Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg

He is one of Detroit's greatest and yet probably [[sadly) relatively unknown sports icons...Hank Greenberg was an icon for millions back in the '30's. I found this wonderful documentary online and I have watched it three times. Some of the old scenes of Detroit I have never seen before and are just remarkable. Before Jackie Robinson, it was Greenberg that faced the wrath of hatred for an athlete based on his race.

"There are a lot of kids out there. I hope that if I set a good example for them, maybe somehow it will affect their lives." -Hank Greenberg.

Enjoy!

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title...ank_greenberg/

I bought that DVD for my Dad and I, haven't watched the whole thing yet.I enjoyed what I saw.

For the record I apologize if the forum rules prohibit postings of full length videos like this one. If I broke any rules feel free to nuke the thread...

The Tinklers wrote a song called "Hank Greenberg and Jackie Robinson" about the advice and encouragement Hank passed on to Jackie during his ordeal to play major league baseball.

Michigan Guest

"Damn it, I asked for a spy, not the slowest base runner in the American league"

Hank Greenberg fell out of love with the Tigers when they moved him to left field so that Rudy York could play first base. They finally had to give Greenberg a $10,000 bonus to agree to the move. In 1941, Greenberg was the first American League player to be drafted into the army. He came back in 1945 just in time to get the Tigers into the World Series with a few key home runs. The Tigers shipped Rudy York off to the Red Sox for shortstop Eddie Lake so that Greenberg could return to first base. After one year [[1946) the Tigers got tired of Greenberg and his salary and sold him to the Pittsburgh Pirates for $75,000. Greeberg played one year for the Pirates and didn't like having second billing to Ralph Kiner, so he retired after the 1947 season at age 36.

By the way, The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg was directed by Detroit's own Aviva Kempner - a classmate of mine from Cass Tech.

Here's pic of Hank when he first went into the military from some scrapbook pages I have.

Here's another

Here's an interesting article mentioning him refusing a day's deferment

Can't remember if that's the same one, but I saw one about him on Netflix Instant.

The guy knew how to use the lumber.

That bat looks like a toothpick in Hank's hands. Speaking of toothpicks JFK looks pretty gaunt himself.
    Last edited by zitro; March-23-10 at 12:59 PM.

Ted Williams is on the left. Is the Red Sox player next to him Johnnie Pesky??

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Ted Williams is on the left. Is the Red Sox player next to him Johnnie Pesky??
    Not sure who that is but it isn't Pesky

Eddie Pellagrini, April 1946. JFK, running for Congress the primary was in June and he was running against 7 or 8 others.

One of the language options on the DVD is Yiddish!

I saw Aviva down at the main library when they had the first showing of the film years ago. It was a real labor of love for her.
    One of the better documentaries of a sports figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Hank Greenberg fell out of love with the Tigers when they moved him to left field so that Rudy York could play first base. They finally had to give Greenberg a $10,000 bonus to agree to the move. In 1941, Greenberg was the first American League player to be drafted into the army. He came back in 1945 just in time to get the Tigers into the World Series with a few key home runs. The Tigers shipped Rudy York off to the Red Sox for shortstop Eddie Lake so that Greenberg could return to first base. After one year [[1946) the Tigers got tired of Greenberg and his salary and sold him to the Pittsburgh Pirates for $75,000. Greeberg played one year for the Pirates and didn't like having second billing to Ralph Kiner, so he retired after the 1947 season at age 36.

Where did you get your info? I'm curious because I have Greenberg's autobiography [[part of which was written posthumously), along with several other books with biographical info on Greenberg, and while some of the things you say have been documented, others I'm reading here for the first time.

For instance, I never heard the reason he quit Pittsburgh was because he didn't like playing second fiddle to Ralph Kiner. In fact, Kiner credits Hank with being a great mentor to him.

And part of the reason the Tigers traded him, according to Greenberg, was because Walter Briggs got mad after seeing Hank in a Yankee uniform. Salary may also have been part of it.

I'm not saying you're wrong; I have just never seen some of this stuff anywhere else, and I'm a baseball history nut, especially when it relates to the Tigers.

I caught this film a couple of months ago on one of the TV movie channels [[Flix?) and really enjoyed it. If you get a chance to see it, do so. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    Where did you get your info? I'm curious because I have Greenberg's autobiography [[part of which was written posthumously), along with several other books with biographical info on Greenberg, and while some of the things you say have been documented, others I'm reading here for the first time.

For instance, I never heard the reason he quit Pittsburgh was because he didn't like playing second fiddle to Ralph Kiner. In fact, Kiner credits Hank with being a great mentor to him.

And part of the reason the Tigers traded him, according to Greenberg, was because Walter Briggs got mad after seeing Hank in a Yankee uniform. Salary may also have been part of it.

I'm not saying you're wrong; I have just never seen some of this stuff anywhere else, and I'm a baseball history nut, especially when it relates to the Tigers.
    Just read his interview in "The Glory Of Their Times." He was just tired of being a player, and wanted to be an executive.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    By the way, The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg was directed by Detroit's own Aviva Kempner - a classmate of mine from Cass Tech.
    Mine too packman. CT class of '65.

It's hard to believe any of today's players would report early or volunteer for military service.

*gasp* My rabbi lied! For years!

I googled "hang greenberg yom kippur" and learned that Greenberg didn't miss a world series game to attend shul.

I hope he atones next year for the falsehood.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    It's hard to believe any of today's players would report early or volunteer for military service.
    One did, and it got him killed. By his own troops no less!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast