Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    CFABDETROIT Guest

Okay somehow I offended some of the fellow forum members when I said "if everyone knows what right Detroit would not be in the mess that it is in."
    I'm not talking about everyone in Detroit. I'm talking about the people in the mayor's office over several administrations let this happen, the people who commit crime and the people who just don't care about the city in which they live.

CFABDETROIT,

Please take the advice that others have given you to join an already established program, perhaps even finding a mentor in one of those programs, so you can get some experience working with the community, business leaders and political leaders under your belt. You will accomplish nothing without this. At least investigate what has been done before and make sure you understand what worked and what didn't and in each case, "Why?"

You especially need a good mentor. That person would have told you not to publish anything with the [[absolutely horrendous) spelling and grammatical errors that your site has. And, if you think that criticism is only cosmetic, the mentor would have also told you to make sure your facts were correct. Your mentor would also likely have told you to be careful about thinking that your ideas are so new and unique that no one else ever thought those things before. Your mentor might also tell you to avoid indicting others that you believe failed in the past, and let your ideas stand or fall on their own merit.

Someone already suggested you start with one idea and then grow from there. [[By the way - your one block at a time idea - do you realize the City has over 20,000 blocks?) We can't take 20,000 months or weeks or even days to clean up Detroit. However, there have been several initiatives that broke the City up by districts, one even by square miles, and assigned groups to work on issues within those districts. The concept is nothing new. Find out what worked and what didn't before proposing something "new". People like to know that you have done some homework before you start telling them you have a plan that will work where no one else's plan would.

Maybe your site can be changed to report what positive things you have accomplished working with other groups and soliciting volunteers to help those groups as well. Then, when you really know what you are doing, you can branch out on your own and start your own coalition[[s). For me, this is not an issue of how old you are, but how prepared you are.

CFABDETROIT Guest

Okay I’ve taken the constructive criticism and updated my site and the plan. But for those of you who try and will try to discourage Me You are wasting your time.
    I ignore the ignorant and learn from the wise. And you can quote me on that!

Quote Originally Posted by CFABDETROIT View Post
    I ignore the ignorant and learn from the wise.
    Perhaps there is something of value in learning from both.

And the temperature continues to rise . . .

CFABDETROIT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    And the temperature continues to rise . . .
    How is that?

"The CFABD will have different units.
    Housing- 1. Takes care of seeing that abandoned houses gets either demolished or made back into a livable home. 2. Sees over the new building projects. 3. Makes sure Detroit homes that are being lived in are suitable for people [[if not we fix them)and go after the owner [[if house is a rental) 4. Seeing that Detroit's historic houses are restored"

CFABD has no right to be doing any of these things. You can advocate that abandoned homes get demolished, but really it's just not that simple. How do you define abandoned? Is that merely an empty house? Or do you mean abandoned homes that are stripped and severly blighted? What conditions are there are sturcutral stability. A shell can be perfect structurally but look very blighted does that warrent demolition?

What do you mean by sees over new building projects?

You don't have the right to check the suitiblity or safety of anyones home. You can once again advocate safe housing, and petition Detroits safety and engeneering department to check on structures but that is about it. You can try to help those whose homes need repair. But both of these things cost large amounts of money. So there needs to be a sustainable investment plan. Also the know how of volunteers and staff is critical. Mistakes can be easily made by those not trained in architecture, building, and construction. There is also the shear number of codes for building that the novice will just not know.

Go back and once again look at what others are doing. And find tasks that you can show success and progress with, and slowly build up to more lofty goals.

CFABDETROIT Guest

Again, this is a new thing... Just starting out. We will be getting people in these fields.

For Christ sakes, give this kid some credit and get off his ass. Next...

Okay I'll pass. I was merely doing what you asked me. To give feedback on your ideas. I am using my own experience to try and make yours better, but evidently you don't want that. You want a pat on the back and a great job for being a motivated young person. Well guess what you aren't the only one. I am no older than you we are the same age, and I too am trying to make a difference in Detroit, but I am not treating other people like crap and trying to do way more than I could ever do. I gave you the benefit of the doubt with my first post, but I am done. If I may make one last suggestion actually go back and read my posts and get your plan together and then come back. I am not going to humor this crap anymore because its obvious you don't want a real critique of your ideas. So please grow up and act like a 21 year old.

Saving Detroit starts with Bankruptcy, a city manager and the dismissal of the city council [[yikes, time to find a real job).

How is that?
    You claim you want constructive criticism and helpful comments and information, but you bark at anyone and everyone who gives it.

DetroitDad Guest

Smart people imitate before they innovate. I'm confused why you don't just volunteer for one of the existing organisations and try to make them that much better by having you. Your disposition by not being a leader while you work for someone else will help make you a great leader one day.

or better yet...

You could head down to Orchid Thai and think over a few fortune cookies.

CFABDETROIT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    You claim you want constructive criticism and helpful comments and information, but you bark at anyone and everyone who gives it.
    I'm not barking at people for giving me good constructive criticism, I'm barking at people who try to down me by calling names and think they know me.
    And I do plan on doing my own volunteer work this summer and never said I would not, I'm hyped up to do it actually.

And I do plan on doing my own volunteer work...I'm hyped up to do it actually.
    Good come join me tomorrow on Belle Ilse to give it a quick clean up.

CFABDETROIT Guest

I'd love to but I have work tomorrow, not making excuses but I have bills like everyone else. Thats why I'm doing it this summer.

Stosh Guest

I'd love to but I have work tomorrow, not making excuses but I have bills like everyone else. Thats why I'm doing it this summer.
    A summer project. How quaint.

The above people are spot on in their observations, CFAB. Join an existing group that matches the ideas that you have, then suggest they do some of them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3