Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fire destroys Highland Park flower shop

This is no good. Driven by this place 100 times at least.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...rk-flower-shop

This is very sad news indeed. The Byron Flower Shop thrived and grew in spite of its difficult location. It is a wonderful family business where the kids and parents worked. They sustained a very brutal robbery about 25 years ago, but dug in expanded the facilty and provided their service to an underserved community. I always bought my flowers from them during my 30 years in HP just for that.

Very sad. Planned on patronizing the place. I think there was a small apt uptairs? Hopefully the family has some good insurance.

If I'm not mistaken, John Salley was married to the daughter of the owner back in the early nineties when he played for the Pistons.

I met the old man some years back, seated on the barstool next to me at the State Bar. Seemed like a great guy. He invited me to join he and his crew for bowling up at Renaissance, tho I never got around to it.

I planned on stopping in his shop many times coming home from PowerHouse, tho again, I never made time.

My job put me in contact with his son one night. It was sad to hear of his father's declining health as he battled Alzheimer's. The son, a firefighter, had taken over the business in recent years.

Funny how life can put you in touch with people. Sadly, just the other day while at court I overheard the bailiff talking about a homicide arraignment, which took the life of a friends son. Its ironic how connected we are in society, as its often far more than we realize.

Over the years I have bought a lot of flowers there. The workers were always super polite and the service was great.

They knew return business was dependant upon how they treated customers. I suspect they had a lot of return customers - this is a real shame.

I just drove by there last night and blinked when I saw the building reduced to rubble from the fast demolition that has occurred. I went around the block twice to verify what I was seeing! Its a heap of bricks now, yet on the side where the glass greenery still partial stand there it is fresh banner that states that they are "still in business" with a phone number......
    Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    This is no good. Driven by this place 100 times at least.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...rk-flower-shop

This is terrible news! I know one of the owners, Pat Duff, who is also a really wonderful artist! I hope they are all okay

How sad! For years, I would pass by that flower shop every day on my way to WSU.

The fire was a personal vendetta from the owner and it the customer. It's suspicious.