Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bob Seger

Default Bob Seger

On Dick Purtans last radio broadcast today Bob Seger said he was planning a new fall tour and will play Detroit. It better be COBO Hall. The Opera House would be great to. Any memories of Bob in Detroit?
    www.bobseger.com
    Last edited by tarkus; March-26-10 at 03:47 PM.

Bob Seger's "Main Street" will forever be associated to me by the expressive stylings of the exotic pole dancing set in various locations around the Motor City

My first concert was when he was at Cobo and made the live bullet album. It was awesome. Of course the party favors in those years made it even better.

the exotic pole dancing set in various locations around the Motor City

Well, he used to hang out at Siloz at 8 & Lahser.
    Last edited by Meddle; March-26-10 at 05:28 PM.

Bob Seger = ...please stop ... just please stop ...

^^^^ Why? He may be one of the best to ever come out of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^^^ Why? He may be one of the best to ever come out of Detroit.
    Bob's voice may not be up to doing justice to his music.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Well, he used to hang out at Siloz at 8 & Lahser.
    the song is actually about a dancer from topless bar in Ann Arbor, and it was located on State Street, but "down on State Street" just didn't have the same ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    That didn't stop Gordon Lightfoot
    http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/k..._but_stil.html

http://blog.al.com/mcolurso/2008/02/..._out_of_2.html

November 1974 at Cobo Arena...Seger and his band open for Bachman Turner Overdrive.

didnt he go on a retirement tour in 87 or 88?

he used to hang out at Gar's Bar in Marine City when he was visiting his grandmother who lived around the corner, my ex's brother used to hang out with him...

Early 70's in the gymnasium at Aquinas High School in Southgate. Alice Cooper also played there in the same time frame.

I first saw him at the Hideout in Harper Woods in 1966. I can't remember what the band was caleed then. It was before Bob Seger and the Last Heard. They played with the MC5.

Bob Seger at the Michigan Palace... April 19 and 20, 1975...

His pre-Beautiful Loser stuff was some of the best music to come out of Detroit - Smokin' OPs, Mongrel, Ramblin' Gamblin' Man, Back in '72. Singles like Lucifer, 2 + 2 = ?, Too Many People Lookin' Back... Here's a cool tribute to CKLW's Rosalie Trombley set to Seger's song about her...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeAK53Ejrbw

Wish I could find a clear copy of 'Heavy Music' to pound out of my car speakers. Last time I was browsing to upload songs into my iPod for just that purpose, there was no really-vintage Seger available.

Two other early Seger favorites are 'Persecution Smith' and 'Noah,' neither of which I could find online, either.

I just checked iTunes for "East Side Story" and "Heavy Music"; both were on a Cameo-Parkway boxed set from a few years ago. iTunes has the boxed set, but in an INCOMPLETE version missing the two Seger tunes [[among others).. Personally I think "East Side Story" is the best record he ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPxwWnJD_Uo

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post

I saw him at The Palace about 15 years ago, and way back then it was obvious he'd slipped considerably. He just wasn't "Bob Seger." He couldn't hit any of the high notes, and his voice just wasn't there.

It was sad because for my money, Seger in his prime had one of the greatest voices in the history of recorded music.

Quote Originally Posted by d'oh View Post
    I just checked iTunes for "East Side Story" and "Heavy Music"; both were on a Cameo-Parkway boxed set from a few years ago. iTunes has the boxed set, but in an INCOMPLETE version missing the two Seger tunes [[among others).. Personally I think "East Side Story" is the best record he ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPxwWnJD_Uo
    D'oh:
    I agree with you on "East Side Story". "Ivory" and "Innervenus Eyes" are two other early Seger gems that deserve mention on this thread.

I think it was in the '' Back In '72 '' time when massive groups of people went to what was billed as '' Kite-in '' at Belle Isle I remember going to 2 of them , early spring when people would get out and go to Belle Isle and fly kites . People would bring picnic stuff , beer , wine , and other goodies . One year Bob Seger gave a short but free concert at the Kite-in and I remember him doing Back In '72

How many of you remember WABX ? lol Here's an article that refers to the '' Kite-ins'' [[about half way down by the photo)

http://home.att.net/~s.m.geer/wabx.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    How many of you remember WABX ? lol Here's an article that refers to the '' Kite-ins'' [[about half way down by the photo)

http://home.att.net/~s.m.geer/wabx.htm
    I was at the one where they closed the Island. What a great time that was.

WABX [[whaa-bax), WRIF [[riff), W-whatever it was, [[Wheelz), WWWW [[dubya-4), loved them all.

Liven here in the Deep South I've lost touch, but damn he go grey! Still the best voice in R&R ever. This man rocks!!

How about at Silverbell..".East side story".......The album "smokin O.P.s'" best version of "if I were a carpenter" by anyone.
    Last edited by highhat; March-28-10 at 04:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast