Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Z's Place

Default Z's Place

Located on Piquette about a block east of Woodward, the bartender told me it was a mayor residence, built in 1892. Two floors, great staff and service. The place specializes in Angus burgers and has a great chowder. Mature crowd. Great place to start the evening. Should have a small dance floor.....I noticed what appeared to be a fireplace.....not too price either...two burger combos with fries and house creamy slaw and hardy cup of Manhattan Clam Chowder was only 18 bucks...tap brews arent too pricey..bartender gave us a free sample of Blue Moon....check it out..
    Last edited by terryh; March-22-10 at 12:40 PM.

There have been a handful of Forum gatherings at Z's in past years. And Dave and I have taken a few friends there. Always good food, decent prices. Nice ambience, which will get even better when the no smoking law goes into effect. Plus on-site free parking!!

LodgeDodger Guest

Had lunch there yesterday with a friend. The roasted vegetable salad is one of the best!

DC48080 Guest

Great place! Friendly people and good food. I would recommend it to anyone.

Bearinabox Guest

Good pizza, too.

It's rare that I'm impressed by a simple burger, but Z's Model T Burger [[I think that's what they call it) was darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    It's rare that I'm impressed by a simple burger, but Z's Model T Burger [[I think that's what they call it) was darn good.
    thats what we had....lotta bang for the buck...Kathleen I was going to sugges Z's as an ideal gathering place..

I would enjoy actually eating in.

I had the burger as a carryout on a shoot. I can only imagine how much better it must taste right off the grill.

My wife and I enjoy it there.... Friendly staff and patrons...The chicken wings are spicy and crispy..

Z's Villa is an excellent place to eat and drink.

Great place to grab a few brews and a shuttle to a Lions game. They even have a free corn roast on some game days. Try the Nachos!!!

Wasnt there a Z's Place on Woodward at Warren [[before the WSU Welcome Center), or was that something else?

East Detroit, you're correct. It was a bar/casual restaurant and had a lot of live, LOCAL music, which is missed these days.

Used to go to the Z's Place on Woodward all the time for the Gumbo YaYa. Which I think they have at Z's Villa, too.

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Located on Piquette about a block east of Woodward, the bartender told me it was a mayor residence, built in 1928.
    If I'm remembering that house-turned-business correctly, it goes back way beyond 1928. It dates from the 1890s, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    If I'm remembering that house-turned-business correctly, it goes back way beyond 1928. It dates from the 1890s, I'd say.
    I just edited my post..youre correct I meant to write 1892. My Wife jokes that I have ADD [[adult deficit disorder) I drift off into lala land sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by lafayette View Post
    East Detroit, you're correct. It was a bar/casual restaurant and had a lot of live, LOCAL music, which is missed these days.
    I believe WSU got the property through eminent domain. The owners, if I recall properly, wanted to keep Z's place as it was but the government didn't allow it.

So as opposed to Zs, McDonalds, and a few other places [[again, if memory serves me correctly) we have a WSU buidling that has a ground level used 2-3 times per year. Big f'in waste if you ask me.

john Lodge - They still have Gumbo at Z's villa. Menu is pretty much the same between the two

the outdoor space is unique, the pizza is excellent as far as square pizza's go.

Can't believe I've missed this place. It sounds just great. Thanks for the recommendation!

great place! will pick up employees in the new center area and shuttle them to lunch and back. Ate there and was shuttled over to the Fisher Theater to see The Wizard of Oz. Good time!

Big outdoor bar and patio area.horse shoes, volleyball,etc

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    I just edited my post..youre correct I meant to write 1892. My Wife jokes that I have ADD [[adult deficit disorder) I drift off into lala land sometimes...
    DOH! Adult Attention Deficit Disorder I was sleepy that day....Good thing about the location its near Brush and Oakland Ave North End Neighborhood..stop in for a sauna pool and a hot tub at the Schvitz or check out the fabulous ruins on Oakland Ave on the way home...shoot over to Holbrook and stop at White Star for two floors of techno dancing but behave because there are as I recall some very firm no nonsense bouncers to monitor two floors of fun...