Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

The Dude Guest

Default 24/7 Detroit TV News Channel

Anybody think that it's time for Detroit to have a 24/7 TV news channel?

Let's see:

New York has NY1
    Chicago has CLTV
    Tampa Bay has Bay News9, but only for those who have Bright House Cable.

Even Orlando Florida has central Florida news. cfnews13.com

Is it time? Yes.
    Will we get it? No.
    The way newsroom budgets are being slashed these days .. I wouldn't bet a plug mickel on it.

Is there even any purpose for a local 24/7 news channel? Even the national ones [[CNN, MSNBC) are only on 8 hours of the day while leaving the overnight hours for reruns of their commentary programs [[overrated?). I mean Detroit is also the only affiliate that doesn't have a legit CBS newscast and we're long overdue for one. So what makes one think we can support a local 24/7 cable channel? Yes, we have a 24/7 newsradio station but much of it is fluff after they repeat the national CBS or Detroit Free Press headlines. I wouldn't expect much more than a icing-filled regular newscast at certain points during the day with infomercials to fill the rest of that time. Of course we already have that with the current NBC/ABC/FOX affiliates. Detroit's a pretty boring city anyway and does in fact sleep at night, unless you're talking about some preppy documentaries about sucessful businesses and a suburban family or another crime incident. It's highly unlikely we're missing anything important other than what our current news outlets give us.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-21-10 at 09:27 AM.

The Dude Guest

I'm sure that one of station owners Scripps-Howard 7, Post-Newsweek 4, or News Corporation[[Fox) 2 could find a way. If not, one of the cable companies, say Comcast could do it. I believe that people would rather watch important local events e.g Kwame in court on TV rather than at a computer without some people giving up their soaps.

The Dude Guest

I remember back in 1980, a lot of people did not think that CNN would last. Or that in 1982 a lot of people did not think that we needed a national newspaper like USA Today because the News and Free Press were enough and that USA Today did not and still does not, have comics.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yes, we have a 24/7 newsradio station but much of it is fluff after they repeat the national CBS or Detroit Free Press headlines.
    ...except for the fact they have their own reporters.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rid0617 View Post
    Even Orlando Florida has central Florida news. cfnews13.com
    I see just like Bay News 9 in Tampa Bay it is a Bright House Networks station. I think Bright House is available only in LIVONIA around here, I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    ...except for the fact they have their own reporters.
    Any typical news station has reporters.

I don't quite get your point...

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I remember back in 1980, a lot of people did not think that CNN would last. Or that in 1982 a lot of people did not think that we needed a national newspaper like USA Today because the News and Free Press were enough and that USA Today did not and still does not, have comics.
    Times have changed quite a bit since the early 1980s.

CNN is an entirely different channel now. Everything seems nice when first introduced, then it gets worse with time. 24/7 news channels now are either money vacuums or political propaganda networks. They have no intent of accurately informing the public if it's against hteir agenda, and the lastest statisitcs show Americans no longer trust cable news networks.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-21-10 at 05:41 PM.

hmm.... I wouldn't be offended-- but who would/could bankroll such a thing? with the heavily corporatized nature of news media ownership today, competition with the web, etc., it would be very challenging for a local startup..

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Any typical news station has reporters.

I don't quite get your point...
    You make it seem they only get there news from the Free Press, when they get the same press releases FP, News, 2, 4, and 7 do. You don't give them the legitmacy of being a real news outlet, which they are.

Having been to Tampa many times, I liked Bay News 9, though it gets repetitive. They have a lot of local news, items for each county, which rotate through the hour, weather on the nines I believe. There is room for a lot of high school sports coverage, road construction, personal interest stories. They also coordinate with county/local papers [[kinda like the Observer, etc). So maybe a deal could be made to share some of the resources. Bay News 9 reporters seem to have been there forever, too. Maybe CBS/WWJ can offer a digital all-news channel, and use their reporters too, rather than do a cookie cutter news broadcast like the other channels. Local news used to be so much better, and I don't mean Bill Bonds' toupee either.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    Having been to Tampa many times, I liked Bay News 9, though it gets repetitive. They have a lot of local news, items for each county, which rotate through the hour, weather on the nines I believe. There is room for a lot of high school sports coverage, road construction, personal interest stories. They also coordinate with county/local papers [[kinda like the Observer, etc). So maybe a deal could be made to share some of the resources. Bay News 9 reporters seem to have been there forever, too. Maybe CBS/WWJ can offer a digital all-news channel, and use their reporters too, rather than do a cookie cutter news broadcast like the other channels. Local news used to be so much better, and I don't mean Bill Bonds' toupee either.
    As a sub channel, e.g Ch. 62.2? Or maybe one of the cable companies could have their own news channel the way Bright House does.