Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Detroit's motto

Default Detroit's motto

Is it speramus meliora [[indicative: "we hope for better things")

Or sperimus meliora [[hortatory subjunctive: "let us hope for better things")?

I've seen it written both ways. CAYMC has the first version; one of the plaques on a Belle Isle footbridge has the second. Old seals seem to have the first version.

Either would be correct in Latin, but I guess the question is: which is more in line with the attitude of people here? And was the Belle Isle version the product of a person's learning the phrase in Latin, remembering it in English, and then working his way back to Latin?
    Last edited by Huggybear; March-24-10 at 11:00 PM.

I'd go with A and not I. The flag and city seal both have the A version, plus it sounds more optimistic.

Among his many talents, fellow forumer, Danny is a Latin scholar and expert in the Motto. Once he gets a chance, I'm sure he'll chime in and give you more info than you need.

Retroit Guest

It sounds like a disease a man might get.

Nothing Detroit Hope Hospital physicians can't cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    It sounds like a disease a man might get.
    Lol. But could you imagine if this was a disease and getting diagnosed with the first one, a life-threatening 6-month-to-live type deal, but then it really turns out to be the second one, a non-life threatening, just take these pills and you're all better deal? Just because of one vowel!

I think it's just beautiful. I love words and language, and the imagery suited the historical moment in which it was written. Thanks, Father Richard.

I also love the way that Dudley Randall remixed it almost 200 years later: "Cities have died, have burned/Yet phoenix-like, returned."

"hortatory subjunctive"

I just had a flash on why I flunked HS Latin. And probably never fared very well in English, either..........

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    "hortatory subjunctive"
    Is that what police call a man who stops his car to talk to a woman standing on the corner in a mini-skirt?

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Lol. But could you imagine if this was a disease and getting diagnosed with the first one, a life-threatening 6-month-to-live type deal, but then it really turns out to be the second one, a non-life threatening, just take these pills and you're all better deal? Just because of one vowel!
    It's better than having the wrong leg amputated.

...I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    It's better than having the wrong leg amputated.

...I think.
    You can't sue for that. You haven't a leg to stand on.

Officially isn't the motto Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    'we hope for better, it rises from ashes'.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Officially isn't the motto Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    'we hope for better, it rises from ashes'.
    Reflected in the city flag: