Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Census Mail Participation Rate

April 1 is Census Day but the Census Bureau began a daily posting of the mail
    participation rate, that is the percent of forms sent out that have been mailed back.
    These numbers for states, cities, counties and neighborhoods are on line at:
    http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/

As of this morning, the Mail Participation rates were as follows:

Nation 13%
    State of Michigan 12%
    City of Detroit 2%
    Ann Arbor 4%
    Southfiield 11%
    Novi 12%
    Farmington Hills 14%
    Troy 18%

Wow, that many people were able to answer the very first question on the form, and it's only March 23.

Question #1 from the census:
    "How many people were living or staying in this house, apartment, or mobile home on April 1, 2010?"

I'm part of the 88% in Mich. that have not responded yet because the way it is worded, I cannot truthfully and honestly answer that question until April 2, 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    Wow, that many people were able to answer the very first question on the form, and it's only March 23.

Question #1 from the census:
    "How many people were living or staying in this house, apartment, or mobile home on April 1, 2010?"

I'm part of the 88% in Mich. that have not responded yet because the way it is worded, I cannot truthfully and honestly answer that question until April 2, 2010.
    Oh don't be such a smart-ass. Good point though. I was filling out my family's form and my brother turned 19 on March 18, so I had to remember not to put 18, but 19, as I filled it out before his birthday.

Has anyone out there been visited? My father couldn't remember if we were visited in the 2000 Census. I guess it's not 1930 anymore so mass mail might be more effective. I also thought the 2000 Census asked Whites about their ethnic group as well, i.e. German, French, English, etc.

One more question! I heard they kept "Negro" because 50,000 responded as such in the last census. Who were these people? If that's the way you want to be identified I guess that's your business, but I'm just wondering.

I am with John, I find it funny that people can truthfully fill that thing out in advance. You don't know whats going to happen between now and April 1.

Dtown, no one will be visited until after April 1. They cannot visit before April 1 and ask those questions. In terms of additional information that used to be collected through the census, the American Community Survey has been established to get the socio-economic data through sampling on a more regular basis. This was done because it makes no sense to use 10 year old data, because by the 10th year about ten percent of the population has died and another 30-40 percent has moved.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; March-23-10 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Oh don't be such a smart-ass. Good point though
    They threaten you with fines if you don't fill it out truthfully. If they really can fine you under the law, then I am forced to assume that it is a legal document. So I cannot truthfully answer it yet, and they cannot expect me to, until April 2nd. Otherwise it would be perjury with the way the question is written.
    Last edited by johnsmith; March-23-10 at 08:32 AM. Reason: smiley wanted to make an appearance

They threaten you with fines if you don't fill it out truthfully. If they really can fine you under the law, then I am forced to assume that it is a legal document. So I cannot truthfully answer it yet, and they cannot expect me to, until April 2nd. Otherwise it would be perjury with the way the question is written.
    Is it perjury if you haven't taken an oath? I really don't think the Census Bureau is going to be looking to levy a fine against people who answered with a reasonable answer before April 1st. I think unless you have household members who are pregnant with an imminent due date or in hospice who could die at anytime, for most people, it is "reasonable to assume" whoever you have in your house today will be the same ones there next Thursday. Complete the form, mail it, and get it over with. That's what I did. I don't PSAs from the feds or anyone else nagging me to submit this form.

Buy American Guest

I'm po'd with the waste from all this. About a week before I got the Census form I received a letter telling me I would receive it. Then I received the form a week later. Then, a week after I received it, I got another form telling me I should have received it. What's with all the reminders??? Wasteful spending by the Federal Government AGAIN.
    The point that johnsmith made is a very good one, indeed. I guess I broke the law because I filled mine out before April 1.

On the Census website they have posted a notice that you can answer it now with your belief of what the conditions will be on April 1. So go ahead, it is taken care of.

2010 Census: Questionnaire due date Question What is the due date for returning the questionnaire? Answer IF ASKED BEFORE April 1, 2010: The Census Bureau does not establish a due date for returning the questionnaire, but we ask that you mail back the questionnaire as soon as possible. Even though the census counts people as of April 1, if you plan on living at the address on the questionnaire on April 1, you can complete the questionnaire now and mail it back in the postage-paid envelope.
    IF ASKED ON OR AFTER April 1, 2010: The Census Bureau does not establish a due date for returning the questionnaire, but we ask that you mail back the questionnaire as soon as possible. Please complete your questionnaire now and return it to us. If we do not receive your questionnaire soon, a census worker may visit your house and complete one with you.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; March-23-10 at 11:14 AM.

Retroit Guest

I urge everyone to send in their Census so that we can be fairly represented in Congress.

...like, you know, the 54% of us that did not want Obamacare.

[[source: http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...th_care_reform)

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Is it perjury if you haven't taken an oath? I really don't think the Census Bureau is going to be looking to levy a fine against people who answered with a reasonable answer before April 1st. I think unless you have household members who are pregnant with an imminent due date or in hospice who could die at anytime, for most people, it is "reasonable to assume" whoever you have in your house today will be the same ones there next Thursday. Complete the form, mail it, and get it over with. That's what I did. I don't PSAs from the feds or anyone else nagging me to submit this form.
    I'm just being difficult to be difficult. My line of work requires very specific technical language, and I was just pointing out this little detail. I'm still waiting for April 2nd to give them my household's headcount anyway.

As far as the perjury, I don't think it has to necessarily be an oath. For example, if you read the 1040 form where you have to sign it, on that form, it is a declaration you make "under penalties of perjury."

Now, for the census form, there is no declaration to be made or even a signature required. It's even addressed to "resident", no specific person. How can fines be imposed then? And to whom would they be imposed? Heck, the census even got people's addresses in Ferndale, Oak Park, Gross Pointe among others wrong. People there got forms that were mailed to "Detroit" with the Ferndale, Oak Park, Gross Pointe zip codes. What's up with that? Can they scratch out Detroit and put their true city on there? If you don't, are you lying about your address?
    Last edited by johnsmith; March-23-10 at 12:00 PM.

People there got forms that were mailed to "Detroit" with the Ferndale, Oak Park, Gross Pointe zip codes. What's up with that? Can they scratch out Detroit and put their true city on there? If you don't, are you lying about your address?
    The fact they say Detroit is irrelevant, it was for postal purposes and saved them money. That should make Buyamerican happy. The barcode on the census form tells them where your house is, so they know the correct city. No need to cross anything out.

Oh yeah, that's right, they GPS'd every one of our front doors. Now all they need to do is have your name, birthdate, race, etc. tied to this information to "determine how many classrooms and hospitals we need." [[per the sappy billboards around town). Yeah right, as if the Federal level decides any of that.
    Last edited by johnsmith; March-23-10 at 12:42 PM.

Oh yeah, that's right, they GPS'd every one of our front doors. Now all they need to do is have your name, birthdate, race, etc. tied to this information to "determine how many classrooms and hospitals we need." [[per the sappy billboards around town). Yeah right, as if the Federal level decides any of that.
    The federal level does decide how much money they will send you for those purposes based on population count.

The population data are also provided to states, counties, and cities to assist them in allocating resources.

I documented that there are 12 people living in my two bedroom apartment.

Is that illegal??

How is GPS any different different than your address? The census is in the Constitution, because representatives at the Federal level are based on population. Get over it. If our grand grandparents could fill it out without handwringing about big brother, I think we can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    I documented that there are 12 people living in my two bedroom apartment.

Is that illegal??
    That's the sort of data that could be used to target immigrants.

If you don't bother filling it out, then someone will come to your door asking the questions on the form. It is a job created. I applied and hope I am able to work for the census. Haven't worked in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    How is GPS any different different than your address? The census is in the Constitution, because representatives at the Federal level are based on population. Get over it. If our grand grandparents could fill it out without handwringing about big brother, I think we can handle it.
    Yep, I looked up my grandparents as far back as the 1860 census and it contained pretty much the same questions it has now. Names, ages, sex, ethnicity, etc. And further than that, it had whether or not each member of the household could read and/or write and if they were handicapped or not.
    Last edited by jcole; March-23-10 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Yep, I looked up my grandparents as far back as the 1860 census and it contained pretty much the same questions it has now. Names, ages, sex, ethnicity, etc. And further than that, it had whether or not each member of the household could read and/or write and if they were handicapped or not.
    Yeah, those old censuses would also have information on what sort of house [[frame, stone, sod) and occupations too.

Here's the actual phrasing of the 'handicapped' question of 1870:
    Attachment 5582

Actually, if it wasn't for the census, I would never have known that my family originally came from Canada, my great-great-great grandfather was an engineer in a logging camp and his sons were loggers, too, and that my great grandfather was a twin whose brother died when he was 14.

Is it a crime to lie on the Census? Cause then my great-grandma is guilty. In the 1920 Census she put her father being born in France. In the 1930, she put Pennsylvannia, the correct answer. My father always talked about her wanting to be French, but c'mon!

Is it a crime to lie on the Census? Cause then my great-grandma is guilty. In the 1920 Census she put her father being born in France. In the 1930, she put Pennsylvannia, the correct answer. My father always talked about her wanting to be French, but c'mon!
    That is a good point. The information on historical censuses isn't always correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    That is a good point. The information on historical censuses isn't always correct!
    No, because in the 1930 Census my grandma, the same family, is Mary Buby not Mary Bube, the right name.

No, because in the 1930 Census my grandma, the same family, is Mary Buby not Mary Bube, the right name.
    My family had some odd spellings too. I imagine they said their name to the census taker, and rather than deal with their broken English, he just decided how to spell it himself. I may be mistaken, but isn't the handwriting on one of those 30's census forms all the same? Not filled out by the person, but by the census taker?

Edit: yes, here a sample
    http://www.duryeapa.com/1930to1939/P...e%20Martin.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast