Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Good Place To Get a Haircut?

I have long hair and am looking for someone relatively close to the CBD or Midtown, and who has experience with non-ethnic hair.

Try village barber and hair salon. A short drive to the east side. Mack Ave. next to Yorkshire Market in EEV.

Best haircut my husband ever had and for only $8.00. He has had $50 dollar haircuts that were not that good.

His hair is not an easy cut, used to be curly but is now thinning and the hair isn't sure if it is curly, straight or non existant.

He does a great job on ethnic and non ethnic hair. Great conversation too. Like his music and art work!
    Last edited by sumas; March-22-10 at 10:56 PM. Reason: correction on spelling

Default Curl Up & Dye in Midtown

Not only should they win "Best Business Name" but their place is great.

"Ethinc" [[what the heck does that mean, anyway), non-ethnic, curly, straight, course, fine, red, blond, black, purple, whatever you want. They can do it. For a fair price. With fantastic customer service.

DetroitDad - is your hair at least 10 inches long or more? If so you could have it cut and donate it to Locks of Love. They would use it to make hair pieces for children who have lost their hair due to medical conditions.

http://www.charityguide.org/voluntee...ks-of-love.htm

I've been growing my hair for them. I need another few inches and it will be ready.

I don't have any place to recommend to go for a haircut - I'm just pitching for Locks of Love!

Rel - I've never been to Curl Up & Dye but do have several friends who go there. I love the name of the place too.
    Last edited by eriedearie; March-23-10 at 01:16 AM. Reason: edited to add the link.

Ravine Guest

Surely there is some ethnicity involved?
    I certainly hope so, unless "white" has come to mean the same as "blank."
    Last edited by Ravine; March-23-10 at 06:17 AM.

LodgeDodger Guest

What do you mean by 'ethnic' hair? Btw, my hair is considered ethnic.

Sometimes, I hear my hair speaking a foreign language to me; you know, inside my head. So, I think it might be ethnic hair.

EastSider Guest

I think there's still an old-school barber at the top of the Buhl. And I'm not implying anything about ethnic/non-ethnic by the use of "old-school."

Haikoont Guest

There's Ya Mar's Yemeni Barber Shop on Cass. Great place, low prices and above average hair cuts.

Oh, wait. They only cut ethnic hair. You probably wouldn't even be allowed in the door. Nevermind, sorry.

Curl Up and Dye - ask for Kara. She is fantastic! My daighter gave me a gift certificate for Christmas. I have already been thre twice and have a third appointment in April. Wish I would have known about it sooner...and it's right around the corner from Avalon...

Any way Detroit Dad says it hes going to catch some shit from someone. Hes a white guy who wants a decent haircut in a mainly black city.

Curl up and die is a salon not a barber. I know I don't need a $30 hair cut but Curl up and die will take your cut long hair for kids who need it. There is a fee though to donate your hair. Its just a buck or two..

I remember going to the barber with Playboys on the tables in the waiting area, I consider that the mark of a true barber shop.

Ravine Guest

"Any way Detroit Dad says it hes going to catch some shit from someone. Hes a white guy who wants a decent haircut in a mainly black city."

Gosh, Djang, you made that look easy, after DetroitDad went jumping through a totally ridiculous hoop to avoid the simple task of Just Saying What You Mean.

I also hear Barberella's [[sp) in Hamtown is good, and priced very reasonably. I don't have any more info on this place.

DetroitDad Guest

Thanks!

Actually, I thought up this thread while waiting for the bus and reading all the window signs at Himelhoch and Clarridge House. I didn't know what to call it; otherwise. I was told by a coworker, at some barbers only have experience with ethnic hair... her words.

Some barbers will turn you down, based on their skill set and experience.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Thanks!

Actually, I thought up this thread while waiting for the bus and reading all the window signs at Himelhoch and Clarridge House. I didn't know what to call it; otherwise. I was told by a coworker, at some barbers only have experience with ethnic hair... her words.

Some barbers will turn you down, based on their skill set and experience.
    Actually, some barbers will turn you down if you resemble an unwashed hippie too.

A bowl and a set of clippers will do you just fine. Maybe shave your head?
    That would stop all the hand wringing and gnashing of teeth IMHO.

Ravine Guest

"I was told by a coworker, at some barbers only have experience with ethnic hair... her words."

Uh-huh.

I've gone to Marcus Iverson's place at 101 Cadillac Square a few times. He's always done a good job with my hair. Good prices and conversation.

Barber Shop at Michigan/Cecil. Jerry's? Across from Taqueria Sr. Lopez.
    One barber hails from "Dearburn", the other from Mich [[as in Michoacán). Both speak english and cut ethnic and non ethnic hair. They'll probably cut your toupee too, if you have neither ethnic nor non ethnic hair.

10 bucks for a basic buzz cut.

Paul's Barber Shop in the Redford theatre building, 17360 Lahser. He knows what to do with hair like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Paul's Barber Shop in the Redford theatre building, 17360 Lahser. He knows what to do with hair like yours.
    He does bless his heart. I've known Paul since the 80's. When I'm in the neighborhood I always stop to chat.

DetroitDad Guest

Thanks all!