Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LodgeDodger Guest

Default Attention Media: We don't care what Sharon McPhail has to say!

This week WDET interviewed Sharon McPhail after Mayor Bing's State of the City speech. This morning, Sharon McPhail was a member of the panel on FlashPoint. The discussion centered around Mayor Bing's speech.

Sharon McPhail has zero credibility in this city. Get a clue--NO ONE cares what this woman has to say!

Buy American Guest

Why would anyone be interested in what this loser has to say? She is part of the problem in Detroit and it's a little late for her to try to crawl her way back into Detroit politics.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Attention Media: We don't care what Sharon McPhail has to say!
    soundly seconded

I thought she had left town - wasn't she going East to where her husband is?

DC48080 Guest

That whack job should move to Texas and hang out with her old buddy Kwame.

Ravine Guest

I enthusiastically endorse LD's statement.
    I had the same reaction, watching Flashpoint.
    I recognize that KK still retains a sizable support group, in these parts, but I do not believe that anyone gives a shit about Sharon McPhail or her "take" on anything.

McFAIL....

She's a political vampire won't be stopped unless someone has a stake, garlic or silver bullet to stop her. The media is lazy and just grabs her because she's available.

I can't believe Devin dragged her up from the political grave. That shows me how what a deep thinker he is. Jez!

I bet she is getting in line to join the Bing team or become a part of Pugh administration-as he calls it.

Got to keep her name out there, need to have that recognition thing going so when she does decide to run again for anything
    the sheep will remember her.

One may not approve of her or flat out dislike her, however she knows a lot about the City of Detroit governmental workings, personalities, and issues -- from the inside. As Ravine mentions, she is also representative of a very large constituency of opinion albeit a minority and declining one.

So being a panel member for such a topic makes sense. C'mon her credentials aren't chopped liver. From wiki...
    Sharon McPhail was the general counsel for the City of Detroit. McPhail served on the Detroit City Council from 2002 until 2006. McPhail was a candidate for mayor in the 1993 and 2005 Detroit elections. She was formerly a lawyer in private practice, a division chief in the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office, and an Assistant United States Attorney.

She placed third in the primary election on August 2, coming in behind Freman Hendrix and incumbent Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and eliminating her from the general election on November 8.

McPhail holds a Juris Doctor [[J.D.) degree from Northeastern University School of Law in Boston and a bachelor's degree in sociology and English from Northeastern University. She was admitted to the Michigan Bar in 1976.

She served as staff counsel for Ford Motor Company and later as a partner with the law firm Feikens, Stevens, Hurley & P.C., before going into private practice. She has served as President of the local Wolverine Bar Association, President of the National Bar Association, on the Detroit Board of Police Commissioners, and Vice President of the Detroit Branch of the NAACP.

She was born and raised in Cambridge, Massachusetts. In 1993, McPhail finished second in a primary election for Mayor of the City of Detroit, in field of 23 candidates. She lost the general election to Dennis Archer by 56 percent to 43 percent. She is the first female attorney to be elected ton Detroit's City Council.

McPhail was general counsel for a coalition dedicated to recapturing the right to vote for School Board in the City of Detroit.

Awards

McPhail was named one of Ebony Magazine's 100 Most Influential Black Americans and has received the March of Dimes Humanitarian of the Year award, and the National Sojourner Truth Meritorious Service Award from the National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Inc.

Last I heard she was working for Matty Moroun. I for one really don't trust her for a minute. After the Kwame Krap and her trying to defend him on the secret agreement and the filings she sent to the state in regards to the Governors hearing, I think she is a loon. JMO And why can't these people just go away.

LodgeDodger Guest

McPhail, and her crew, represent all that is wrong with this city. Anything out of her mouth is considered, to me, bullshit.

There is nothing she could say that I would consider important. Only exception would be to hear she's leaving the D and doesn't plan to return.

You know, Dick Cheney has a long list of accomplishments but he's still a scumbag. McPhail really showed her true colors throughout the Kwame affair. I had a low opinion of her before but that period of time really sealed what a creep she is.

Lowell, All that means is that she's gamed the system. Sharon McPhail is a lying opportunist and I trust her as far as I can spit.

ZZAP.My chair is tingling.Oh Kwame,stop it.Ok,I'll work for you now.How soon the sheep forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    I can't believe Devin dragged her up from the political grave. That shows me how what a deep thinker he is. Jez!
    Maybe that's the exact reason Devin Scillian brought her onboard. She's obviously going to be a focal point or at least be the immoral counterpoint to everyone else there. The fact that we're talking about her here and now says something about this woman.

I've never been a fan of hers either. I've always though she's an opportunistic politician that serves her own purposes as opposed to the citizens of this city.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    You know, Dick Cheney has a long list of accomplishments but he's still a scumbag.
    Post of the day.

She may know a lot about the City of Detroit governmental workings, prsonalities, and issues but so do a lot of other credible and relevent people.

gah! Um, no thanks. I hope Detroit has a female mayor one day, but I hope it is not her..

Although I personally don't have strong feelings one way or the other for McPhail, this to me represents what a total piece of sh*t WDET has devolved into.

But it's nice not to send them money any longer, it leaves a few $$$ in my checking account that would have formerly gone to WDET.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    She may know a lot about the City of Detroit governmental workings, prsonalities, and issues but so do a lot of other credible and relevent people.
    I agree with you 100%. This woman was an embarrassment to Detroit--especially when defending KK during the text message scandal.

Lowell, her Wiki-Resume may show an extensive background and some level of competence, but her actions are anything but! Detroit is trying to recover from the Kwame and Company mess. Anyone associated with that mess has nothing credible to add.

Well, maybe it is just me, but I like listening to voices I don't agree with or even whose positions I despise as long as they are informed and capable of structured thought. If they start screaming, lapse into name-calling, become disruptive and incoherent, I switch them off, no matter how much I may agree with their past or present positions.

As for WDET, I will be donating in the upcoming fund drive as I always do. I can find a bunch of reasons for not but I can list far, far more reasons for doing so.

WDET tries to be fair. Just because they have someone on you disagree with is no reason to punish them.
    I also understand they need to do that if they want to keep their license. All views have to be presented or they have to hear from the FCC.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Well, maybe it is just me, but I like listening to voices I don't agree with or even whose positions I despise as long as they are informed and capable of structured thought. If they start screaming, lapse into name-calling, become disruptive and incoherent, I switch them off, no matter how much I may agree with their past or present positions.

As for WDET, I will be donating in the upcoming fund drive as I always do. I can find a bunch of reasons for not but I can list far, far more reasons for doing so.
    I think you're missing the point. Listening to discussion made by those who are credible? You bet--sign me up. Listening to a panel debating an issue can be a valuable learning experience.

Listening to someone who is no longer in office, a person who seems to lose most of her political campaigns, a person who supported a political figure who made a mockery of the Mayor's office? No way. Interview someone with an opposing view who doesn't have such a reputation.

I would like to add [[I'm editing my original comment) that having someone like McPhail on a panel continues to keep the city mired in the muck.
    Last edited by LodgeDodger; March-29-10 at 11:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast