Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Oh Matty!!! Ambassador Bridge owner sues officials

Lawsuit claims U.S., Canada are stalling efforts to build 2nd span over Detroit River

Mark Hicks / The Detroit News

Detroit -- The owner of the Ambassador Bridge has filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Coast Guard as well as Canadian and American government officials, saying they are stalling efforts to build a second span over the Detroit River.

According to the suit filed Monday in U.S. District Court by the Detroit International Bridge Co., owned by Manuel "Matty" Moroun, and the Canadian Transit Co., a proposed competing bridge plan, the Detroit River International Crossing, violates a long-standing law passed by U.S. and Canadian governments settling ownership and maintenance of the Ambassador Bridge.

That included "the right to construct a new span to replace an older span that requires substantial maintenance to extend its useful life," the suit read.

"We feel that the U.S. and Canadian governments are constrained from interfering with the operations of the Ambassador Bridge based on acts passed by Congress and the Canadian parliament," said Phil Frame, bridge company spokesman.

He has done this in the past and won.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    He has done this in the past and won.
    Correct Gnome. The Sherman Act may come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Correct Gnome. The Sherman Act may come into play.
    I think he has to cite the Sherman Act to use it. Here's a pdf of Moroun's application. If you type under find "Sherman", nothing comes up. But, it mentions their claim for a perpetual right with bridges relating to the Special Agreement between Canada and the US under the Boundary Waters Treaty of 1907.. http://www.windsorstar.com/pdf/US-Di...t-03-22-10.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    I think he has to cite the Sherman Act to use it. Here's a pdf of Moroun's application. If you type under find "Sherman", nothing comes up. But, it mentions their claim for a perpetual right with bridges relating to the Special Agreement between Canada and the US under the Boundary Waters Treaty of 1907.. http://www.windsorstar.com/pdf/US-Di...t-03-22-10.pdf
    I tried to find "Canada" in that document and nothing came up. It seems to be an image that hasn't been OCRd.

I didn't know it was possible to sue the U.S. Coast Guard !

also, why does a private individual own a international crossing in the first place ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the bridge always been owned by a private individual or company? It's just how it's always been I guess

gotta agree with the poster above....how does such an important thing end up controlled by a private individual? especially one as crooked as this guy...

when is there going to be a final showdown over the Train Station? Grrrr....

Bridge seeks $3.5B under NAFTA claim
    Canada violated pact, Moroun says

By Dave Battagello, The Windsor StarMarch 26, 2010

Ambassador Bridge owner Matty Moroun is seeking at least US$3.5 billion in damages from the government of Canada over its plans to build a downriver border crossing.

The move comes on the heels of a lawsuit the billionaire transportation mogul filed in U.S. District Court in Washington against the Canadian and U.S. governments claiming interference with his bid to build a twin span.

Moroun's latest claim says the Canadian government has violated the North American Free Trade Agreement with its plan to construct a $1.6-billion Windsor-Essex border parkway that links Highway 401 to the foot of proposed downriver government-backed bridge.
    The documents indicate Canada stands to be the greatest beneficiary under the Detroit River International Crossing plan.

The claim says the project will be underwritten by the Canadian government and likely other private Canadian business, which discriminate against American investors, largely Moroun and his bridge company.....

http://www.windsorstar.com/business/...491/story.html