Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Pulitzer news this afternoon: S T A Y T U N E D

Jim Schaefer and M.L. Elrick received a Watchdog Award last evening in East Lansing at Michigan Journalism Hall of Fame induction ceremonies for Jack Kresnak, Joe Grimm and others.

And at 3 p.m. today, Columbia University announces the 2009 Pulitzer Prize winners . . .

Top journalism prize in local reporting for the Freep staff, shared with a small Arizona paper.

Judges say the Pulitzer is "awarded to Detroit Free Press Staff, and notably Jim Schaefer and M.L. Elrick, for their uncovering of a pattern of lies by Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick that included denial of a sexual relationship with his female chief of staff, prompting an investigation of perjury that eventually led to jail terms for the two officials."
    Last edited by Reality_Check; April-20-09 at 02:16 PM.

Congrats to Jim Schaefer, M.L. Elrick, and the Free Press- that is fantastic news!

That's great news for the Free Press, Detroit journalism and the whole city of Detroit!

Yep. Hope the Anchor has enough beer...

well done! congrats !

Some good news out of the bad news of the Kilpatrick stuff. Freep earned this one through and through. Cartoonist Mike Thompson was a finalist, too.

I'd wager Max Ortiz of The News wins next year for his photo of the frozen dead man back in January.

You're on, Bill -- I'll take that wager eagerly.

I admire the stunningly memorable 'Popsicle man' image by Max [[whom I know), made under difficult lighting conditions to say the least.

But a Pulitzer . . . for Feature Photography? . . . Not even a finalist, and I'll stake a top-shelf pour at the Anchor on it.

This year's went to NY Times shooter Damon Winter, as you know, "for his memorable array of pictures deftly capturing multiple facets of Barack Obama’s presidential campaign."

And I trust you don't dream it fits the Spot News slot, awarded today to Pat Farrell of The Miami Herald "for his provocative, impeccably composed images of despair after Hurricane Ike and other lethal storms caused a humanitarian disaster in Haiti."

So while giving props to Max [[and his teammate whose name I dare not whisper here), let's not get carried away . . .

--> And oh yes, I'll have a Glenlivet next April 19. Invite Max to join us.

Congratulations to Schaefer and Elrick, two hard working talented totally deserving journalists. Damn few left.

since when did they give pulitzers for tabloid reporting?

whos next? perez hilton?

i'm sorry, i just think this was a crappy story to win it. a crappy circumstance to get the mayor in jail [[his corruption and other things [[manoogian mansion party) go uninvestigated??). just a crappy situation all around.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post

whos next? perez hilton?

i'm sorry, i just think this was a crappy story to win it. a crappy circumstance to get the mayor in jail [[his corruption and other things [[manoogian mansion party) go uninvestigated??). just a crappy situation all around.
    Wanna know what would be even crappier??

If they never stuck their nose into KK's business, and never reported on all this... and all the money that they would have continued to siphon off of city contracts, sponge free flights and spa vacations off of millionaires, and continued to spend their foundations money on personal needs, and he continued to be in charge in Detroit... now that would be even crappier.....

Also... FYI... the lawsuit related to the strippers death has yet to go to trial, and Ms. Hilton is still called PARIS....

Gistok, It couldn't have been any more eloquent then that. Nice response.

uh, no, there are two P Hiltons. Paris is the blond rich one and Perez is not. Perez Hilton has a celebrity/gossip site: http://www.perezhilton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vivadetroit View Post
    uh, no, there are two P Hiltons. Paris is the blond rich one and Perez is not. Perez Hilton has a celebrity/gossip site: http://www.perezhilton.com/
    Thanks for correcting me on that one vivadetroit... not familiar with that gissip girl...

But there's a world of difference between responsible journalism and gossip journalism...

To paraphrase BlackSoul_X and Jjaba [[2 poles apart on the "reality check" scale).... "Snitching" and "Kvetsching" are not the same....
    Last edited by Gistok; April-26-09 at 02:53 PM.

Reporting on a corrupt mayor, his perjury and the juvenile sleazy sex scandal he created for himself is "tabloid reporting?"

Kilpatrick lied his way into jail, as did his chief of staff. He pleaded guilty. He had to quit his job. And it's not because the media was nosy or racist or any of the other intellectually and morally dishonest criticisms I've seen leveled.