Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SoulTrain

Default SoulTrain

Does anybody remember a local dance show on TV maybe Channel 62 I think in the early 80's or so...they would do the Soul Train type of line dance with couples sometime during the show...Name of show/channel?

Channel 62... either "The Scene" or possibly also "The New Dance Show".

My pre-teen years are quite fuzzy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSxgyHoE8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b4pVpwHLWo

edited to add: whoa, I was right... it is both The Scene and The New Dance Show.

http://boingboing.net/2009/04/03/the...legendary.html
    Last edited by Malcove Magnesia; March-20-10 at 05:42 PM.

It's six o'clock
    I's time to rock!
    We'll rock non-stop 'till seven o'clock!
    We won't stop, We'll won't stop.

We'll rock non-stop till seven o'clock.
    Say hip-hop hippity hop
    We'll jam, jam jam on!

Dancers come from all around
    to throw down in this here geektown!

We'll rock non-stop till seven o'clock
    Its six o'clock, everybody's clean
    Its six O'Clock and time for the Scene!

With you host, Nat Morris!
    Produced by R.J. Watkins.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; March-20-10 at 07:55 PM.

"...Sugar is sugar,
    Salt is salt
    If you didn't get off,
    It's not our fault..."

Nat Morris

The Dude Guest

Default Other Detroit TV Dance Shows

Currently there's Dance Party on WADL-TV

Through the Detroit TV years there's been
    Teen Town
    Club 1270
    The Lively Spot
    Swingin'Time
    Detroit Bandstand

If you know of any others, post.
    Last edited by The Dude; March-20-10 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling

My auntie, uncle and cousins were on The Scene!!! I was soooo jealous... I was a baby and toddler in the late 1970s, and then a little kid under them in the early 1980s. By the time I was a teen in the early 1990s, it was over.

I was going to post some YouTube vids, but I see someone beat me to it. Ahhh, this was my CHILDHOOD!

MC Hammer LIVE at Joe Louis Arena: They Put Me in the Mix
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNKpDlKCQ7E

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    My auntie, uncle and cousins were on The Scene!!! I was soooo jealous... I was a baby and toddler in the late 1970s, and then a little kid under them in the early 1980s. By the time I was a teen in the early 1990s, it was over.

I was going to post some YouTube vids, but I see someone beat me to it. Ahhh, this was my CHILDHOOD!

MC Hammer LIVE at Joe Louis Arena: They Put Me in the Mix
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNKpDlKCQ7E
    English, why did you post that link to a Hammer video? You got watching Hammer videos on YouTube. Got to miss the 90's.

Pretty sure that was '89. Besides, it was a live performance at the JLA...
    Last edited by English; March-21-10 at 05:39 PM.

... I wonder how many tapes remain intact of the old footage.. they maybe could make some money putting together dvd sets..

In the early 80's I had a friend in high school who danced on The Scene all the time!!! She was one of the very rare white female faces on the show, but man she LOVED being on that show!!!

Lizanne,
    Was your friend's first name Cheryl? If so, I knew her brother.

Default New Dance Show

The New Dance Show was on 62 well into the nineties, in the afternoon and at night I believe, before they became "Big Time TV". My brother and I would watch it after school. I was in awe at how fast some some of those women could shake their booties, it was amazing. I also have fond memories of the dance line, especially when the mask/cape/cane guy [[we called him The Phantom) would come down. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by GANG4 View Post
    Does anybody remember a local dance show on TV maybe Channel 62 I think in the early 80's or so...they would do the Soul Train type of line dance with couples sometime during the show...Name of show/channel?
    I don't remember that but I remember a dancing show actually called "Soul Train" - can't remember but I thought it was on channel 50 at the time - back in the early 70's and possibly late 60's. There was a black sillhouette of a train in the background of the stage. I think it was of the locomotive coming at you. I can still remember the introduction to that show--being announced "SOOOOOOOUUL Train!"

Ms. Energy was the host of the New Dance Show. Classic 90's cult show!

Quote Originally Posted by a100driver View Post
    Lizanne,
    Was your friend's first name Cheryl? If so, I knew her brother.
    No - Cindy. We went to Ferndale High.

Soul Train reruns are still on Comcast cable. Don Cornelius was the host. Great memories...love reliving those 70's fashions, Afros and talent. The other day, Stevie Wonder and the Whispers were the guests; the week before had James Brown.

Does anyone remember the extremely short-lived "Contempo?" Early 1988. It was the brain child of myself, Joe Spencer [[then program director of WGPR), and Gerald McBride. George Matthews, the bigshot at WGPR, wanted to bring "The Scene" in-house [[it was a Nat Morris production at the time), so he decided to blow up the Scene and run a new dance show we called Contempo. I volunteered my time to be part of the production team, and was fired for "not being in my proper workplace." Huh? Now you see why GPR never has ratings on their radio station. The sooner they sell it the better.

"Contempo" lasted for about five minutes, and was pulled in favor of the "New Dance Show." It's funny that "The Scene" was the only thing that brought in ratings on the old TV 62, but they blew it up anyway. Go figure.

The Scene was, as a viewer, ummm, an important part of my puberty and teenage years. Yes, it was. Later on, when I was working at the City-County Building, one of the women I worked with had been a Scene dancer. I almost fainted when she said yes when I asked her out.

Fast Freddy was da man!

wow...... so much good to say in here. I remember it as being terrible, even tho I lived w one of the dancers. They all thought it was their forum to fame. I lived right around the corner when they started filming at "maxies" [[or whateve it was at that time) on 96 and telegraph. sorry, it was a terrible show

I was there!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Pretty sure that was '89. Besides, it was a live performance at the JLA...

i watched a few clips on you tube. Amazing how THIN everyone is.......

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Soul Train reruns are still on Comcast cable. Don Cornelius was the host. Great memories...love reliving those 70's fashions, Afros and talent. The other day, Stevie Wonder and the Whispers were the guests; the week before had James Brown.
    I remember when Soul Train was actively on, it was channel-jumping for a while.. at one point on TV 20, then 50, then 62.. I forget if it was ever on one of the VHF stations..

Did any 1980s-era detroit artists show up to the scene on occasion? Cherrelle? Keith Washington?

Oh DYessers!!!! Hoping someone can help. My friend was on Soul Train "back in the day". Her birthday is in October and we'd love to get a copy of the old tape [[maybe more for our entertainment than hers!!!). Does anyone have a clue where we'd begin to track this down? She won't divulge the exact date. There must be somewhere these archives are stored. Are we looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

Hypestyles,

I do know that Keith Washington appeared either on The Scene or Latenight with RJ Watkins, but I don't know if he was on Soul Train. Latenight hosted anybody and everybody who had a record who was from Detroit.

Anybody know whatever happened to Keith?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast