather than real marble in much of the theatre's classical interior.

LodgeDodger Guest

betterhalf and I went on a date at the DFT. We also spent a lot of time at the DIA. You can tell a lot about a person by their art likes and dislikes. Any guy who was willing to schlep around the DIA and go to see a non-commercial movie was okay in my book.

And yes, the theater is lovely [[but I only had eyes for my Sweetie).

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Side note, the West Yorkshire [England] set locations connected visually with me through its physical and social similarities to parts of the old industrial areas of Detroit albeit more rural -- broken and abandoned buildings, closed coal mines, bleak lives, political impotence and corruption.
    I've often thought the English north country bears some striking and horrifying similarities to the American "rust belt." It's oddly appropriate how folks from that part of England have also embraced what they call "northern soul," as well as Detroit garage rock.

There's a great movie about the rise and fall of Liverpool, called "Of Time and the City." The narration consists of poetry, and silence lasting for minutes over the film footage. I definitely recommend this to anyone who has ever loved Detroit. It will make you cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6BAoo8hmlU

Quote Originally Posted by humanmachinery View Post
    I've often thought the English north country bears some striking and horrifying similarities to the American "rust belt."
    Techno music caught on early and strong in those cities as well.

I received an education in film history via the Detroit Film Theatre's Afternoon Film series in the early 80s. It was organized and presented by Larry Baranski, film curator at the DIA/DFT. Each series of film shown during it's run featured either a director, actor, film genre, theme or country of origin. In this way, I learned about and viewed the films of French poetic realism, films of Rene Clair and Ernst Lubitsch, the history of animation, the films of Japan, films about knights. It demonstrates the possibilities of the DFT when it has adequate funding.

Does anyone know how the finances of the DFT specifically are doing? It draws pretty good crowds, and it has a largely volunteer staff -- must be fairly close to self-supporting.

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    Techno music caught on early and strong in those cities as well.
    Also the "Northern Soul" movement starting the seventies with its complete attraction to and adoration of Detroit Soul music. http://soulfuldetroit.com/web02-northern/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    Does anyone know how the finances of the DFT specifically are doing? It draws pretty good crowds, and it has a largely volunteer staff -- must be fairly close to self-supporting.
    Not that great. http://www.freep.com/article/2010032...315/1035/RSS04