Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Monica Conyers needs to be thrown off City Counsel

She behaves as a mentally ill woman and it surely isn't an act. The crazy woman had the gaul to allow channel 2 into her home for a tour and the place was junky as all get out. I feel sorry for her husband.

I don't know if this has ever been done before and I don't know if the charter even addresses it but the council could submit that she is unfit for office [[president of council) and demand that she has a psychiatric exam before she can come back and have Watson take over until that is resolved.

It is OK to feel sorry for her husband. But just don't do it because of her being a sloppy housekeeper and him having to live that way. He has never and will never live with her.

And please, no moves to topple her. She is the best thing to happen around here in a long time. KK operated with cunning and secrecy. This one operates above the table and for everyone to see. And as I keep saying, entertainment like this for free, is priceless!

And now that she beat KC Jr. down in the court of public opinion as well as the court of law, watching her take charge of the Cobo expansion, renovation and financing should be one of her best acts yet.

We love you MC!

I feel sorry for her husband for even having to be associated with such a lunatic by name association only. Nextly Monica is a bad representation for the City of Detroit voters. People may think she is flat out with a lot of things she do, but there is a time and place for all behavior/actions and she should keep her behind the doors of her home. She is a disgrace to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by carman View Post
    And as I keep saying, entertainment like this for free, is priceless!...
    I enjoy free entertainment as much as the next guy but the area is in crisis mode now. We need leaders not a ghetto comedy show.

I understand and respect your thought process on this one. However, people much smarter than I [[Hendrix, Gaddis, Riddle etc..) felt it better to leave the fate of the City in the hands of MC and her band of "brave women". So with that, I will trust them and sit back and enjoy the show.

Can't you just picture the contractors lined up at her office to get some of the action? Envelopes full of new, crisp 50's will be the order of the day. And how about MR making some decisions on how the Cobo deal should work...wow, even I smiled at that one.

I understand and respect your thought process on this one. However, people much smarter than I [[Hendrix, Gaddis, Riddle etc..) felt it better to leave the fate of the City in the hands of MC and her band of "brave women". So with that, I will trust them and sit back and enjoy the show.

Can't you just picture the contractors lined up at her office to get some of the action? Envelopes full of new, crisp 50's will be the order of the day. And how about MR making some decisions on how the Cobo deal should work...wow, even I smiled at that one.
    And how is this good for the city?

Ravine Guest

C'mon, now; enough with the "feeling sorry for" Mr. Conyers. He is not some rain-forest tribesman who got the bad end of an arranged marriage.

Not sure how it is good for the city, jcole. But as I said, smarter people than I felt this a good move and a preferred tack for the city to take. Far be it from me to question their stance.
    I am still trying to picture the strategy session amongst the leadership on how to move forward. Will BRC break into song, will MR take a break and "go for a ride".......

Not sure how it is good for the city, jcole. But as I said, smarter people than I felt this a good move and a preferred tack for the city to take. Far be it from me to question their stance.
    I am still trying to picture the strategy session amongst the leadership on how to move forward. Will BRC break into song, will MR take a break and "go for a ride".......
    Why would you feel these people are smarter than you? I certainly wouldn't assume that.

Ravine Guest

I know this comment could get me in lots of trouble, but that's OK, because I'm about to sign off and go to Wal-Mart to buy some coffee whose production & packaging almost certainly involved the exploitation of hordes of third-worlders.
    The really difficult, almost-painful question is:
    Given all of the factors involved... and honestly assessing the situation... Is, or is not, Monica Conyers actually an appropriate representative for many of the citizens of Detroit?
    Remember now, that is a question different from "Is Monica Conyers a charm school graduate?"
    Keep in mind that a lot of folks hated Coleman Young for the same reasons a lot of folks adored him.

City officials are not suppose to be your entertainment. Entertainment is found through music, sitcoms, movies, reality tv, night clubs, cars, etc.etc. Business is business and it doesn't consist of singing during meetings, calling colleagues names, taking personal jabs at colleagues or any of the vast ignorant actions of MC. Personally, I don't think anyone was paying attention when majority of city counsel was elected and/or only checked off names that sounded familiar, but hopefully with the next election voters won't be selecting counsel members for entertainment purposes at the expense of Detroit residence.

Personally Ravine, I think she is extremely representative of the citizens of Detroit. Now is that a good thing? That is still to be determined, but the citizenship shall make that determination.

That's one of the many reasons I moved to Oakland county.

Ravine Guest

Carman, it is apparent that you are tuned in to the precise intention of my question.
    I'm not trying to incite anything, or be a smart-ass, with that question. I think it is important. We must keep in mind that, even after a whole bunch of nasty shit came out, a great multitude of Detroiters wanted Kwame Kilpatrick to stay right where he was, as Their Mayor.
    But I must go & get that coffee.

Ravine, I don't know that answer just yet. I can answer you in Nov. Remember she got in on name recognition, we all know recalls rarely work and I believe in a narrow interpetation for reasons to recall politicans anyway. I truly believe in Nov the citizens will make the necessary corrections especially with the council.

I'd bet at least one-third and possibly as many as two-thirds of Detroiters feel Monica Conyers is sticking up for them against hostile suburban and out-state interests. What's more, she connects with them in the way she talks and acts to a degree that a Bing, KC or Hendrix never will. Sad but true. Now of course there's another swath of Detroiters who are a bit smarter but all you have to do is look at who gets elected year after year in Detroit to realize that there really aren't that many smart voters in the city. Barring a criminal indictment we get to enjoy Monica Conyers for a good number of years to come.

Angry Dad Guest

Can the new format of this board support polling?

If so, will Detroiters voice their opinion on whether they want Monica Conyers representing them on council, Yes or No.

CFABDETROIT Guest

I think most of the city council [[if not all of them) needs to be replaced.
    They act like they would not even be able to run a household let alone a city of 900.000

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dad View Post
    Can the new format of this board support polling?

If so, will Detroiters voice their opinion on whether they want Monica Conyers representing them on council, Yes or No.
    Yes, you can post a poll if you start a new thread. The next question is: Are there enough Detroit residents to make it a valid poll?

D: Your quote: "Barring a criminal indictment we get to enjoy Monica Conyers for a good number of years to come."

Probably, more than an indictment would be necessary. An indictment without a conviction would likely give her a boost. "Those white folk set her up!"
    And people across the country will shake their heads in disbelief.

diver1369 Guest

A revolution takes place every four years. It's called an election. It's when you can vote for or not for candidates for the office you want to effect change in. The next City Council election will be a primary election in August. The following November is when the election of City Council members will take place with the top nine candidates in the poll winning office. Until then, do the necessary research to judge the candidates by and pass the word on to your fellow citizens who vote.

I'm with Carman....just shows the mentality of those that elected her. People who even cared enough to vote obviously didn't care enough to do anything other than vote for the Conyers name. So sad. Without the right people on the Council, Detroit has no chance. So sad.

Lorax Guest

People get the government they deserve.

You vote them in, you can vote them out, it's called impeachment.

It is a mechanism of all democracies, and is encouraged by our constitution to be used to recall officals when they stop doing the people's business.

We got Bush for 8 years, just as Venezuela got Chavez. Some would argue we got the government we deserved. Since we didn't do anything for 8 years to impeach the Bush crime family, what makes anyone think Detroit will impeach Conyers/Reeves, et. al. ?

Voting for street rabble is so much easier for a dumbed down electorate to understand than the complicated truth is.
    Last edited by Lorax; April-20-09 at 06:28 PM.

People all over, not just in Detroit, vote on name recognition. Look how many actors/comedians have been elected to office in the U.S. If a Kennedy runs for something, do you think their name won't help them? This is human nature, not Detroit nature. I hear even "The Nanny" is planning on running for office now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast