Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Dude Guest

Default Michigan License Plates

Back in 2007, Michigan got new license plates. The Secretary of State's Office said that if you had the blue Great Lakes plate, even in good legible condition you had to get rid of it for the new blue on white plate or the new Spectacular Peninsulas plate, but you could keep your 15 year old, worn out, hard to read Auto Capital of the World or Great Lakes Splendor plates. What SHOULD have been done was to pass a law that ALL Michigan plates be changed every five years from when they are purchased. Reason for this is that the reflectorization on the license plates is only lasts for five years.

It's hard to believe the Great Lakes Splendor plate is 15 years old! Wow, does time fly!

I really think there should be more of a push towards consistency in plates within a state. Here in Arizona we have so many different types of plates it's ridiculous. An alternative fuels plate, a "shouldn't hurt to be a child" plate, probably various university-related plates, handicapped plates, veteran's plates, and, oh yeah, the popular green and gold cactus standard plate as well as the white on maroon plates from probably the days of my grandfather's youth. We probably have enough different designs right here within just Arizona to almost cover all 50 states!!!!

I think it would be just great if every state had one unique design that it stuck with - and it would be easy to tell from half a mile away just what state a vehicle was from. And what would the design be? Well, unfortunately I guess it wouldn't be feasible due to visibility issues with some of the color combinations, but if it weren't for that, a logical choice would be to design each state's license plate after that state's State Flag.

I always liked European plates.

I collect licence plates yet not avidly. I didn't get anything other then the standard plate on my last vehicle. The blue plates come out in about 84/85 when I started driving.. I do like the "Special" plates yet I have a hard time even knowing what State I AM IN.
    Seems to me it was just another way to make a buck from the public by changing the plates. Which at one time I went though 3 plates in 3 yrs, Not cause I had too But switched from the blue to the 100 yrs of the Auto to the Big Mac plate, Why cause I did.
    By the time the blue plates were leaving us, I noticed that the ones left were either shiny or rusty as hell.

Time was you got new plates every year in Michigan. One year white letters on color, next year colored letters on white. Easy for the polezei to tell if your plates had expired. For a while they alternated UofM colors and MSU colors year to year.

Back when the plates were two letters and four numbers, the letters were coded by county Sec of State offices. AA through CZ was Wayne County. If you had the key, you could tell what county the car was from. As I recall, the key was on a paper or card you got with your plates or the paper sleeve your plates came in. 40s and 50s are getting hazy.

My garage wall. All MI plates 1910 - date. [[photo three years ago before the current plates were issued, but I got 'em.....)
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

Retroit Guest

I'm in favor of whatever costs me and the state the least amount of money. I think the primary goal when designing license plates should be the ease of them being remembered by eyewitnesses to crimes.

I still have one of those "spirit of '76" bicentennial plates off of my first car, and a plate from the year I was born. I was able to score a 1925 plate for my father's 80th birthday, which he framed and hung in his office.

Ray, I used to have a collection similar to yours [[sold it off years ago). I always thought it was interesting that today's standard size wasn't adopted until 1956. The 1970 was the ugliest Michigan plate of all -- white numbers on a mustard yellow background. And it was virtually unreadable when just a little dirty. For best color combos, I always liked the black-on-silver plates of '48 and '50, as well as the maroon-and-white '57 [[repeated in '71). The '38 was cool too -- black numbers on turquoise.

I agree that the "Great Lakes Splendor" and "Auto Capital" plates should be retired too; most of those are looking pretty faded and/or discolored now. I would like to see only one standard design and one "special" design, and that's it.

Not sure what license plates have to do with Detroit, except that they're part of the visual landscape that makes this place what it is. I'm told that it's common to see Detroit license plates with the ends cut off with by thieves looking for current registration stickers to apply to their plates to make `em look like they're not expired, but I've seen only a couple incidents of this.

An acquaintence living in Corktown took the precaution of putting his renewal sticker in the middle of the plate to make it harder to swipe, which earned him a ticket from a hick cop in west Michigan. I pointed out to him that this is not illegal -- the Vehicle Code doesn't say where the sticker has to be displayed -- but I never did learn how the resulting court case was decided.

I've got a lot of nostalgia for the painted, embossed plates, but I'm sure we'll never see them again. I believe that this is due to the difficulty and expense of painting the plates under current emissions laws, and the lobbying horsepower and generous campaign contributions of the 3M Company, which sells the reflectorized sheeting. Michigan was one of the last states to resist the 3M Scotchlite steamroller.

For people with decaying "auto centennial" plates, look on the bright side: your plates may not be readable by the photo-radar cameras used in other, more auto-hostile, jurisdictions outside Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    My garage wall. All MI plates 1910 - date. [[photo three years ago before the current plates were issued, but I got 'em.....)
    Wow - and you even have one of my old personal favorites - the yellow-on-white 1970 plates. I was eight years old when those came out and thought those were really cool as they were so different from any I'd seen before. Apparently that combination was recognized as a mistake pretty quickly, though, as it had visibility issues.

But of all the ones on your wall, I'd say the best and the luckiest was that FLORIDA plate!!!! That must have made your snow-shoveling neighbors jealous.

Well, on another wall is a set of 51 states [[including DC) for the 1976 bicentennial year. Makes for a nice display.

Pete Waldmier of the Detroit News used to say of the Michigan Secretary of State: "He has but one job, to pick the colors for our license plates each year. And he blows it every year."

The 1910 to 1914 plates were really something. They were porcelain.

Retroit Guest

I have a question about Ray's plates: I noticed there are 4 that have the same alpha-numerals [[AD-7777). Would those have been personalized plates or were the alpha-numerals assigned to a particular vehicle and get transfered to the new plates?

I have an old "Auto Capital" plate that I bought back in 1996 when they first came out, but I never actually used it for some reason.

Can you use an old Michigan plate if it has not been registered for some time? Or is that plate just voided once it is not registered anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I have a question about Ray's plates: I noticed there are 4 that have the same alpha-numerals [[AD-7777). Would those have been personalized plates or were the alpha-numerals assigned to a particular vehicle and get transfered to the new plates?
    Ray probably had a little "pull" and got someone to slip him the "7777" plates each year.

Yes, if you had clout, you could reserve a number. Case in point: my grandfather knew I collected license plates. One year in the mid-'60s, he was in line to get tags for his two cars and he could see that he was in the right spot in line to get plate number EJ-8700. He thought I'd like that, 'cause I'd end up with the plate for my collection after it expired. [[Numbers that ended in "00" or "000" were prized by many.) Well, he got to the counter and they gave him EJ-8699 and EJ-8701. He was told that a "VIP" had already requisitioned EJ-8700.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Fury is correct in his response above this one. My late mother was office supervisor of the east Dearborn AAA for years, and she always 'pulled' the 7777 plate for me. Others in the office generally got their favorites, also, as did employees of the SOS. That was in the days when all plates expired at midnight on February 28 [[or 29, if a leap year).

I think the plate colors went by what ever university was up for the plate that year.The 1965 and 1967 plates were Uof M Colors.MSU was early 60s?1970 gold and white was CMU or WMU?Northern?I may be way off base on this.
    You can get a "year of manufactured" plate for your classic.That is why you see old cars with 1956 plates on them for example.The plate could have been used before,it most likely was.My 1967 plate I use was new in the wrapper.On the sleeve was the codes for what county the plates were issued in.

Retroit Guest

Fury is correct in his response above this one. My late mother was office supervisor of the east Dearborn AAA for years, and she always 'pulled' the 7777 plate for me. Others in the office generally got their favorites, also, as did employees of the SOS. That was in the days when all plates expired at midnight on February 28 [[or 29, if a leap year).
    That would explain the other plates with 777. Must be a gambler.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    I think the plate colors went by what ever university was up for the plate that year.The 1965 and 1967 plates were Uof M Colors.MSU was early 60s?1970 gold and white was CMU or WMU?Northern?I may be way off base on this.
    The green and gold plates were for either Wayne or Northern, both of which use those colors. Central is maroon, which you see used a couple of times. I think the lone brown plate was for Western.

One of my mother's best friends worked at the Secretary of State's offices downtown and managed to get a "000" plate for her for several years.

I see those auto centennial plates every day, and have yet to see one that I could clearly read.
    I have a small collection of Michigan plates, all Municipal.
    Two of them I need to finish repainting them.

You can see them here......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2520414...7616805252945/

Oh, and apparently the unfortunate 1970 white-on-gold plates were for Oakland U.

Ray's display confirms my recollection that for a while in the 50s the plate colors alternated between silver on black and black on silver.

Yes and you were out in the snow and ice trying to get the salt encrusted and rusted out nuts and bolts loose to change your plates. Usually it was a 10 degree day with a 20 MPH wind. We didn't have the little nylon inserts then, the plates were thru-bolted in the bumper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast