Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Michigan Theatre

I was showing some pictures of the Theater Parking Garage to some friends tonight and noticed the projection booth is still intact.

It got me to thinking...

It would not be difficult to adaptively reuse the garage as an evening drive-in theater. What does DYES think??

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    I was showing some pictures of the Theater Parking Garage to some friends tonight and noticed the projection booth is still intact.

It got me to thinking...

It would not be difficult to adaptively reuse the garage as an evening drive-in theater. What does DYES think??
    Is it deep enough for a movie? What's the height of that ceiling up there?

Not sure but judging by the pictures, it looks like it might work. However a screen would have to be fabricated and installed.

you would also need to be able to get a screen resistant to the staining effects of exaust, or a way to store it....

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    you would also need to be able to get a screen resistant to the staining effects of exaust, or a way to store it....
    How many cars are we talking here on one level?

Major insurance liabilities. Do they even still park cars on the top level? It barely even passes just as a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post

It got me to thinking...

Certainly a very creative idea. But the owner of the building doesn't think in creative terms.

I parked in that theatre/garage almost everyday for about 15 years. Very sad.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Certainly a very creative idea. But the owner of the building doesn't think in creative terms.
    Hey, we don't knock Tony P. around here. Don't want to disrupt the gravy train of concert tickets from the 70s.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Major insurance liabilities. Do they even still park cars on the top level? It barely even passes just as a garage.
    I can't imagine that the car idea could be done logically. Now a place for summer movies, parking on the lower levels and bringing lawn chairs upstairs, with some creative lighting highlighting the ceiling areas would be interesting, to say the least.

Think that would be able to be done with headphones as well, broadcast in FM.

Retroit Guest

I think it's a great idea. It would certainly be the first of its kind, and most appropriate for the Motor Capital. And it would piss-off people, such as Detroitnerd, who detest the Car Culture.

I think that would be sweet. Maybe the boys at the Burton could hook that up? I'm sure the guy at the Michigan wouldn't care so long as people pay an inflated rate to park...

Pretty cool ideal! I would imagine C02 would be an issue as everyone would be running their cars in a somewhat enclosed space.

OK.... now that you've shared some interesting ideas.... the answer is... it ain't gonna happen.

Too many logistical problems... no public restrooms, the Handicap Access laws, people poking about in dangerous off limits areas, etc.

There could only be viewing on one of the 3 parking levels.... which is something like 60 cars.

The former theatre space does a nice business with a loyal following of major sports tailgaters, so that's about as close to a public event in that space as you'll ever see. With a relatively new roof on that space, inclement weather is not a problem for tailgaters.

Quote: "But the owner of the building doesn't think in creative terms.".... Tailgating for 300 [[includes outside parking) or an inside drive-in theatre for 60.... one may be more creative, but the other is more profitable...

And don't worry about the gravy train of concert tickets from the 70's... that train has long left the station... I have 1 case of complementary tickets left [[I cleaned out 90% of the tickets) for DYES picnic's, PW Theatre Tours, and an occasional FSC meetings. Those tickets were a tripping hazzard in the former Theatre Managers Office. And the owner didn't mind me making it safer!
    Last edited by Gistok; March-25-10 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    And don't worry about the gravy train of concert tickets from the 70's... that train has long left the station... I have 1 case of complementary tickets left [[I cleaned out 90% of the tickets) for DYES picnic's, PW Theatre Tours, and an occasional FSC meetings. Those tickets were a tripping hazzard in the former Theatre Managers Office. And the owner didn't mind me making it safer!
    Gary, got any extra T.Rex/ZZ Top ones? I'm a pretty big T. Rex fan [[though can't say I care much for ZZ).

bump...

I agree with Gistok on the 60 car thing as a drive in - but parking on lower levels, and lawn chairs/blankets on the top - could be phenomenal. You'd obviously have to secure any places that would allow people to get into the old balcony, but it would be a first of a kind. We can always dream.

Ahh, I hate to burst your bubble, but I was part of a crew that removed the projector heads in March of 1977. we were in the building the second day that the "Golden Movement Emporium", a large-scale antiques house from California was removing all of the goodies--they bought the internal furnishings, light fixtures, ornamental plaster--anything that wasn't holding the building up was fair game. The booth contents were sold separately. We were among the last people to see the building "in one piece" as the balcony railings, chandeliers, wall sconces, backstage sinks, elevator doors and other bits were being removed and packed in the trucks. We left a lot of "stuff" behind that had no commercial value, the projector bases, rewind bench, the motor-generator set that was the original source of high-amperage DC current for the arc lamps and the [[Detroit-made) Brenkert spotlights. We also left behind the "Paramount television film reproducer" a huge device that was used to show "live" prize fights. There is stuff up there, but nothing you are going to use to show a movie with, especially today. The Michigan had Simplex XL projection heads, the best 35mm projectors ever made. We shipped them to a supplier in Fon Du Loc Wisconsin, who mated them to modern "platter" systems and sent them on to their new phase of life, in some mall cinema in some suburb somewhere.

56 Packman:
    In addition, wouldn't the angle from the booth to the proscenium require expensive, special lenses?...not like propping up the old 16mm on milk crates and 2x4's

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    56 Packman:
    In addition, wouldn't the angle from the booth to the proscenium require expensive, special lenses?...not like propping up the old 16mm on milk crates and 2x4's
    Good point! Expensive indeed

Quote Originally Posted by lingramid View Post
    bump...

I agree with Gistok on the 60 car thing as a drive in - but parking on lower levels, and lawn chairs/blankets on the top - could be phenomenal. You'd obviously have to secure any places that would allow people to get into the old balcony, but it would be a first of a kind. We can always dream.
    I second that. What a cool and uniquely Detroit thing that would be if it could happen. We're somewhat known for having a parking garage inside an old theater, maybe something totally different like this would attract some positive, humorous media attention as well. Of course it would have to be a warm season event. Maybe even small concerts there? I guess the plaster ceiling would need to be inspected and or stabilized.

But it's doubtful, we already have some great downtown theaters for bands. And the Burton Theater and DFT are not far away.

But it's still a fun idea. And equally strange things have been done in various places, like the Sloss Furnace in Birmingham, AL; a defunct steel mill which for a while was used for concerts. Maybe it's still operating.

Creative and awesome idea.....however, not practical.

the venue would make an interesting backdrop for a Prize Fight, or better yet, a Mixed Martial Arts bout. Set up porta-johns and concessions in the parking lot.

I'm obviously underestimating the degree of difficulty of this, but...
    - what do they do now about the exhaust, assuming they don't hitch oxen to the front of cars entering the garage? I kid. But that problem would seem to have been addressed already.
    - Wait, people leave their cars on during drive in movies? I never did that [[well, unless I needed heat). I guess they still think of gas as being 73 cents per gallon.
    - Who says they can't just mount a cheaper projector in a more appropriate location?
    - I talked my way past the security guard on a Sat. like 3 years ago, and at that point, they still parked on the top level. Except for the space where there was a basketball hoop mounted for the owner's kid.
    - Even though I'm also a bemoaner of car culture, so to speak, I find drive-ins really cool. I'll talk to the nerd. ;-)

I realize this is not the sort of thing one does - this creative re-use of the defunct theater as a parking garage idea - but I like it. If you ask me, they provide [[some of) the cars and then you walk there. It being downtown.

Hey, 56...
    I may be in a position soon to oversee the removal of two ca 1925 Simplex heads, one ca 1970 lamp housing, a 3 platter rewinder and assorted other odds and ends. Would you be in a position to advise and or assist in the removal and sale of these items to a good home? This would probably be taking place in the spring. Shoot me an email at krawlspace [[at) comcast.net if you have a chance. Thanks!

As a follow-up idea/brainfart, somebody should do something, wait, no, but somebody should open a drive in in Detroit. Land seems to be cheap and plentiful.

Has Quicken Loans bought the air above the Premier Parking Garage yet? You could build a platform up there, on top of those trusses sticking out of the ground, throw down some grass or astroturf, and park some car shells [[no motor). It's a completely random thing to do, but it beats what they were doing there 2 years ago, and may still be doing there, and it's a nice, central location.

Which, honestly, they should build a platform above the trusses and use that space for something or other.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast